spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LeoBloom6
join:2010-05-18

LeoBloom6

[Optimum Voice] Is there a way to block phone numbers by wildcar

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of spam type calls from many many numbers but they all share the first 8 digits e.g. 718-303-33xx.

I was wondering if it were possible to block all 100 numbers associated with these first 8 numbers - because optimum voice allows blocking 32 numbers but the other 68 numbers are still actively calling.

Thank you
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Re: [Optimum Voice] Is there a way to block phone numbers by wil

You can't do it from the website, and I don't think that tech support can do it either. I'd either cycle through blocked numbers, or find out who they are to try to stop it that way.
root
join:2002-12-11

root to LeoBloom6

to LeoBloom6
said by LeoBloom6:

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of spam type calls from many many numbers but they all share the first 8 digits e.g. 718-303-33xx.

I was wondering if it were possible to block all 100 numbers associated with these first 8 numbers - because optimum voice allows blocking 32 numbers but the other 68 numbers are still actively calling.

Thank you

It is not possible via portal or via tech support to block a whole block or set of numbers.

You can either address this with the offending party directly, change your number or report the harassing calls by dialing *57 after you get these calls.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to LeoBloom6

to LeoBloom6
It would be nice to use wild cards to block (i.e. 718-303-****)
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to LeoBloom6

to LeoBloom6
OV needs a white list option!
Let me decide which numbers to ring through, rest go to voice.
I bet there are less the ten people that still call my landline.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to LeoBloom6

to LeoBloom6
And they only allow you to list 30 numbers to block. Yes, I agree that if you could list all numbers with same several number would make it more feasible to block these idiots. I am sick of scrolling through our call list to find that the majority of them are spam. I sometimes consider why I am underwriting the spammers, cause we certainly don't get that many real calls. I've considered getting rid of the house phone, but then my cell would be getting those calls, and that would cost even more. Occasionally, I file complaints at donotcall, but it's a losing battle. Seems like that protection has more holes in it than not.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to LeoBloom6

Premium Member

to LeoBloom6
said by LeoBloom6:

Do you happen to live in Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Coney Island areas of Brooklyn or somewhere nearby?

I believe 718-303-xxxx belong to a company called Davidzon Media. They were calling me non-stop on two occasions with political campaign calls. First around Fall 2011 they were campaigning for Bob Turner who was running for a seat of the infamous Anthony Weiner after he resigned. Then again around Spring of last year (2012) campaigning for David Storobin, who was running for the disgraced Carl Cruger's seat for NYS Senate.

If you are also getting political campaign calls, not sure if reporting them for harassment will do anything. The bastard are exempt from DNC registry.
Pirate515

Pirate515 to momcat1

Premium Member

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

Occasionally, I file complaints at Do Not Call, but it's a losing battle. Seems like that protection has more holes in it than not.

IMO, a complaint only stands a chance if you can clearly identify phone number(s) and/or company/person who's calling you. Even then, complaints will probably have to come in by the boatloads for FTC to even consider doing something. If they only get one or two complaints, they probably get tossed to the bottom of the pile and never get looked at again.

On top of that, with widespread availability of VoIP it's getting easier and easier for these scum to hide and get away with their BS. Even if you were able to trace the call, there's a good chance that the caller is not in the US, good luck stopping them then.

The most recent thing that annoyed me were calls offering to "reduce my interest rates". It was the same recording, but I noticed that every time the calls came from different numbers. They were probably spoofing CID, so reporting them to DNC most likely was a lost cause. Surprisingly, last time they called me I pressed 1 to "take them up on their offer", and when I got a live person I asked them for their company name, address and phone number(s). Although she abruptly hung up on me, I never heard from them again.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to LeoBloom6

Premium Member

to LeoBloom6
Blacklisting is a losing battle. As someone above noticed, caller ID is always different. The only thing that will help is whitelisting (and anybody not on the white list goes to voicemail).

I don't use OV - I have account with Anveo. With them I can setup whitelist plus an IVR option "Press 1 to connect your call" for everyone else. I just don't bother with black list anymore.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

^^^
that's what I said cv should provide the other day

I would gladly pay 4.95 a month for that ability

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to Pirate515

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515 See Profile
The most recent thing that annoyed me were calls offering to "reduce my interest rates". It was the same recording, but I noticed that every time the calls came from different numbers. They were probably spoofing CID, so reporting them to DNC most likely was a lost cause. Surprisingly, last time they called me I pressed 1 to "take them up on their offer", and when I got a live person I asked them for their company name, address and phone number(s). Although she abruptly hung up on me, I never heard from them again.
[/BQUOTE :

That tactic has had no effect on our junk calls.

momcat1

momcat1 to dm145

to dm145
said by dm145:

^^^

I don't think I should have to pay extra. I did nothing to invite the spam in the first place. I'm an innocent victim, being victimized.

Phoneman63
join:2001-02-22
Hauppauge, NY

Phoneman63 to Pirate515

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:

said by LeoBloom6:

Do you happen to live in Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Coney Island areas of Brooklyn or somewhere nearby?

I believe 718-303-xxxx belong to a company called Davidzon Media. They were calling me non-stop on two occasions with political campaign calls. First around Fall 2011 they were campaigning for Bob Turner who was running for a seat of the infamous Anthony Weiner after he resigned. Then again around Spring of last year (2012) campaigning for David Storobin, who was running for the disgraced Carl Cruger's seat for NYS Senate.

If you are also getting political campaign calls, not sure if reporting them for harassment will do anything. The bastard are exempt from DNC registry.

This range 718-303-33xx shows up mostly being owned by Peerless Network landline from New York, NY.
Others show:
Xchange Telecom Corp. landline from New York, NY
Paetec Communications landline from New York, NY

Pirate515
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to momcat1

Premium Member

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

That tactic has had no effect on our junk calls.

I did not say that it will help in all the cases. Maybe I just encountered "smart" telemarketers who realized that the person on the other end of the line knows that they are a bunch of scam artists and figured that continuing to call that number would be a waste of time.
Pirate515

Pirate515 to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

I don't use OV - I have account with Anveo. With them I can setup whitelist plus an IVR option "Press 1 to connect your call" for everyone else. I just don't bother with black list anymore.

Neat idea. While it won't get rid of live telemarketers, it sure as hell eliminates most if not all robocalls. Another good thing would be to randomize the digit that one has to press every time in case some of them figure that one out.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by Pirate515:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Neat idea. While it won't get rid of live telemarketers, it sure as hell eliminates most if not all robocalls. Another good thing would be to randomize the digit that one has to press every time in case some of them figure that one out.

There are no live telemarketers. They all use robodialers that can detect answering machine and hang up, and this is exactly what happens with my setup.
LeoBloom6
join:2010-05-18

LeoBloom6

I think I may mislead you guys with the phone number example - I just made that up.

The real phone number (off the top of my head) was 347-502-25xx and I actually picked up on them now. Turns out to be one of those companies that work alongside Con Ed and try to sign you up for something I still haven't bothered to understand. I spoke to some lady and requested my number to be taken off. I hope it works.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69 to momcat1

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

said by dm145:

I don't think I should have to pay extra. I did nothing to invite the spam in the first place. I'm an innocent victim, being victimized.

Then it sounds like telemarketers don't bother you all that much.

I'd pay for it. There's nothing you can do to stop telemarketers from calling you. But if a few dollars a month motivates my service provider to implement a truly value added service that improves the quality of my life, I'm willing to pay for it. I don't expect it for free. Chances are if it was free, then it would not be very good.

The problem (and reality) is that if the service becomes widespread and effective, the telemarketers will find a way to defeat it, and we're back to square one.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to LeoBloom6

Premium Member

to LeoBloom6
an answering machine that picks up on the first ring and plays a "disconnected" message (taken from youtube) with 10 seconds of blank after it to avoid the machine "beep" gets rid of them, works for me so well that family/friends sometimes forget its an answering machine, lol.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to LeoBloom6

Premium Member

to LeoBloom6
said by LeoBloom6:

I think I may mislead you guys with the phone number example - I just made that up.

The real phone number (off the top of my head) was 347-502-25xx and I actually picked up on them now. Turns out to be one of those companies that work alongside Con Ed and try to sign you up for something I still haven't bothered to understand. I spoke to some lady and requested my number to be taken off. I hope it works.

This is a relatively new aggressive campaign to get people to switch to alternative electricity provider. They also employ pyramid schema to get people to work for them (my ex-coworker participated in it).

Asking to take your number off will not work. Since January 1 2013 I received 13 calls from 8 different numbers matching the template you mentioned. They are all listed on »800notes.com - website where people report such calls. My approach blocked all of them (that is my phone never rang and I received no voicemails) but I still see all these calls in call log with most of them being in 4-10 seconds range when IVR picks up and robodialer hangs up.

bcronin
Premium Member
join:2004-03-27
Hyde Park, NY

bcronin to LeoBloom6

Premium Member

to LeoBloom6
For what its worth, ViaTalk has robust blocking capabilities and is cheaper than Optimum Voice. I've been using it for 5+ years over my OOL connection and it has met my (admittedly modest) needs.
bcronin

bcronin

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is a sample of the sorts of blocking VT offers. The available route options are:

FORWARD - forward to another number
VOICEMAIL - send direct to voicemail
BUSY - present caller with a busy signal
STOPCALLING - a canned recording that tells caller to stop calling
BLACKLISTED - a canned recording that tellscaller they're blacklisted
BLOCKED - a canned recording that tells the caller they're blocked
SIMULRING - lets the call through and rings another number simultaneously
DISCONNECTED - presents called with the "number disconnected" tone
RECORD - lets the call through and causes it to be recorded
AUTHENTICATE - requires the caller to enter some digits before call will be let through (to defeat some autodialers perhaps)
LONGRING - presents caller with an endless ring signal

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

Nice feature set. Would love to see that sort of control come to OV (even if it cost a buck or two extra). Something tells me that it never will -- Cablevision would probably not want to provide tech support for all of that.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by limegrass69:

Nice feature set. Would love to see that sort of control come to OV (even if it cost a buck or two extra). Something tells me that it never will -- Cablevision would probably not want to provide tech support for all of that.

perhaps they could have this feature set available for the more technically inclined ?

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

Asking to take your number off will not work. Since January 1 2013 I received 13 calls from 8 different numbers matching the template you mentioned. They are all listed on »800notes.com - website where people report such calls. My approach blocked all of them (that is my phone never rang and I received no voicemails) but I still see all these calls in call log with most of them being in 4-10 seconds range when IVR picks up and robodialer hangs up.

Asking to have your number taken off the list called will never work. Because of the way the laws are worded, you have to instead ask to have your number put on the do not call list.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

nothing will stop the criminals from calling
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to momcat1

Premium Member

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Asking to have your number taken off the list called will never work. Because of the way the laws are worded, you have to instead ask to have your number put on the do not call list.

That will not work either. I am on federal DNC list.

Pirate515
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to dm145

Premium Member

to dm145
said by dm145:

Nothing will stop the criminals from calling

Sad, but true. The put me on your "do not call" list was the correct wording before the National DNC. The fact that only a handful of companies followed this rule and some did not even bother to maintain their own DNC list actually led to creation of the national one. But then again, the low-life scam artists have no respect for the law whatever shape or form it comes in, and the fact that many can use overseas VoIP on the cheap and easily spoof CID makes it way much easier for them to break it.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69 to LeoBloom6

to LeoBloom6
Hey, you could always blow a whistle into the phone.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Pirate515

to Pirate515
it still amazes me how these guys can actually make money?
are there really enough people that fall for these scams?
anyone that volunteers the credit card info over phone seems crazy to me!