uniqs
share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

[Beginner] 27" iMac

I will be in the market for a new computer soon, and have contemplated making the switch to a Mac (27" iMac in particular). As a fairly amateur PC user for the past 20 years, my needs will be fairly basic, but I do enjoy some gaming. Usual home stuff (email, web browsing, excel spreadsheets, etc) as well as some medium gaming (I play fairly frequently, but don't need the sickest machine available). My current machine is about 5-6 years old (Q6600, 3 GB ram, 896MB GTX260 video card). I do enjoy decent gaming performance and would like to get something that will last me several years (why I am looking at Apple's higher end model).

I was looking at the new 27" iMac, and going with the i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1 TB Fusion drive and the GTX680MX 2GB video card. I know Apple charges more for their RAM, but don't want to have any issues with "other" RAM (I have read they are finicky that way).

Since I have been reasonably happy with what I have been using the last 5 or 6 years, is it also reasonable to expect I would be equally satisfied with this computer? Is the performance from a machine like this pretty good? Again, I'm not looking for the fastest machine on the Earth, but do hope that it is at least pretty good, considering the cost of it.

I have a few friends who have switched to Macs over the years and have been very happy, so I am considering doing the same.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Apple being finnicky with ram is for the most part a thing of the past, since the Intel Macs came out in 2006.

Since then I have probably upgraded close to 100 Intel Macs with various models of ram bought from my local PC shop. Not a single problem except in rare cases where the stick was DOA, which can happen to any brand and manufacturer.

Save yourself the money and invest in AppleCare warranty instead, and purchase the ram separately.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

good to know, as i was going to likely get AppleCare anyway...32GB of RAM is tempting, but i would imagine it might be costly. Apple charges $200 to upgrade to 16GB, so if I could get 32GB for the same price, that is likely worth it.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to dirtyjeffer

SquareTrade???

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
reply to dirtyjeffer

Get your memory from OWC (www.macsales.com) or Crucial ... Save the $$$.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dirtyjeffer

Take your chances with 3rd party RAM and just be sure to buy it from someone with a good return policy.

Personally I'd go fat with the HDD. I have the same machine but with the 3TB fusion and picked up the 32GB from OWC and no problems with the RAM. And if I do I always get great service from OWC.

I'd take the money you are investing in RAM and Applecare and put it in the 3TB fusion drive. You can get additional RAM and Applecare later on (AppleCare up to 1 year after purchase).

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to kerriskandie

said by kerriskandie:

SquareTrade???

i thought about that, but i'd rather just buy it from Apple, since i hear so much positive stuff from them and it's also $100 cheaper than squaretrade.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Take your chances with 3rd party RAM and just be sure to buy it from someone with a good return policy.

Personally I'd go fat with the HDD. I have the same machine but with the 3TB fusion and picked up the 32GB from OWC and no problems with the RAM. And if I do I always get great service from OWC.

I'd take the money you are investing in RAM and Applecare and put it in the 3TB fusion drive. You can get additional RAM and Applecare later on (AppleCare up to 1 year after purchase).

1 TB is plenty for me...my current comp has 2 x 320 GB drives, and i only have about 200 GB total on one drive (the other is empty).

it looks like 32GB of RAM at OWC is $220...is being in Canada a problem (not familiar with cross border shopping with them)?
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

NAFTA, no tariffs. You can put the stuff in a cart and see what they get for shipping but I just shipped 1LB for my business UPS ground and it was $12.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

looks like it ranges from $3 for First Class International Mail to $22 for FedEx.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

There may be a currency change charge from your bank when you use a CDN credit card.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

yea, but it's usually only a couple of percent...maybe $3 in total and considering our dollars are pretty much at par, it's a non-issue...lately, the variance in currency makes them pretty much equal (with the fees).

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

DJ, trust me, its cheaper to just buy the ram here... keep the original, if you ever have to warrantee it just swap the original back in... simple as that...

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=055785

4 of these, presto...
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

is value RAM a good idea?...i mean, i don't mind spending a bit more if there really is a difference...i don't know enough about RAM to know what that difference is...i just don't want any problems.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

"Value ram" means normal industry specs... Not for crazy overclocking...

Since you can't overclock a Mac, there's no reason to get fancy pants ram with heatsinks, LED's, fans and the like.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to dirtyjeffer

To add one anecdote.. I use the desktop Kingston ValueRAM in my VMWare server (16GB - 4x4GB sticks). It's been running for nearly 2 years 24x7. No problems.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to dirtyjeffer

The Mac that you will be buying will be plenty fast enough with the specs you're looking at. If you do need to change memory, Canada Computers has a good selection, relatively cheap. But 16GB of memory should be more than adequate for you...and for most people, even heavy users.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to dirtyjeffer

Didn't we just have this conversation? : »Spec'ing out an iMac for my brother
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Since you can't overclock a Mac, there's no reason to get fancy pants ram with heatsinks, LED's, fans and the like.

ah, that makes sense then...i guess the value RAM should be fine...so, if the computer comes stock with 2 x 4GB, i could just get another 2 x 4GB of value RAM? or would i be best to get 2 x 8 GB and remove the 2 x 4 GB that is in there (or is it 1 x 8 GB in there now)?
--

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

ordered the computer just over a week ago...i just left the RAM at 8GB...my buddy works there and said it can easily be upgraded later and that 8GB or RAM in a mac is likely more than enough for me now...i think the lead time was 3-4 weeks, so i am hoping the end of March, beginning of April i will get it...i've already added this board as my favs, just in case i have some questions (my first Apple computer).
--

- George Orwell

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Value ram usually has more latency as well then higher priced ram.