All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Russ6

to Russ6

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

is a30 the same as on screen guide 2.0?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

Uh no. A30 is for Moto markets and basically just an update to the tired old A-guide for DVR storage and some other little tweaks/updates.
On Screen Guide 2.0 is for Cisco markets and was an improved guide somewhere in between the nasty MS-DOS blue of the A-Guide and the slick new X1 guide. »info.xfinity.com/Portal/ ··· ult.aspx
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

No

A30 is the current upgrade in the Motorola STB area.

S26 is the current upgrade in the SA/Cisco STB area.

These guides will be the legacy guide in their respective STB areas for STBs that won't support the X1 Guide. The X1 guide is the next major guide for both Motorola and SA/Cisco STB areas. It will run on newer Motorola DCX STBs and Cisco RNG STBs. It is based on Tru2way protocols and the guide is displayed in 16:9 resolution.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 was a short-term bridge for Comcast to deliver AnyRoom DVR and an improved experience to some limited SA/Cisco markets while the X1 Experience was getting ready for wide deployment. Many features, functionality and customer feedback from On-Screen Guide 2.0 were finetuned and included in the X1 Experience.

Comcast doesn’t have any additional areas where it will be moving ahead with On-Screen Guide 2.0. That guide will continue to be supported in the areas where it is deployed until Comcast delivers the X1 Experience.

The X1 Experience is the eventual goal for all of Comcast's high-end cable boxes regardless of geography or existing plant infrastructure.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

You think A30 is the last version of I-Guide in the form that it looks today? It's about time they sunset that ugly thing and put 2.0 on older gear.

Can't find a video of 2.0 anywhere. Must be a real RARE installation. Curious if it has any personally going from screen to screen like X1.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by cypherstream:

You think A30 is the last version of I-Guide in the form that it looks today? It's about time they sunset that ugly thing and put 2.0 on older gear.

Can't find a video of 2.0 anywhere. Must be a real RARE installation. Curious if it has any personally going from screen to screen like X1.

I thought A28 was the last version until Comcast came out with A30 last Fall. It might depend on how long it takes Comcast to make a X1 Guide for Motorola STBs and if there are any najor bugs that need to be fixed or new features that Comcast wants to add to A30.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 will not be deployed in the Motorola STB areas or any new SA/Cisco STB areas. They will skip it and go directly to the X1 Guide.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to cypherstream

to cypherstream
There is going to be some sort of update to Motorola equipment to bring in an automatic spin down feature on the hard drive when it's idle for an extended period of time this year I don't know if it will be in a whole new update like A31 or if it will just be a revisional update like A30 1.0 »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 9#M64269, as well as the enabling of the eSATA port for external hard drives mentioned in the near future.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by Mike Wolf:

There is going to be some sort of update to Motorola equipment to bring in an automatic spin down feature on the hard drive when it's idle for an extended period of time this year I don't know if it will be in a whole new update like A31 or if it will just be a revisional update like A30 1.0 »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 9#M64269, as well as the enabling of the eSATA port for external hard drives mentioned in the near future.

A30 enables the eSATA port, see »Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

ah ok cool. so then its just a question of the method to bring the spin down feature to the Motorola software.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
said by Russ6:

said by Mike Wolf:

A30 enables the eSATA port, see »Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

A30 does not automatically enable the eSATA port. A30 is required before the eSATA port can be enabled, which is a separate rollout. Two different things.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
HD spin down sounds more like a firmware function than a Guide function.

It's a shame they are skipping 2.0. We saw glimpses of it at CES in 2008 and it is the biggest vaporware since Duke Nukem Forever.

It looks like an easier transition from 2.0 to 3.0. Seems like nice software. Maybe they could sell it to other smaller cable operators.

I'm glad I left this outfit long ago. Seems still to this day the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. At least with DirecTV we get regular software updates. I'll enjoy poster art, Pandora and high res graphics while Comcasters are stuck in the Stone Age. Nothing seems to motivate Comcast. At least a lot of my wants and wishlist ideas were (or are) being implemented with DirecTV thanks to the CE (cutting edge) program.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by cypherstream:

HD spin down sounds more like a firmware function than a Guide function.

It's a shame they are skipping 2.0. We saw glimpses of it at CES in 2008 and it is the biggest vaporware since Duke Nukem Forever.

It looks like an easier transition from 2.0 to 3.0. Seems like nice software. Maybe they could sell it to other smaller cable operators.

I'm glad I left this outfit long ago. Seems still to this day the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. At least with DirecTV we get regular software updates. I'll enjoy poster art, Pandora and high res graphics while Comcasters are stuck in the Stone Age. Nothing seems to motivate Comcast. At least a lot of my wants and wishlist ideas were (or are) being implemented with DirecTV thanks to the CE (cutting edge) program.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is in use on Comcast's newest Cisco cable boxes (both the Cisco RNG 200N and Cisco RNG 150N) via a different and newer protocol and technology (called OCAP or tru2way) when AnyRoom DVR functionality is used.

This new guide experience is currently available in the areas listed below where Comcast uses SA/Cisco-branded cable boxes:

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Minnesota.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I don't think its a firmware update, I think it's a software function that allows the drives to spin down instead of sending a constant-on ping or something. I know Western Digital's internal hard drives and DVR Expander drives have a 10 minute auto spin down built into the drive firmware (from what their tier 2 tech support told me yesterday) I've read online that when the S25 software was first installed on the 8300HD and RNG200N set tops the hard drive would spin up and spin down every ten minutes. »SA 8300HD - new guide & drive keeps spinning up/down

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
Russ-

I know its tru2way, but you list 7 states have 2.0 but yet there's not one single youtube clip of it, online review, or a user on here posting screen shots and comments, questions or concerns.

I just think your lucky if 0.00000005% of customers have it - AT ALL. I mean there's just ZERO online presence of it (besides Comcast's nice instruction website on it and Ted Hodgekins posts).

2.0 - the guide Comcast forgot...

Yet there's quite a few X1 youtube clips and reviews popping up. Kinda weird if you ask me.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by cypherstream:

Russ-

I know its tru2way, but you list 7 states have 2.0 but yet there's not one single youtube clip of it, online review, or a user on here posting screen shots and comments, questions or concerns.

I just think your lucky if 0.00000005% of customers have it - AT ALL. I mean there's just ZERO online presence of it (besides Comcast's nice instruction website on it and Ted Hodgekins posts).

2.0 - the guide Comcast forgot...

Yet there's quite a few X1 youtube clips and reviews popping up. Kinda weird if you ask me.

I agree that On-Screen Guide 2.0 is in limited use. It only works in 6 states and only with SA/Cisco STBs in those states and Comcast only allows it to be used with AnyRoom DVR functionality, which further limits its use. About 80% of Comcast customers use Motorola and it is not available on Motorola STBs.

psujim
join:2007-10-10
Reading, PA

psujim to Russ6

to Russ6
said by Russ6:

A30 is the current upgrade in the Motorola STB area.

S26 is the current upgrade in the SA/Cisco STB area.

These guides will be the legacy guide in their respective STB areas for STBs that won't support the X1 Guide. The X1 guide is the next major guide for both Motorola and SA/Cisco STB areas. It will run on newer Motorola DCX STBs and Cisco RNG STBs. It is based on Tru2way protocols and the guide is displayed in 16:9 resolution.

The X1 Experience is the eventual goal for all of Comcast's high-end cable boxes regardless of geography or existing plant infrastructure.

So, what you are saying is eventually (the key word) the new guide experience will be on the DCX3400 without switching out to the X1 box?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Russ6

to Russ6
Hey Russ would be nice if someone would supply us with specific model numbers but Comcast seems tight lipped.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to psujim

Premium Member

to psujim
said by psujim:

So, what you are saying is eventually (the key word) the new guide experience will be on the DCX3400 without switching out to the X1 box?

Correct. That is the end goal. Older boxes will be iGuide, but newer more capable boxes like the Motorola DCX series will get the X1 Guide Software.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Just found my answer in the other thread...nm....