Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

My first EARTHQUAKE!

Click for full size
I was sitting at home at about 1:20 this afternoon, when I heard a loud bang and my house shook. I initially thought my roof had giving out and was crashing in. A few seconds later there was another rumble. It's been quiet since. My Facebook started with other people feeling it, and about an hour later it was confirmed there was an earthquake... centered here in Boothbay!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5

Wow! I guess that shook up your day!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2UkFvKllLw

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to Dominokat

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQEbQJx5Bo

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Dominokat

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWgxjc7kv3Q

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
reply to Dominokat

They can be unsettling, especially when not used to them. Glad it was relatively small and all's well.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

said by Dominokat:

I was sitting at home at about 1:20 this afternoon, when I heard a loud bang and my house shook. I initially thought my roof had giving out and was crashing in. A few seconds later there was another rumble. It's been quiet since. My Facebook started with other people feeling it, and about an hour later it was confirmed there was an earthquake... centered here in Boothbay!

tell your friends, people on the west coast are laughing at you.
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown
reply to onDvine

said by onDvine:

They can be unsettling, especially when not used to them. Glad it was relatively small and all's well.

Ditto that.

I'd much rather sleep through a 2.4 than contemplate a hurricane, tornado, or Nor'easter.
--
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

said by TwoFrogs:

... I'd much rather sleep through a 2.4 than contemplate a hurricane, tornado, or Nor'easter.

Absolutely!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Yea, this was very small in nature but it was loud and shook. I would not want to try a 5 or more.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

said by Dominokat:

I would not want to try a 5 or more.

I believe you: A magnitude 5 earthquake would be 400 times as strong as this magnitude 2.4 earthquake was (not merely twice as strong as the numbers seem to indicate).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

See?! I obviously have no clue about earthquakes! No wonder it freaked me out a little.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to leibold

said by leibold:

... A magnitude 5 earthquake would be 400 times as strong as this magnitude 2.4 earthquake was ...

The bigger quakes really are scary. '71 in Sylmar and '94 in Northridge come to mind. Both were some distance away but sure did shake things up in W. Los Angeles. So much depends on how close to the epicenter one is. I'll bet a 2.4 felt/sounded major when directly above.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

I was in Hollywood CA (Paramount Studios) when the Oakland quake hit in '89. I didn't feel it, but camera men where able to view feeds sent from the control room, on their camera view screen and told us about it.

People in the area at the top of high rise buildings said they felt it since the builds swayed some.

My relives here in Maine all were calling to make sure I was okay, not knowing the earthquake did little to nothing in LA/Hollywood.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I was a little closer tan that to it- up near Sacramento. I'd been in SF (and on the bay bridge) the day before. Definitely felt it where I was, though. And of course there was the quake in 2011 that was felt throughout the northeast.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

said by Dominokat:

... People in the area at the top of high rise buildings said they felt it since the builds swayed some. ...

Areas that tend to get earthquakes have construction standards requiring some flexibility. When buildings can't sway, they break.

If you'd felt the Oakland quake in Hollywood, California would've been separating from the continent for sure.

Jammy
ja'Krinda
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Dominokat

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rny9ymeCTZY

I grew up with at least monthly earthquakes. If you live in California from San Diego up to Ventura County it is something one gets used to. I had rather have earthquakes than floods, heavy snow or hurricanes/tornados.

Jammy

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

"I feel the Earth move, under my feet"

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHuxpa4h48

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX
reply to Dominokat

Could it be that ancient lobster out there in Booth Bay?
--
I know when to fold 'em *ALL THE TIME!*

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Er, I meant "Boothbay."

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to lonnyb

said by lonnyb:

Could it be that ancient lobster out there in Booth Bay?

Would that be this one ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to Dominokat

I recall, back in Silicon Valley, I was working in the optics lab one afternoon when a fairly large one hit, my first "large" one. I headed for the door, fast, and my coworkers saw my reaction and busted my chops for weeks after that. It was like BAM BA-Bam -Ba-Bam Bam, Sway Sway-Sway Sway Sway-Sway. It felt like someone was giving me a foot first pile driver or something, it kinda hurts. What was so bad is the work we did was incredibly delicate. A single lens element could cost in the 10's of thousands each, and it was very soft glass, it was more delicate than working on a Swiss watch (actually, much more delicate), so earthquakes that happen at the wrong time mean a lot of money lost unless you had lightning reflexes.

I have the tremors now, so I can no longer do that work, and boy do I miss it. But I DON'T miss the earthquakes.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.