join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates to chrisretusn

Premium Member

to chrisretusn

Re: Feds warn PC users to disable Java

said by chrisretusn:

VU#625617 has been patched by Oracle and as I have already mentioned. I am not all that concerned about this; and this has nothing to do with my preferred operating system being Linux. I do run Windows and have Java install their as well. I think there is a lot of over reaction to this.

That overreaction may be due at least in part to the fact DHS is involved. We've seen a lot of vulnerabilities over the years, some of which went unpatched for years - but I don't recall DHS getting into the act before. The warnings came from software houses or researchers or independent testers. I don't want to minimize a danger, but the skeptic in me wonders if this isn't some sort of test - by DHS.

Federal government sites use java. So wtf?

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Perhaps someone at DHS was sick and tired of Oracle never fully patching the thing and decided to use the power available to him or her in their position at DHS to give them a kick in the rear.

-------------------

La Luna, thanks for answering my question.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

That overreaction may be due at least in part to the fact DHS is involved. We've seen a lot of vulnerabilities over the years, some of which went unpatched for years - but I don't recall DHS getting into the act before. The warnings came from software houses or researchers or independent testers. I don't want to minimize a danger, but the skeptic in me wonders if this isn't some sort of test - by DHS.

Federal government sites use java. So wtf?

I think it's nice DHS said something.

I'm still amazed some folks consider this a problem only with proprietary Java code, and conclude identical open source code is somehow invulnerable. This is a demonstration of faith not supported by any possible fact.

It appears both the open and proprietary Java versions should be considered vulnerable until someone demonstrates the open code isn't the same and is not vulnerable. Also waiting for Java proprietary to be patched, assuming the open source code is identical, sort of mitigates some of the claimed virtue of open source. Shouldn't the open source community have fixed this long ago?

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

said by pandora:

I'm still amazed some folks consider this a problem only with proprietary Java code, and conclude identical open source code is somehow invulnerable. This is a demonstration of faith not supported by any possible fact.

I don't think anyone has said is a problem with only proprietary Java code. No one has said open source is invulnerable. Not sure were you got that from.

In fact the advisory has been updated and OpenJDK and IcedTea are both listed as affected.

Does that change anything as far as I am concerned? No it does not. I am not disabling or removing Java from my machines. When a patch is released for OpenJDK I will apply it.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 edit

pandora

Premium Member

said by chrisretusn:

I don't think anyone has said is a problem with only proprietary Java code. No one has said open source is invulnerable.

The first post I replied to in this thread, indicated the solution (his solution iirc) was to disable Windows. As if this were a Windows problem. Upon follow up, I was assured the solution was open Java.

It doesn't appear either is a solution for this problem. Windows has earned a reputation for vulnerability on Internet over many years, and Linux a reputation for reliability. Windows has greatly improved it's security, while Linux when used as a desktop or desktop-like system (tablet, very smart phone) is almost always hackable (someone can find a way to get any phone or tablet rooted). Worse most customers are easily hacked by simple social engineering (almost any app will be installed regardless of what it does after installation).

The themes I was fascinated with were; 1) That Windows was the problem (in the case it isn't), and 2) Open source would save users from this hack (apparently not true in this case).

Sorry.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
Not saying the open code doesn't have certain vulnerabilities. It is fairly unlikely it is the same vulnerabilities though. The open source people have to use different code to achieve their goal, or run a severe risk of being slapped with a nasty lawsuit by Oracle. Same has long applied for things like Linux graphics drivers, too(btw, the open source radeon driver kicks the snot out of proprietary fglrx on my laptop, in terms of OpenGL performance, with no worries that upgrading my X or my kernel will break it. DirectX support is limited but I really don't need it for what I do in Linux.). There has also been no security alerts on the Open Java. With the number of devs that have been working on that project, I am pretty sure somebody has checked this out. It is not Linux perse that would protect against this vulnerability. It is running different code altogether that would. Oracle Linux users would be just as vulnerable, unless of course, they manage to comprehensively sandbox the app in question(Java). I used to run Firefox sandboxed, due to all its vulnerabilities, but found another browser I liked(Chromium) that sandboxes 1 of the biggest security liabilities on its own(Adobe Flash).