Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3

DLNA Help w/Media Player Device

Somewhat cross posted from here:
»[WIN8] Windows 8 Multimedia Device Issue

I have Windows 8 Pro (installed over Windows 7) and have a WDTV Live Pro media player.

The WDTV Live Plus is not showing up under Devices in Windows 8 and thus I'm unable to get Serviio to work (if Windows doesn't see the box as a media device, certainly Serviio won't). It does show up under the Network section though, so it is seeing the box, just not as a media device.

The WDTV Live Plus box does show up on my other Windows 7 devices just fine.

I have tried to scan for new devices, but it doesn't find anything. Others have the WDTV Live Plus working on Windows 8, so it's not a compatibility issue there.

Also, I just ran a program called UPnP Tester. On my Windows 7 PC, the WDTV shows us as a media renderer. On the Window 8 PC, it doesn't show up there at all. The program does see my router as UPNP device though. I do have network discovery enabled.

I also disabled the Windows 8 firewall and that didn't change anything.

Windows 8 PC and Windows 7 PCs are connected to the same router. Windows 8 PC via Ethernet cable, Windows 7 PCs via WLAN.

I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
disable the win8 firewall perhaps and test?

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit
said by LowInfoVoter:

disable the win8 firewall perhaps and test?

I've tried that and a million other things. I'm very frustrated at this point.

Also, on the Windows 7 PC, I have a section in device manager that says digital media devices, then inside that it says digital media device. Then in system devices, the WDTVLIVE shows up there. None of that appears in the Windows 8 device manager.

I have a DLNA TV coming tomorrow, so that'll give me another data point. I'd be very surprised if the TV doesn't behave just like the WDTV (shows up in Win 7, but not Win 8).

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
sorry, you did say that. don't know how i missed that. i probably got the idea subliminally from what you said!

here's a guess... boot one of the win7 workstations into safe mode w/ networking and see if they can see that device.. if they can, that would be a good way to test the win8 in a minimal statup state to see if it can discover the device.

obviously if the win7 can't see those devices in safe mode, it's not even worth checking with the 8.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
said by LowInfoVoter:

sorry, you did say that. don't know how i missed that. i probably got the idea subliminally from what you said!

here's a guess... boot one of the win7 workstations into safe mode w/ networking and see if they can see that device.. if they can, that would be a good way to test the win8 in a minimal statup state to see if it can discover the device.

obviously if the win7 can't see those devices in safe mode, it's not even worth checking with the 8.

Already tried on the Windows 8 PC in safe mode w/networking. Doesn't see the WDTV as a media device.

Windows 8 sees the WDTV as a network device, it's just not seeing it as a media device, like Windows 7.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit
reply to Lex Luthor
Well, I'm rather stunned right now, but the TV showed up on the Windows 8 PC, no problem.

I can stream Serviio to the TV. That's really want I wanted anyhow. I wasn't as concerned about streaming to the WDTV.

What's even better (and I guess the whole point of a DLNA server) is that if I plug my USB with an .mkv into the TV and play it, it says audio not supported. If I stream the same .mkv through Serviio, it transcodes the audio on the fly and it plays fine. Brilliant!

Strangely, the TV isn't showing up on my Windows 7 PC yet. Not that I need it to, but I'll probably still waste time trying to figure it out.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
reply to Lex Luthor
This is real strange now. None of my Windows 7 PC see the TV. If I enable DLNA on my phone, the TV doesn't see it. When I try to run the Viera remote app on my phone, it doesn't see the TV.

All of that works (including the WDTV remote app) on the WDTV box with the Windows 7 PCs.

The Windows 8 PC connects to the TV fine, but doesn't connect to the WDTV.

The key is that the DLNA device has to show up in the Devices section in devices and printers. Then it will work for media streaming. So on the Win 7 PCs, the WDTV shows up there. On the Win 8 PC, the TV shows up there.

What's going on here?!

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
reply to Lex Luthor
Don't give up on me yet. This is a challenge! I (we) are going to figure this out yet.

Made some progress tonight.

I disabled the WLAN on my Windows 7 laptop and connected it via Ethernet and it then communicates with the TV!

So, here's the network.

TV - Ethernet
WDTV - WLAN
Windows 8 PC - Ethernet
Windows 7 PC - WLAN
Samsung Galaxy S3 - WLAN

The WDTV can act as a media player for both the Windows 7 PC and Samsung Galaxy S3.

The TV can act as a media player for the Windows 8 PC.

If I connect the Windows 7 PC via Ethernet, then the TV sees it and the WDTV doesn't.

The TV can't act as a media player for the Samsung Galaxy S3 nor can they see each other to use the Galaxy S3 as a wireless remote.

Why can my wireless devices talk to each other and my wired devices talk to each other, but the wireless devices can't talk to the wired devices?!

Connecting a different router might be an option, but it'd be a big PITA since I have Fios and need the router in place for the coax connection. I supposed I could connect another router without internet access, but not sure how valid a test that would be or if any devices would act up without having internet access.

Any ideas?

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
reply to Lex Luthor
Success!!!

Once I figured out it was wired vs. wireless, I got this thread to come up in a google search

»businessforums.verizon.net/t5/Fi···p/461359

I disabled the IGMP proxy on my Fios router and it's all working now!