dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

[motherboard] Realtek HD Audio is not being recognized.

I have an old refurbished HP DC5750 and I had to do a fresh install of XP Pro. I managed to get all the drivers installed but the on board audio refuses to work. I took all the updates for XP but still nothing.
Yes it is enabled in the BIOS but it is acting like it is not. It's CPU is an AMD and it has an ATI chipset.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Did it work before the fresh install?

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
Did you try manually installing the Realtek driver?

»www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

I believe you want the "High Definition" link, chose the Windows 2000/XP/2003 driver towards the bottom.

I used to see that a lot with XP and Realtek.. the device not showing up automatically thus the need to install the driver manually.
robman50

robman50 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Did it work before the fresh install?

yes.
robman50

robman50 to beerbum

to beerbum
said by beerbum:

Did you try manually installing the Realtek driver?

»www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

I believe you want the "High Definition" link, chose the Windows 2000/XP/2003 driver towards the bottom.

I used to see that a lot with XP and Realtek.. the device not showing up automatically thus the need to install the driver manually.

I'm going to skip the HP drivers and head straight to Realtek but I haven't done that yet.

Do I need the Microsoft UAA patch for HD Audio SP2 QFE even though I am running SP3?
robman50

robman50

Would the ATI SMBus driver have to do with any of this? That was a pain to install also but its running now.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA

koitsu

MVM

Nope, SMBus has no relevancy; audio cards don't have any kind of SMBus tie-ins either, so there's not even a remote possibility of them being related.
robman50

robman50

I'll keep the fingers crossed and hope the updated drivers from Realtek will work.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
said by robman50:

Do I need the Microsoft UAA patch for HD Audio SP2 QFE even though I am running SP3?

SP3 should be fine without it.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to robman50

to robman50
Do you see anything out of ordinary (i.e: ! or ?) in Device Mangler?

Do you have the Realtek set as the Default sound playback device in "Sounds and Audio Device Properties"? (especially if you have a video with HDMI output )
robman50

robman50

It did show me an '? PCI Device' under 'Other Devices'. I thought that was a bit odd. It should have said '?Audio Controller'.
robman50

robman50

I just went through my pile of disks and I found my original HP DC5750 backup image and I had made it a bootable one so I can toss it in and boot up the backup/restore program (Arconis) and everything works.
But still HP has a stupid way they want the drivers installed. Maybe I missed something.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
It's fairly easy to determine what hardware a generically-named device is. Open it up in Device Manager, go to the Details tab, and change the dropdown list to "Hardware Ids". You should see something like PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_000B (using my Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium as an example). You can search at various sites (here's the one I use) using the vendor and device listings.