Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

2 recommendations

chachazz to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK

Re: Microsoft out-of-band security bulletin for January 2013

Thanks Nick.

Internet Explorer 9 and 10 are not vulnerable to this exploit.

"If you applied the Fix it released in Security Advisory 2794220, you won’t need to uninstall it before applying the security update": »blogs.technet.com/b/msrc ··· ted=true

"However, the Fix it is no longer needed after the security update is installed, so we are recommending that you uninstall it after you have applied the update to your system"..»blogs.technet.com/b/msrc ··· ted=true

It won't hurt to leave it be, if so inclined.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

However, the Fix it is no longer needed after the security update is installed, so we are recommending that you uninstall it after you have applied the update to your system.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Curious as to how one does this? I looked under add/remove programs (and updates) and didn't see the FixIt. The FixIt itself seems to have been removed from Microsoft's site.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

This is curious. Will have to ask around to see if others are seeing the same as you.
Perhaps the FixIt does not appear when enabled under Add | Remove Programs. More as I know more.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

Smokey Bear to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:
"However, the Fix it is no longer needed after the security update is installed, so we are recommending that you uninstall it after you have applied the update to your system"..»blogs.technet.com/b/msrc ··· ted=true

Thanks chachazz See Profile, it will indeed not hurt to leave the Fix-it, because MS explained in FAQ Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-008 - Critical - Security Update for Internet Explorer (2799329):
quote:
If I applied the automated Microsoft Fix it solution for Internet Explorer in Microsoft Security Advisory 2794220, do I need to undo the workaround before applying this update?

Customers who implemented the Microsoft Fix it solution, "MSHTML Shim Workaround," in Microsoft Security Advisory 2794220, do not need to undo the Microsoft Fix it solution.
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ms13-008
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

1 recommendation

redwolfe_98 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

The FixIt itself seems to have been removed from Microsoft's site

if you look at the MS webpage for the IE-update, then go to "security update deployment", then "file information", the webpage that that takes you to has the "fixit's", along with the "file information" for the update..

microsoft always has one file for installing a "fixit" and one file for uninstalling the "fixit".. i don't think you would see an uninstall for a "fixit" in windows "add/remove"..

incidentally, i thought it was odd that the "file information" for the IE-update was tacked onto the webpages for the "fixit's"..

here is a link for the webpage for the IE-update:

here is the webpage with the "fixit's" and the file-information for the IE-update:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2799329

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Thanks. Got the "Disable" FixIt (MicrosoftFixit50972.msi).

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

Thanks. Got the "Disable" FixIt (MicrosoftFixit50972.msi).

You're welcome

Corrine
Premium Member
join:2004-08-27

Corrine to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
The rest of the FAQ in »technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ms13-008 includes:
However, since the workaround is no longer needed, customers may wish to undo the workaround after installing this update. See the vulnerability workarounds in this bulletin for more information on how to undo this workaround.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
said by Smokey Bear:

said by chachazz:

Thanks chachazz See Profile, it will indeed not hurt to leave the Fix-it, because MS explained in FAQ Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-008 - Critical - Security Update for Internet Explorer (2799329):
quote:
If I applied the automated Microsoft Fix it solution for Internet Explorer in Microsoft Security Advisory 2794220, do I need to undo the workaround before applying this update?

Customers who implemented the Microsoft Fix it solution, "MSHTML Shim Workaround," in Microsoft Security Advisory 2794220, do not need to undo the Microsoft Fix it solution.

Great, thanks for clarifying, Smokey Bear See Profile.

That's what users really need to know.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by chachazz :

Great, thanks for clarifying, Smokey Bear See Profile.

That's what users really need to know.

I have to thank YOU for posting the correct info concerning the fix-it, I (better say MS) only confirmed

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Per the Webcast Information About the January Out of Band Security Bulletin Release
quote:
Remove MS FixIt 50971 post patching. It will slow down the launching of IE/browsing.
Noteworthy comments here: »Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for 14th!
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

1 recommendation

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you for alerting us to the out-of-bands security update.

I was finding the directions regarding the removal of the fixit prior to the security update curious. I recall the fixit advisory said to remove the fixit prior to patching since it will slow down IE. That's what I did. Whenever I apply a fixit I always download the removal fixit to have in safe keeping.

Two computers required no reboot, one did.

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

You're most welcome, Libra See Profile Happy to have been able to contribute in a positive way to this thread.