"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

EARTHQUAKE!

Click for full size
I heard a loud bang, and my house shook. I thought my roof was caving in. There was a smaller aftershock a few second later.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah

Relax Citizen! The Californians will be here shortly to tell you it was nothing.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

There ain't no way Californians will visit Maine
»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· -EjrtD3U

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to Dominokat

Mod

to Dominokat
I would visit Maine.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Yea, it was small. But since this was my first one I ever heard and felt, it was a unique experience for me.
I wouldn't want to go through larger ones like folks in California and other areas go through regularly.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

You kinda get use to them after a while.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat

Citizen! Told ya so!

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Sorry, my California kid landed this morning

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
said by sashwa:

I would visit Maine.

But you're not a real Californian. You've been transplanted from the Nutmeg state.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

said by vaxvms:

said by sashwa:

I would visit Maine.

But you're not a real Californian. You've been transplanted from the Nutmeg state.

So she's a Californian minus one generation.

How many generations does it take to be a Wochestian?

(14th generation Cape Codder)

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

To be a Worcesterite you must have lived your entire life in the city. To be a true Worcesterite you and at least 3 generations must have lived in the same 3 deckah.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

said by vaxvms:

To be a Worcesterite you must have lived your entire life in the city. To be a true Worcesterite you and at least 3 generations must have lived in the same 3 deckah.

Or give directions using Dunkin' Donuts.

Wonder what our Resident Mainiacs have to say about local/from away.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Are You A Native Mainer?

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

You are a 36%% native Mainer!

Why is "Down East Main" a term?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

Dominokat

Premium Member

Down East, The Magazine of Maine explains the origin of the term in New England: "When ships sailed from Boston to ports in Maine (which were to the east of Boston), the wind was at their backs, so they were sailing downwind, hence the term 'Down East.' And it follows that when they returned to Boston they were sailing upwind; many Mainers still speak of going 'up to Boston,' despite the fact that the city lies approximately 50 miles to the south of Maine’s southern border."

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

Bingo!
Before the Cape Cod Canal, villages on Cape Cod Bay, such as mine, had a good trade with Maine. It was a good sail that was down wind. "Beat back to the Cape" was getting home.
Years ago, I lived on a "Yacht Version" of a "Coastal Packet". We blew past Boston and New Hampshire, skipped Maine. Went to Nova Scotia in 2 days. Took 5 days to get home. OK, 7 days, but we stopped in Provincetown because we ran out of cigarettes and beer.
A very long day to get around the Cape to Hyannis.

There you go. Down East Maine.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Oh you snotty New Englanders simply must get out more. Everyone else knows you're a Californian from the minute the state issues your driver's license. However, to get laid in California one must first undo a few Puritanisms:
a) be willing to be laid without shame & subterfuge
b) in blind taste test be able to discern an artichoke from a pomegranate
c) possess observable levels of vitamin D

Admittedly tough for most New Englanders but I have faith. Daily tremblers do tend to loosen one up.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
461.4 6.9

sashwa to vaxvms

Mod

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

said by sashwa:

I would visit Maine.

Except I have lived here longer than I lived in CT. :tongue:

We use to go to Maine quiet often when I was growing up.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

1 recommendation

Dominokat

Premium Member

I was born in Boothbay (delivered by my own grandfather) , but moved to Bristol Connecticut when I was not even one year old. Then summered in Maine, and moved back to Maine when I was 11. I haven't left since. Except for vacations, and spending a year living in California and another in Ireland.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah to jap

to jap
said by jap:

Oh you snotty New Englanders simply must get out more. Everyone else knows you're a Californian from the minute the state issues your driver's license. However, to get laid in California one must first undo a few Puritanisms: Myth. We just keep quiet. My "Pilgrim" was a beer drinker that got in trouble for bowling on Sunday. Only thing that goes public is Amateur Hour @ the Kennedys
a) be willing to be laid without shame & subterfuge insert Rhode Island joke
b) in blind taste test be able to discern an artichoke from a pomegranate quahog/steamer
c) possess observable levels of vitamin D Huh, Suntanned from Figawi to Get the Hell off the Cape weekend

Admittedly tough for most New Englanders but I have faith. Daily tremblers do tend to loosen one up. We smile and nod to one another. When you leave the room we laugh and say: "Got that Left-Coastah confused!", drink the good beer and make maple syrup.

We have a secret handshake, but I've said too much already.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Dominokat

MVM

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

I heard a loud bang, and my house shook. I thought my roof was caving in. There was a smaller aftershock a few second later.

A few years ago, thinking 82 or so, there was a RI earthquake that interrupted a late night tippler. It felt like and sounded like someone had taken a huge hammer and hit a large boulder in the basement. Except the building was on a slab.

No aftershock, but it was my one and only "holy crap."

California was quiet the times I visited.
Expand your moderator at work