Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: New Quebec Class Action against Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido

said by Guspaz:

Of course you can turn off data roaming on Telus, it's a feature present on most smartphones. The phone itself will refuse to data roam if told to.

While I'm think he meant on the provider side of things, it's worthwhile to point out that you can't turn data roaming off if the phone doesn't think it's roaming even though it actually is.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Does the phone think it's on TELUS (and show that as the network) when it's in the US? I mean, unless AT&T's towers are advertising themselves as TELUS, I don't see how this could be a problem.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Does the phone think it's on TELUS (and show that as the network) when it's in the US? I mean, unless AT&T's towers are advertising themselves as TELUS, I don't see how this could be a problem.

It has nothing to do with AT&T and everything to do with how Telus' PRL treats AT&T.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

It has nothing to do with AT&T and everything to do with how Telus' PRL treats AT&T.

As I own a Telus phone and have been to the US multiple times with it, I can say with certainty that the phone will display that it is on AT&T once it gets out of Telus range and into AT&T's towers and will warn you multiple times that if you use data at that point, you will be subject to roaming fees.

I had celluar data turned off and had no surprises on my bill when I returned to Canada (I only used the phone on wifi hotspots and wifi networks)

The next time I hit the US, I intend to buy a T-Mobile SIM and sign up for a per day data package while I'm there.

NefCanuck