andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Shaw sells Mountain Cablevision to Rogers

Among other things.

"CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - Jan. 14, 2013) - Shaw Communications Inc. (TSX:SJR.B)(NYSE:SJR) ("Shaw" or "the Company") announced today that it has entered into agreements with Rogers Communications Inc. ("Rogers") to sell to Rogers its shares in its Hamilton-based cable operations, Mountain Cablevision Limited ("Mountain Cable"), grant to Rogers an option to acquire Shaw's spectrum licenses for advanced wireless service in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northern Ontario (the "Spectrum Licenses") and to purchase from Rogers its 33.3% partnership interest in the TVtropolis General Partnership ("TVtropolis")."

»www.marketwire.com/press ··· 5530.htm

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Holy shit, well its just a matter of time before Cogeco is up for grabs.

Rogers should not be allowed to aquire Shaws spectrum(they're not going to launch cell service) , it should go back in the pot.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Welcome to North America. The Government doesn't care as long as it eventually gets used in some way.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
-
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to andyb

to andyb
I can understand why Shaw would want AWS space, but why a slice of tv tropolis? It's a terrible channel.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by cog_biz_user:

I can understand why Shaw would want AWS space, but why a slice of tv tropolis? It's a terrible channel.

Irrelevant. It is guaranteed revenue, as it is paid for by cable subscribers on a per user basis.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by DKS:

said by cog_biz_user:

Irrelevant. It is guaranteed revenue, as it is paid for by cable subscribers on a per user basis.

....in a bundle.
The minute people can purchase channels a la carte, Shaw will have to writedown the value of TV Tropolis to effectively zero.

Shaw probably would have been smarter to sell the AWS spectrum to Wind, and then sell the cable assets separately to Rogers or Cogeco.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by DKS:

said by cog_biz_user:

....in a bundle.
The minute people can purchase channels a la carte, Shaw will have to writedown the value of TV Tropolis to effectively zero.

Shaw probably would have been smarter to sell the AWS spectrum to Wind, and then sell the cable assets separately to Rogers or Cogeco.

Rogers probably would have made it a deal breaker, just to keep it out of Wind's hands.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
I can almost guarantee if the Shaw family wanted out entirely, they would make an offer first to Rogers for all of their assets. Shaw and Rogers are competitors in some cases but they're also buddies.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

I can almost guarantee if the Shaw family wanted out entirely, they would make an offer first to Rogers for all of their assets. Shaw and Rogers are competitors in some cases but they're also buddies.

Like the little deal to swap Scarborough with Rogers assets out west.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
Poor, poor bastards on the mountain.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
Be interesting to see if the CRTC and the Competition bureau rubber stamp this.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

For competition purposes I don't think it's that big of a deal. The far bigger story is that Rogers finally ended up with something they desperately wanted for a very long time.

I have to wonder just what Shaw got in return for this, because the whole Mountain Cable situation was a very sour point in their otherwise cozy relationship.

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

On the cable thing probably not as its a small footprint but on the AWS...Rogers already owns 23% of all the AWS spectrum and I dont believe they even use it.Combined Rogers,Bell and Telus have 55%.Shaw owns 7% and still I dont think any of that 62% is actually used

Percentages are available here
»www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sm ··· tml#s4.1
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

For competition purposes I don't think it's that big of a deal. The far bigger story is that Rogers finally ended up with something they desperately wanted for a very long time.

From a competitive standpoint, the acquisition of Shaw's hamilton assets doesn't make the landscape there any more or less competitive. Whether the deal goes through or not, there will be three providers in the Hamilton region, and each provider has their own geographical monopoly anyways.

The real competition issue comes from the spectrum. AWS spectrum was set aside specifically for new entrants who need the spectrum more desperately than Rogers/Bell/Telus.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah I could see AWS being an issue. Then again, Bell and Rogers already own a near 50/50 split of BRS spectrum across the entire country.

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Is that not unused now also?If so like over 30% or more of unused spectrum among the big 3
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

Wait, hold up. Wasn't one of the rules in the 2009ish spectrum auction that Robellus wasn't supposed allowed to buy spectrum because they wouldn't use it?

... Whatever.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
No, Bell and Rogers both have BWS deployments. Rogers is even selling phones now that use BWS rather than AWS for LTE.

BWS - 2500-2690MHz - is what the Europeans will be using for LTE, in case anyone cares. I believe we're the only country that's going to be using both 700MHz and BWS for LTE. The Americans aren't doing BWS and the Europeans aren't doing 700MHz.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
HA, the rumors of Cogeco's sale have come up again with this sale.
I can read it on my tablet using the app (they haven't figured how to lock that down yet). If anyone has a "Globe Unlimited" account please post the story here.

If the past Louis Audet has said no, but recently his father passed away and no doubt the shares will get divided amongst the wife and kids.

Apparently the dividends the company pays out on the Audet holdings is only $2m/yr while Louis is bringing in $3m as CEO. With Mountain cable sold to Rogers, Rogers now controls the territory on 3 sides of Cogeco.

Just like the Waters family said they wouldn't sell Chum upon the passing of their father, I'm sure it's a matter of time before Cogeco is up for grabs.

yuuuuup
@204.93.60.x

yuuuuup

Anon

Cogeco also now has;

A transit company (PEER1), A foot in the US market (Atlantic Broadband) and a Fiber Company in the downtown Toronto core (Cogeco Data Services)

Pretty sure they are not in a rush to sell.

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

HA, the rumors of Cogeco's sale have come up again with this sale.

EACH time when any change happens in our small Canadian telecom world, even a small, small change, this rumor appears ... It is just funny. I do not see WHY Cogeco would sell ...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Rogers now controls the territory on 3 sides of Cogeco.

That's not as big a deal as it sounds considering that there's really only two major cable players in Southern Ontario, and Shaw was never major.

Mountain wanted to sell to Rogers from the very beginning, but it all came down to money and Shaw at the time had the better deal.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to grunze510

Premium Member

to grunze510
said by grunze510:

Wait, hold up. Wasn't one of the rules in the 2009ish spectrum auction that Robellus wasn't supposed allowed to buy spectrum because they wouldn't use it?

I think that was the case, yes.
I'm looking for a snippet somewhere that confirms this, so I can fire it off in my letter to IC - not that it'll do any good.

Mike

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
Ugh! First I had Mountain Cable (which did a pretty good job for my cable TV), then it switched to Shaw (same crew, but painfully long hold times to get a hold of someone at Shaw call center), and now Rogers?? I guess I have a year before this is really finalized, and make the choice to stay, or go OTA, or go with Bell Fibe TV, or maybe a combination? At least Bell finally broke the monopoly in providing TV in my area. Bell or Rogers, which is the lesser of two evils???

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to MFido

Premium Member

to MFido
Same reason the Waters family sold CHUM to CTV, MONEY.

While settle for a paltry 2m/yr (split 5 ways) in yearly return, when you can get a huge payday now and not worry about the company making or losing money.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

PIAC, CIPPIC, Open Media, and others request that the Minister stop the sale of the AWS spectrum that was reserved for new entrants which Shaw purchased, from being sold to Rogers, as its against the original intents of the auction.