how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pacpac

join:2011-12-18
kudos:1

RV042/PAP2T/no-NAT

Hi, I am using a PAP2T to access my Asterisk/Freepbx VPS. Is there a way I can connect the PAP2T to the RV042 and achieve no-NAT (I need the RTP stream to go directly between the endpoints and Asterisk to only do the SIP signalling), and at the same time use the Load Balancing feature with my 2 cable modems in the RV042? If so, how do I configure? Thanks.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13

So the RV042 gets a public IP address, as does the Asterisk/Freepbx VPS?

Easiest way I can think of is toss a layer 2 switch in front of the RV042, run one cable to the RV042,
the 2nd to the Asterisk/Freepbx VPS.

Regards

pacpac

reply to pacpac

I am trying that as we speak. I have a 5-port switch and have connected the cable modem to one port, run a cable to the RV042 and a cable to the PAP2T (a VoIP adapter, not the Asterisk/Freepbx VPS, the PAP2T connects to the VPS, which is off-site). The one cable modem hands out one public IP to the RV042 and a second, different, public IP to the PAP2T. When accessing the cable modem on 192.168.100.1, I see the MAC for the RV042 and the MAC for the PAP2T. This seems to work, but I have not confirmed with the ISP that the cable modem is capable of, or the ISP will permit 2 dynamic IPs on one connection. This is a Motorola Surfboard SB 5101, do you know if this cable modem can handle 2 MACs in addition to its own MAC?

Also, what is a layer 2 switch? How would I know I have a layer 2 switch? The switch I am trying out is a TP-link 5-port 10/100 desktop switch, model TL-SF1005D.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by pacpac:

I am trying that as we speak. I have a 5-port switch and have connected the cable modem to one port, run a cable to the RV042 and a cable to the PAP2T (a VoIP adapter, not the Asterisk/Freepbx VPS, the PAP2T connects to the VPS, which is off-site). The one cable modem hands out one public IP to the RV042 and a second, different, public IP to the PAP2T. When accessing the cable modem on 192.168.100.1, I see the MAC for the RV042 and the MAC for the PAP2T. This seems to work, but I have not confirmed with the ISP that the cable modem is capable of, or the ISP will permit 2 dynamic IPs on one connection. This is a Motorola Surfboard SB 5101, do you know if this cable modem can handle 2 MACs in addition to its own MAC?

Also, what is a layer 2 switch? How would I know I have a layer 2 switch? The switch I am trying out is a TP-link 5-port 10/100 desktop switch, model TL-SF1005D.

A "layer 2" switch is just a normal non-managed (AKA plug and play) network switch.

I connect my Vonage ATA through a switch behind my cable modem instead of putting it behind a NAT router, but it is strictly your ISP who determines if you can have multiple CPE MAC addresses active at the same time over your connection; the modem itself will do whatever the ISP's config file tells it to do.

Here is my "Addresses" list from my SB6121 modem, and a diagram showing my current network config. My current setup only works because I am paying Comcast for five IP addresses.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pacpac

reply to pacpac

Thank you for sharing, very useful. As said, what I am looking for is to have my PAP2T (as your RTP300/ATA) directly to one cable modem via a switch and a second cable to the RV042 (call quality is better with no-NAT and direct RTP stream), and the second cable modem directly to the second WAN on RV042. Behind the RV042 I will set a wireless single WAN Linksys, a Skype phone and a Windows 7 machine. So, a much simpler set-up than yours. As indicated in my other post, I only have 1 dynamic IP for each cable modem for the moment, and I need 3 IPs. I have requested my ISP for 2 static IPs and 1 dynamic IP. As per your response to my other post, I probably need dynamic/dynamic or static/static on the RV042 in LB mode. So, I will do the 2 static IPs to the RV042 and the dynamic IP to the PAP2T. Will that work OK? Also, on my cable modem it says "Known CPE MAC Address (Max 2)", is the one MAC address for the modem "self" included in the Max 2 (one line says under Status "Self" and the other line says "Learned", is this the ISP config file or limitation of the modem itself?

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

2 edits

said by pacpac:

Thank you for sharing, very useful. As said, what I am looking for is to have my PAP2T (as your RTP300/ATA) directly to one cable modem via a switch and a second cable to the RV042 (call quality is better with no-NAT and direct RTP stream), and the second cable modem directly to the second WAN on RV042. Behind the RV042 I will set a wireless single WAN Linksys, a Skype phone and a Windows 7 machine. So, a much simpler set-up than yours. As indicated in my other post, I only have 1 dynamic IP for each cable modem for the moment, and I need 3 IPs. I have requested my ISP for 2 static IPs and 1 dynamic IP. As per your response to my other post, I probably need dynamic/dynamic or static/static on the RV042 in LB mode. So, I will do the 2 static IPs to the RV042 and the dynamic IP to the PAP2T. Will that work OK? Also, on my cable modem it says "Known CPE MAC Address (Max 2)", is the one MAC address for the modem "self" included in the Max 2 (one line says under Status "Self" and the other line says "Learned", is this the ISP config file or limitation of the modem itself?

If your cable modem says "CPE MAC Address (Max 2)", then your ISP should be allowing you to use two connected devices simultaneously, just as my ISP permits me to use five connected devices via the "(Max 5)" statement. The "(Max 2)" statement in your modem(s) should not include the cable modem's own MAC address, and it is derived from the config file that your ISP uploads to your modem. However, you would really need to contact your ISP to find out exactly what their rules are.

I am somewhat confused now about what kind of account(s) you have with your ISP. Do you have two separate accounts, or are you connecting two modems to the same physical connection with only one account? If you have only a single account with your ISP, that could explain some of the problems you have been having.

As for how you allocate the static and dynamic IP addresses your ISP assigns to you, you would need to ask them about their "rules of engagement". I can't imagine an ISP that would assign both static and dynamic IP addresses to the same account, but different ISPs in different countries have different rules.

Also, your ISP assigned "static IP" addresses may still be assigned to you via DHCP simply by them doing a DHCP reservation for the MAC addresses involved, and they would still look like dynamic IP addresses to you, and you might still need to use DHCP on your router WAN interface. The difference would be that the IP addresses would not change as long as you continued to use the same MAC addresses on the router WAN interface (this is one reason that most Ethernet routers allow changing the WAN MAC address). When I had static IP addresses with both AT&T and Covad, I received them as dynamic IP addresses, but they simply did not change due to how the ISP had my account setup.

I use DHCP reservations for most of the devices on my LAN, so that each device always gets the same IP address (but if I make network infrastructure changes, I don't need to change multiple static IP devices):

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pacpac

reply to pacpac

I have 2 separate accounts with my ISP and I have 2 Motorola Surfboards installed with 2 different cables coming into the house. As far as I understand, the 2 accounts are completely separate. When I do speedtest on the RV042 in LB mode, I see double speed up and down, i.e. approx 8 down and approx 2 up, each account is 4/1.

I will request 2 static IPs on one account and identify which one of the cable modems having those 2 static IPs.

I have set static IPs in LAN on all devices, i.e. 192.168.x.xxx, and on the RV042 I have turned off DHCP reservation.

Am I correct to assume that since one cable modem issues 2 dynamic IPs that I can use them fully? When I connect the switch directly to that cable modem, the PAP2T (works fine) to the switch and one WAN port to the switch (the other WAN port on the RV042 goes to the second cable modem), I sometimes get problems loading pages fully and other times the connection drops. I spoke with my ISP today and they insist their connections is up all times. Even when I have eac cable modem connected directly to the RV042, the connection drops.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13
reply to pacpac

said by pacpac:

Also, what is a layer 2 switch?

Practically any switch you can get off your local electronics retailer for $100 or less. What you've got is a layer 2 switch.

Dumb question, are you on a residential account with the ISP, or business? Happy to help you out where we can,
but between figuring out the LB part, and the stability issues (which is better handled by the ISP than over a forum
board) there's alot of these questions about the MAC address limit and connection stability that's better addressed
by the ISP. If you're on a business account, I'd start by beating up the account manager and saying "this is what
I want to do, who do I talk to to get it to work?"

Just my 00000010bits.

Regards

pacpac

reply to pacpac

Thanks for clarification.

I have 2 residential accounts. Have spoken with the ISP to get 2 static IPs, which will convert my accounts to a business/corporate accounts. This will take some days to get sorted.