spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jsoto
@verizon.net

jsoto

Anon

Cisco MGCP/SIP vs. Polycom SIP

So I'm mulling over a couple of business VOIP providers.
One of them, I think I will like from a reliability standpoint.

They say they run their own *custom software* on the backend.
ALL their *frontend* phones are Cisco. AFAIK, they have been a all *frontend* Cisco shop for the last 8 years or so....

I'm not sure how easy it is these days. I know back in the days, it was a BEAR to flash a phone from MGCP to SIP, etc.

Let's say we change providers. How HARD is it to flash the Cisco 79XX to support a regular *asterisk* provider down the road.
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra

Premium Member

»nerdvittles.com/?p=207

I tend to agree with the assesment of Cisco and SIP in that article. I have a 7911 that I picked up to try out as they're cheap on ebay. I don't recall having any issue flashing it to SIP from MGCP but it was a real pain to get a working XML template for the thing to sort of work with Asterisk. Polycom is a lot easier to work with and build/sound quality is on par with Cisco.

jsoto
@verizon.net

jsoto

Anon

Even thought the sales rep told me they are running their own custom platform from ground up, tech support told me their Cisco phones are running SCCP, in which I might presume it's SCCP = Cisco CCM.

I do think we will get the service/reliability we are seeking with going with this provider.

I just think it's a *dumb* idea to invest into Cisco phones on this day and age....and should we switch, whereas with Polycom, the universality of things are a bit better..