spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rebellious

join:2008-05-28

[Other] Which MAC address for QOS ??

I want to set up my PhonePower Grandstream HT502 for QOS (device priority) in my Linksys router.

The MAC address that the router sees in the DHCP clients list is xxxxx:D7 but the MAC address on the HT502 label is xxxxx:D6, (different by one digit). Which is the correct MAC to specify in router for QOS?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

If the ROUTER believes the address to be [xxxxx:D7] and if all your other devices are accounted for, then go with what the router believes.

After all, it's the ROUTER that is doing the QoS.

Act on what the router believes.

---------------------------------------------

Joe: Boy, I have problems! My wife dreams at night that she's a rich woman with money to burn!

Moe: My problems are worse. My wife believes that in the daytime!

Rebellious

I thought so too, if the router doesn't see it, it won't work. The 2 MACs are one for the LAN and one for the WAN , not sure which is the right one though.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Ah, if an ATA also has router functions it could have more than one MAC, just as a dedicated router can have more than one MAC.

But again, it would seem logical to go with the verdict of the Linksys router as to which MAC applies to the HT-502 ATA's current configuration.

Rebellious

The HT502 has 2 jacks in the back, one is used for the phone service, the other for config(?). Not sure which on is LAN/WAN... BUT the MAC # on label (and the box) of thr HT502 is different than what the router sees by one digit.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

said by Rebellious:

The HT502 has 2 jacks in the back, one is used for the phone service, the other for config(?). Not sure which on is LAN/WAN... BUT the MAC # on label (and the box) of thr HT502 is different than what the router sees by one digit.

This is correct, each jack will have its own MAC address. One for the inside network, one for the outside network.

You want to use the MAC for the outside network, which is the one your router is showing you.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

Rebellious

Thank you. So it looks like the HT502 has the wrong MAC address on its label.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

It's the right address for it's purposes (provisioning & your local network), just the wrong address for upstream QoS.