uniqs
share rss forum feed

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

[Business] Netgear firmware bug or does the SMC D3G do this?

So the other day when I was trying to cause my Netgear business class gateway device to reboot itself, I had checked the "Disable Ping on WAN Interface" option (thinking it was harmless and I could re-enable it after it rebooted). Well, that option doesn't cause a reboot, but that's not why I'm posting.

I figured this option would be smart and disable inbound ICMP (e.g. ICMP echo requests). But it appears to block all ICMP, or at the very least ICMP echo replies (outbound pings and mtr traces stopped working). I did not attempt to check others.

Does this option cause that behavior on the SMC D3G as well, or is this something weird that's particular to the Netgear.

If it's blindly dropping ALL ICMP, that's horribly bad and would break a lot of things (e.g. PMTU discovery, message passing like port unreachable, etc).
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

That doesn't happen on the D3G.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by Oedipus:

That doesn't happen on the D3G.

Thanks! Looks like a bug on the Netgear then.
--

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

If you're considering switching to the SMC, just know that it's not exactly much of an upgrade. Many of us are disappointed in its performance and limitations. Every modem router combo I've read about or used has had some quirk that isn't present when an individual modem and router is used. Personally I'm planning on picking up a Zoom 5341J and build a pfSense router.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by noc007:

If you're considering switching to the SMC, just know that it's not exactly much of an upgrade. Many of us are disappointed in its performance and limitations. Every modem router combo I've read about or used has had some quirk that isn't present when an individual modem and router is used. Personally I'm planning on picking up a Zoom 5341J and build a pfSense router.

This is a new Netgear device. It is D3 capable (8x4 channels) and is actually quite nice. Although they made the web interface look the same as the SMC D3G, it certainly isn't the same guts and obviously has a few minor bugs (which is to be expected, as I don't think it's even really being deployed much yet).
--