spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jmayes456
@charter.com

jmayes456

Anon

[Services] porting from at&t isdn to magic jack

I started the porting procedure 2 weeks ago and still nothing has happened, the ISDN is working normally and the Magic jack acts like it has the new number attached but when dialed the ISDN rings normally. Of course MG support sucks and says only to wait (no clue how long). Originally this was suppose to take only 10 days max. Does anyone have some advise on anything I should do on my end?

Thanks

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by jmayes456 :

I started the porting procedure 2 weeks ago and still nothing has happened, the ISDN is working normally and the Magic jack acts like it has the new number attached but when dialed the ISDN rings normally. Of course MG support sucks and says only to wait (no clue how long). Originally this was suppose to take only 10 days max. Does anyone have some advise on anything I should do on my end?

Thanks

There is really nothing you can do. The porting process is initiated by the new service provider, and it is their responsibility to get it done.

AT&T is notorious for dragging their feet when it comes to porting out a number, and sometimes the new carrier has to keep submitting the port request multiple times until AT&T finally tells them which "i" wasn't dotted or which "t" wasn't crossed (instead of just not replying at all, or rejecting the port request with no reason given). Of course, that assumes that the new provider is actually motivated to go to that much trouble. And that is exactly why AT&T drags their feet; they are counting on the other carrier just giving up.

jmayes456
@charter.com

jmayes456

Anon

NetFixer, Thank you for the information! I plan on canceling the ISDN account as soon as the port is complete, can that be done now or would that keep me from ever getting my old number back?

Thankx again

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by jmayes456 :

NetFixer, Thank you for the information! I plan on canceling the ISDN account as soon as the port is complete, can that be done now or would that keep me from ever getting my old number back?

Thankx again

If you cancel the ISDN account before you have been officially notified that the port process is complete (and before you have tested to be sure that it is complete), I can almost guarantee that you will lose the number(s).

I said number(s) because an ISDN BRI circuit usually has two telephone numbers assigned to it. That may in fact be what is holding up the number port process. If you are only porting one of the numbers, AT&T may be holding up the port process because they can't/won't keep the account active if it only has one number (and they won't split it up and port just one number). I had a similar problem many years ago when I tried to transfer an ISDN account to a POTS account (the ISDN and the new POTS account were with BellSouth, so it wasn't even a port) in order to get a DSL connection. AT&T did not offer dry DSL in those days, and I wanted to keep the ISDN number that I used for my home telephone number (the other ISDN number was used for data, and I didn't need it after the DSL was active). I eventually had to order a RingMaster number for the new POTS line so that I could transfer both of the ISDN numbers to the new POTS account before BellSouth would do it.

I had a similar situation when AT&T shutdown their CallVantage service. My account had two lines, but I only wanted to port the line I used for my business line to AT&T Mobility, and just terminate the second number. AT&T CallVantage kept denying the port (even to another AT&T division), but would not say why. It finally took a three way conference call that an AT&T Mobility VP setup before AT&T CallVantage would say why they were denying the port, and agree to allow just the one number to be ported (and then close the account).

jmayes456
@charter.com

jmayes456

Anon

I think you hit it on the head, I only want one number ported and the other I was going to drop. Would getting a 2nd MJ ported to the 2nd number help? Or would port requests coming from two different orders continue to confuse things? I wonder If I could call At&T and terminate the 2nd number somehow? Thankx again for the great info you provide.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by jmayes456 :

I think you hit it on the head, I only want one number ported and the other I was going to drop. Would getting a 2nd MJ ported to the 2nd number help? Or would port requests coming from two different orders continue to confuse things? I wonder If I could call At&T and terminate the 2nd number somehow? Thankx again for the great info you provide.

The only thing that will help is for MagicJack to be persistent in pushing the port process. If you call AT&T at this point and attempt to do anything with your AT&T ISDN account, that could end up effectively canceling the port process. Eventually AT&T will have to either approve the port, or tell MagicJack that the port has been denied. At that point, MagicJack will have to find out why the port was denied and do whatever is required to meet AT&T's requirements. The port process is intended to be handled between the two service providers, and there is no official place for the customer in that process. I was only involved in the AT&T CallVantage to AT&T Mobility porting problem because AT&T CallVantage requested that I be included in a conference call so that they could verify what I wanted done with the orphaned phone number (and presumably record the conversation).
jmayes
join:2012-11-20

jmayes

Thankx again for the info, I will sit tight for awhile longer. I just don't know how I will get MJ to escalate if needed, as I said their CS is horrible.