uniqs

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Dangerous remote Linksys 0-day root exploit discovered!

1:51PM »www.net-security.org/sec ··· id=14234

Uh oh. I have that old router too!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

3 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by antdude:

1:51PM »www.net-security.org/sec ··· id=14234

Uh oh. I have that old router too!

What is being demonstrated in their video is not a remote exploit. Launching an application targeting 192.168.1.1 is not going to access a remote router.

Perhaps they have more that they are not showing in the video, but accessing a router from its LAN interface is not necessarily the same as accessing it from its WAN interface (which would be a requirement to be called a remote exploit). If an intruder already has access to your LAN, it is not your network anymore (whether they get root access to your perimeter router or not).

BoToMaTiC
join:2003-10-29
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

BoToMaTiC to antdude

to antdude
Cisco/Linksys just released new firmware for the WRT54GL, don't know about other routers.

»homesupport.cisco.com/en ··· /WRT54GL

Firmware
01/10/2013

Firmware 4.30.16 (build 4)
- Resolves XSS issue.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by BoToMaTiC:

Cisco/Linksys just released new firmware for the WRT54GL, don't know about other routers.

Firmware
01/10/2013

- Resolves XSS issue.

I will try it over the weekend or so. You guys go first. :P

XSS - Cross site scripting?

BoToMaTiC
join:2003-10-29
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

BoToMaTiC

said by antdude:

said by BoToMaTiC:

Firmware
01/10/2013

- Resolves XSS issue.

I will try it over the weekend or so. You guys go first. :P

I have already upgraded, did 30-30-30 reset, redid my settings and everything seems fine.

That's what it looks like.
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly

Premium Member

Anyone know if this works properly on at WRT54G v4 ? (supposedly identical to WRT54GL v1)

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

1 edit

jbob to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Does anyone actually run the Linksys firmware on these routers? I think many here, at least they should, are running a third party firmware.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by jbob:

Does anyone actually run the Linksys firmware on these routers? I think many hear, at least they should, are running a third party firmware.

I do. The problem is its complex instructions and easy to brick. I don't want to try it until I have a spare wireless router to use in case something goes wrong.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

unknvoip to jbob

Premium Member

to jbob
said by jbob:

Does anyone actually run the Linksys firmware on these routers? I think many hear, at least they should, are running a third party firmware.

Based on the number of times I see wireless ssid's of LYNKSYS, yes many people are running that firmware. A fair number of them have the default password I am guessing. Most of those people don't read dslreports and don't know anything about 3rd party firmware.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 recommendation

Bill_MI to antdude

MVM

to antdude
Here's the source of all this:
»www.defensecode.com/arti ··· ploit-33

You can try to read between the lines all day with speculation. For example, XSS is the process of inserting code to run as trusted in web pages and the demo EXE may simply represent that code that could come from a webpage but run locally. But public demos giving away much detail wouldn't be in their best interest, too.

DefenseCode does say they tested WRT54GL 4.30.14 which is earlier than the 4.30.16 which is dated the same day as the DefenseCode announcement. Kinda strange.

Conclusion: No way to know. Just speculate. We have 2 days before they say they will disclose. At that time we'll learn much more.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to jbob

MVM

to jbob
said by jbob:

Does anyone actually run the Linksys firmware on these routers? I think many here, at least they should, are running a third party firmware.

Yes - I do - thought about using 3rd party but the Linksys firmware works perfectly fine for me.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

1 recommendation

Bill_MI

MVM

I'll do some speculation just to see how close I am...

Many of you may have noticed when you try to access your own public IP you get the router web page. Still true? My speculation is that this rule is made advantage of. It's not your LAN IP it's a public IP (that happens to be your own) so it'll get by a lot of security fixes against local addressing. Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) had exploits to access local LAN addresses but this Linksys quirk is sort of an invitation.

IF that's all it is... securing your password off default would be #1. But everyone here should already know THAT, anyway.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Bill_MI:

I'll do some speculation just to see how close I am...

Many of you may have noticed when you try to access your own public IP you get the router web page. Still true? My speculation is that this rule is made advantage of. It's not your LAN IP it's a public IP (that happens to be your own) so it'll get by a lot of security fixes against local addressing. Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) had exploits to access local LAN addresses but this Linksys quirk is sort of an invitation.

IF that's all it is... securing your password off default would be #1. But everyone here should already know THAT, anyway.

Of course, if the Linksys router(s) in question have a default backdoor password, that might not help. My Netgear WNR1000v2-VC (running stock Netgear firmware) has such a hidden "root" password, and I take advantage of it when I occasionally need to look at something that the html admin pages don't show me by running a Netgear utility called "TelnetEnable". That utility does exactly what the POC seems to be doing, it opens up a Linux command line interface (with "root" privileges) to the router (and the "admin" password I have setup is irrelevant to this process).

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

said by NetFixer:

Of course, if the Linksys router(s) in question have a default backdoor password, that might not help.

Absolutely!

I know it's a Linux environment but do I recall logging in can use a (BLANK) or any username? Or do you have to sign in with user "root"? I vaguely recall, like other Linksys routers, they may have hacked in that compatibility. It's just that kind of change that can open a vulnerability if it's done wrong.

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

1 recommendation

planet to antdude

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by jbob:

I do. The problem is its complex instructions and easy to brick. I don't want to try it until I have a spare wireless router to use in case something goes wrong.

What antdude said:
»Linksys E1000: Is it bricked?

My E1000 is now a paperweight.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

said by planet:

said by antdude:

said by jbob:

What antdude said:
»Linksys E1000: Is it bricked?

My E1000 is now a paperweight.

To be clear my comment about not using the Linksys firmware was for the router in question. The 54GL.

I'm not sure what is so hard about flashing the GL series router. It is so user friendly. Flashing this thing couldn't get any easier. Just pick DD-WRT or Tomato and flash away. There are so many more options available via these two third party firmwares that it makes not using them foolish. lol But I also understand if one doesn't really want to. If the stock firmware works what more can you ask for! Oh another exploit!

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

DefenseCode finally released their findings. It's related to the uPnP abomination (see »Security Flaws in Universal Plug-n-Play: Unplug, Don't Play) but specific to Broadcom devices.

»blog.defensecode.com/201 ··· ode.html