share rss forum feed

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

I use my mobile hotspot

I use my VZW mobile hotspot when using my laptop on the train or on the go. There is no way my gadgets are going to touch a public hotspot as I value the money in my bank accounts (as public Wi-Fi has serious security issues).

XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast
Don't you use a VPN in those cases (public hotspots)?

It's what I do (except for when I'm banking, where I don't do that through any network except my own at home on one of my own computers).

For normal non-sensitive data, a VPN over public access works just fine (some websites that don't deal in banking or money in general have secure versions, too).

For normal sensitive data (non-banking), you're right that you wouldn't use a public hotspot, but I think a VPN-ed connection would work just fine for securing data traffic.

I for one don't trust my cellular broadband provider with any non-VPN-ed data. I use my VPN (from university) any time I'm not at home (which is secured by my own paid service).

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

There is no way my gadgets are going to touch a public hotspot as I value the money in my bank accounts (as public Wi-Fi has serious security issues).

That's what SSL is for.

If you don't trust encryption then I sure as hell hope you aren't using a cable connection at home, because your downstream traffic is going into your neighbors house by virtue of the way DOCSIS works.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
He uses Comcast And by the way the Internet is designed, anyone anywhere can obtain your information. Regardless if its "shared" on cable or on "dedicated" DSL.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

said by TBBroadband:

And by the way the Internet is designed, anyone anywhere can obtain your information. Regardless if its "shared" on cable or on "dedicated" DSL.

For sure, unencrypted information is vulnerable regardless of the connection you use. So you either trust encryption or you conduct all of your banking in person at the teller line, and all of your shopping in person with cash.

I only made the analogy with DOCSIS because it does operate like wi-fi, at least with regards to the downstream. Unless the provider uses BPI (Time Warner doesn't around these parts) every unencrypted packet is potentially exposed to hundreds of people, just like a public wi-fi network.