uniqs

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Porting number to Anveo from Bell Canada - any problems?

Hello:

I am about to port my home phone number to Anveo.com from Bell Canada. I have, with Bell: Home phone, Internet & FibeTV.

Has anyone successfully done this port, and, did you have any problems?

Thanks,

Rob.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by RobThompson:

I am about to port my home phone number to Anveo.com from Bell Canada. I have, with Bell: Home phone, Internet & FibeTV.

Has anyone successfully done this port, and, did you have any problems?

I've never used Anveo, but I've handled many ports from similar circumstances. Never had any problems; but once you have a confirmation that your number will port it's a good idea to call Bell and make sure they know you want to keep the Internet and TV on a dry loop.

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks Trevor.
JJ_GTA
Premium Member
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

JJ_GTA

Premium Member

+1 for Trev.

I've ported quite a few numbers out from Bell to Anveo and to VoIP.ms without issue.

Bell might charge you a dry loop fee for your Fibe without home phone.

Let us know what happens. I'm waiting for Fibe in my neighbourhood and will have the same situation.
swarner
join:2008-02-08
Hamilton, ON

swarner to RobThompson

to RobThompson
I did exactly what you are about to embark on.

The port went smoothly ... took about a week.
I tested to ensure that all was well and then called Bell.
I explained that my phone number had been ported but that I still had internet access through Bell and that I wanted to maintain that service.

The Bell rep said ... "no problem ... we'll take care of it"

Two weeks later my internet went dead.
Called Bell on my cell ... because my home number was now dead.
They apologized ... and had the internet back up within 24 hours.

My advice ... speak to one of the internet techs and explain what you are doing ... after the port completes. They are in a better position to help you.

BTW ... I haven't been charged a dry loop fee.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
I had a problem porting to Anveo (not from Bell Canada though).

Details are here:

»Ported Anveo # can't be reached from Verizon POTS lines

In a nutshell - after port is completed call to your Anveo number from different networks and the other way around to make sure calls are coming through.

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

2 edits

RobThompson to swarner

Premium Member

to swarner
said by swarner:

I did exactly what you are about to embark on.

The port went smoothly ... took about a week.
I tested to ensure that all was well and then called Bell.
I explained that my phone number had been ported but that I still had internet access through Bell and that I wanted to maintain that service.

The Bell rep said ... "no problem ... we'll take care of it"

Two weeks later my internet went dead.
Called Bell on my cell ... because my home number was now dead.
They apologized ... and had the internet back up within 24 hours.

My advice ... speak to one of the internet techs and explain what you are doing ... after the port completes. They are in a better position to help you.

BTW ... I haven't been charged a dry loop fee.

Is there a special way to:

"My advice ... speak to one of the internet techs and explain what you are doing ... after the port completes. They are in a better position to help you."

Well, I guess the 'porting' is complete. When I call my home phone from my cell phone, I see an entry in the Anveo call log.

At the moment, I have been testing AcroVoice for some friends & family who are looking for a 'I don't want to know anything about VoIP!' solution to switch to VoIP - I must say that AcroVoice provides an excellent, absolutely trouble-free service.

I tell you this because, when I make an outgoing call from my home phone, it goes out through AcroVoice and therefore there is no entry in my Anveo call log. (My ported home from number is presently 'forwarded' to my AcroVoice number)

I guess it is time to notify Bell that I am dropping my $70.00 per month (before taxes of roughly 15%) telephone line and switching to a $2.80 USD per month phone number on Anveo living in my $7.85 USD per month Anveo Starter Package. Total: $10.65 USD per month & no 15% tax.

I will wait until Monday because, if things 'go South', my wife will kill me if we lose Internet and FibeTV over a long weekend. (here in Canada.)

I'll let you know the outcome next week.

If anyone has any further advice, please tell me before Monday.

Thanks,

Rob.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro

Regarding the dry loop fee, Bell doesn't charge it to their own customers, only to third party ISPs.
As far as porting, don't expect it to happen over 2-3 days. For land lines it usually takes at least 10 days.

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

So, my wife came home from work tonight, turned on the TV and, NOTHING!!!!

We called Bell and were 'escalated' (it didn't hurt) to a level 2 tech who said that he had to setup a 'dry-loop'.

He did that and our TV worked again.

I don't know if we will have to pay for being 'dry-looped' or not.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
There won't be a dry-loop fee. As toro See Profile mentioned, Bell (and Telus for that matter) only charges dry-loop fees if you have no POTS service and have DSL via an independent ISP. They don't charge dry-loop fees (either activation or monthly) if the customer uses the Bell's or Telus' own DSL service.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson

(mostly for the other readers)

This topic (moved here from CBB forum) also seems to cover moving from Bell to Anveo.

»Suggestions to get rid of Bell phone?