uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Connector strengthening

In my wife's vehicle, I added a Blitzsafe module that allows iPods to interface with the factory stereo. It uses this cable:

Problem is, over time and with heavy usage, the wires have seemingly broke at the iPod connector end. I suspect the issue, which will likely NOT be avoided in the future, is people tucking the cable and iPod into the storage pocket and bending it too much.

I don't know if this is a common problem. Blitzsafe does have a new version of the cable but this aspect of it did NOT change.

I want to reinforce the cable to help avoid this. Ideally, I would use heat-shrink tubing but I'd want it to partially wrap around the "plug" itself and the cable. In order to get it around the plug though, I'd need pretty big tubing and doesn't heat-shrink tubing have a ratio of it's original diameter vs what it will shrink to ?

Any suggestions ?

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

Quite frankly you do not need to wrap the connector it's self. The breaks caused by flexing are usually right near the part where the molded anti-flex part is. Just a few layers of a stiff heat-shrink should make it last longer. But in reality it's always gong to break so you need to look into other ways of preventing the flexing. Like find a better location to put the iPod. I assume this plugs into a car stereo that controls the iPod. So there is no reason the iPod could not be placed in the glove compartment in such a way that the cord does not need to be bent sharply.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Hall

The glove box would be too far. It's in a 2005 Honda Odyssey and looks like this:

Below the HVAC controls is a cubby with a flip-down door. That's where it's at (and the cable is run into). I could change it but a) it's easy-to-reach*, b) hides the iPod from passing eyes**, and c)
my wife has to be happy with the location.

* I'm not suggesting that the iPod is fiddled with frequently while driving
** I know there's no real security with this but the idea is not to leave the iPod in there all the time. The idea is, someone looks in, sees nothing interesting, and moves on.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to b10010011

Finally got around to ordering that cable and then went over to Parts Express to see what I could do. A guy there thought the same as you, that the heat-shrink will help but won't stop the problem in the long run. He proposed a great idea though....

-- Buy an iPod extension cable

This way, the expensive ($30), proprietary cable remains tucked away under the dashboard and if the connector on the extension breaks, it's a $7 part to replace.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1

They make docks for cars. Its basically just a 30 pin (or whatever the ipod connector is) passthrough connector built into a plastic dock. A friend has one that bolts to the dash and has a little back plate to support the iphone. He picked it up from a street vendor in NYC, so no idea on the make or model, but I'm sure they are out there.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

And how would I connect that to the head unit ?

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

-- Buy an iPod extension cable

This way, the expensive ($30), proprietary cable remains tucked away under the dashboard and if the connector on the extension breaks, it's a $7 part to replace.

That is a good idea.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

And how would I connect that to the head unit ?

»www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-pro···g35.html
That is a really old article, but the concept is the same. The special cable that runs from the head unit to the iphone/ipod would plug into the back of the dock instead, then the iphone/ipod would sit in the dock. Its just a piece of plastic with a 90 degree adapter inside. female on one side, male on the other.