join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Mont

MVM

to Mont

Re: [hard drive] Brought PC to change Power supply now the hard

said by Mont:

Thanks , i thought about the fan but i notice that as soon as the drive write it does that sound.

I'm sorry to say I can't really hear the difference in the video you provided. All I can hear are the two noises I mentioned -- the constant noise of what sounds like a very loud fan, and something growling/grinding that also sounds like a misaligned or faulty fan motor.

Do you have a stationary microphone or something you can place near/around the PC case (while it's open), particularly near the hard disk, then provide audio of the system idling (no disk I/O), then doing a large amount of disk I/O (specifically reading, then followed up with writing)?

I myself have incredibly sensitive hearing so I pick up on noises (especially high and low frequencies) that a lot of other people can't hear -- but recordings with a digital camera or mobile phone often do not work well given the quality.
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

Thanks , i blocked the case fan and the noise was still there so it might be the cpu fan but i didn't hear nothing also i did disconnect the hard drive and the noise wasn't there.

I don't have the computer since it's at the store and i had to go and get it friday but thursday i slip in the hallway and fell the stair to the basement in my house so i can't really lift nothing so il go get it when i feel better and il try to record the noise again.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

Your system has multiple fans; it may have one case fan, but there are also GPU fans that can make this same type of noise. You gotta narrow it down, but it shouldn't take too much time.

I agree with Tweakbl See Profile's analysis -- it really does sound like a fan and not a hard disk. I just replace fans rather than oil them, because more often than not the manufacturer doesn't provide a hole for access to the sleeve bearing (no reason for this either, other than to make you buy replacement parts rather than service/repair existing ones).
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

I bought the Hard Drive today and the noise is not there anymore as i did verify the fans and they are fine.

Thank you to everyone.