spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shepd
join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON

shepd to AkFubar

to AkFubar

Re: What time is the hearing for Jan14th?

said by AkFubar:

TSI was denied the $190K they were seeking for the IDs of the IPs that Voltage provided. Presumably because the matter of the release of the IDs is still not decided.

So it's just temporary then, they should still be able to fight for it in the future when the matter is settled?

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

said by shepd:

said by AkFubar:

TSI was denied the $190K they were seeking for the IDs of the IPs that Voltage provided. Presumably because the matter of the release of the IDs is still not decided.

So it's just temporary then, they should still be able to fight for it in the future when the matter is settled?

I would think so. Depends on the exact wording the judge used. Not sure if it was a direct quote from the judge we were given on Twitter. Financial Post was covering this, might be a write up on this with more details from them.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

2 edits

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Re: [Twitter] Ressy | PAnderson| MGeist | SVILaw

Don't have a twitter account, no problem you can see the actual tweets themselves
here: Search Results: #teksavvy OR Twubs #Teksavvy
quote:
See these for full threads with a little more detail:
@PAnderson
@SVILaw
@mgeist
@RessyM
@christinedobby
and see if you can make heads & Tails of it on your own
Cheers

AkFubar
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar to callous10

to callous10

Already posted in Financial Post: »business.financialpost.c ··· ng-case/
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

said by TwiztedZero:

Judge: no costs. #voltage #teksavvy (SVILaw)

I missed this one... No costs for anyone or just for Voltage's lame request for costs due to adjournment?

No costs yet.....this circus isn't over, so don't expect any costs awards until later on in the process. Even if Voltage 'wins' release of the data, TSI will probably get some costs for the assembly of the data they compiled but will probably not get all their legitimate costs of the full court action.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to AkFubar

Premium Member

to AkFubar

In the National Post article:
"Judge Mandamin said this needs careful explanation and the court needs to be well informed of the connection between IP addresses and the information Voltage has on alleged infringers."

Sounds like it's right up JF's alley

We walked in, sat down, Obie came in with the twenty seven eight-by-ten
colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back
of each one, sat down. Man came in said, "All rise." We all stood up,
and Obie stood up with the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
pictures, and the judge walked in sat down with a seeing eye dog, and he
sat down, we sat down. Obie looked at the seeing eye dog, and then at the
twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows
and a paragraph on the back of each one, and looked at the seeing eye dog.
And then at twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one and began to cry,
'cause Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American
blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and the
judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each
one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us. And
we was fined $50 and had to pick up the garbage in the snow, but thats not
what I came to tell you about.

--- Alice's Restaurant, by Arlo Guthrie

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Dr Facts

Premium Member

to Dr Facts
quote:
Judge: What is the connection between IP number and parties. Not automatically apparent what that is. #voltage (PAnderson)
This is very important.

It is absolutely obvious to anyone that an IP address does not equal a single person using that IP address, and that person being the account holder.

I would think that if the judge is seeking this info, that it can be very easily explained to him.

mmmm
@207.61.188.x

mmmm to callous10

Anon

to callous10
11am
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to callous10

Premium Member

to callous10
I literally got chills when the Judge asked/stated about being able to confirm if the subscriber of the specific IP, was in fact the copyright infringer.

Its taken US courts quiet a long time to realize that its not.

AkFubar
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar to callous10

to callous10
LOL mebbe the judge was reading this forum.
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I read it as, the judge was unwilling to make a pronouncement and set a precedent, but was subtly hinting to Voltage that what they are attempting was unconscionable. That, combined with asking how Voltage attempted to deal with 1000 defendants in his court indicates to me that the judge knows what's going on.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by stevey_frac:

I read it as, the judge was unwilling to make a pronouncement and set a precedent, but was subtly hinting to Voltage that what they are attempting was unconscionable. That, combined with asking how Voltage attempted to deal with 1000 defendants in his court indicates to me that the judge knows what's going on.

Yes & no..

He said he already had a major case that is taking up his time, and didn't know whether or not he'd be able to take this case on on top of the original major case.
Which was why he wasn't going to make any major decisions, so that another judge who did have the time - as this is going to a major full day court date sometime after the 22nd - could make all the decisions, without some other judge's decisions/prejudices getting in the way.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 edit

MaynardKrebs to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

quote:
Judge: What is the connection between IP number and parties. Not automatically apparent what that is. #voltage (PAnderson)
This is very important.

It is absolutely obvious to anyone that an IP address does not equal a single person using that IP address, and that person being the account holder.

I would think that if the judge is seeking this info, that it can be very easily explained to him.

We all thought that it would be easy to 'splain simple things to 'Konrad and the Commissioners'tm too.
Look how long that took to sink in, and how much shit ensued because it didn't sink in early on. We're still dealing with the fallout from that 5+ years later.

Konrad and the Commissioners is a registered trademark of Maynard G. Krebs Enterprises, Panama, Limited.
All Rights Reserved.

Poser
join:2002-07-28

Poser to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero

Voltage accuses CIPPIC and Teksavvy working together to create delays. I wonder if Voltage, Rogers and Bell are working together to try to bleed Teksavvy out of a large sum of money in court costs.

190k is a lot of money. Can Teksavvy afford this?
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

1 recommendation

JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

said by TwiztedZero:

Judge: no costs. #voltage #teksavvy (SVILaw)

I missed this one... No costs for anyone or just for Voltage's lame request for costs due to adjournment?

I confirmed this with SVILaw - the costs that were denied were Voltage's request that CIPPIC pay their costs for adjournment.