uniqs
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to Hall

to Hall

Re: Connector strengthening

Quite frankly you do not need to wrap the connector it's self. The breaks caused by flexing are usually right near the part where the molded anti-flex part is. Just a few layers of a stiff heat-shrink should make it last longer. But in reality it's always gong to break so you need to look into other ways of preventing the flexing. Like find a better location to put the iPod. I assume this plugs into a car stereo that controls the iPod. So there is no reason the iPod could not be placed in the glove compartment in such a way that the cord does not need to be bent sharply.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Finally got around to ordering that cable and then went over to Parts Express to see what I could do. A guy there thought the same as you, that the heat-shrink will help but won't stop the problem in the long run. He proposed a great idea though....

-- Buy an iPod extension cable

This way, the expensive ($30), proprietary cable remains tucked away under the dashboard and if the connector on the extension breaks, it's a $7 part to replace.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

They make docks for cars. Its basically just a 30 pin (or whatever the ipod connector is) passthrough connector built into a plastic dock. A friend has one that bolts to the dash and has a little back plate to support the iphone. He picked it up from a street vendor in NYC, so no idea on the make or model, but I'm sure they are out there.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

And how would I connect that to the head unit ?
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

-- Buy an iPod extension cable

This way, the expensive ($30), proprietary cable remains tucked away under the dashboard and if the connector on the extension breaks, it's a $7 part to replace.

That is a good idea.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Hall

MVM

to Hall
said by Hall:

And how would I connect that to the head unit ?

»www.mp3car.com/show-off- ··· g35.html
That is a really old article, but the concept is the same. The special cable that runs from the head unit to the iphone/ipod would plug into the back of the dock instead, then the iphone/ipod would sit in the dock. Its just a piece of plastic with a 90 degree adapter inside. female on one side, male on the other.