All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rekees
join:2007-03-23

rekees

Slow 4G speed

Signed up for the Millenicom Hotspot plan. The MiFi 4620LE Jetpack modem/router arrived today (1/14/2013). According to its display it's connecting to 4G with 3 bars. However, I did several speedtest.net tests and averaged around .25Mbps down. That speed is unacceptable, was expecting at least 5.0Mbps. The RSSI is -97dBm and SINR is 20 dB. Does that mean a weak signal is causing the slow speed or could there be some other problem? According to the Verizon coverage map I am located in their "Verizon 4G LTE Extended" area. Any suggestions on how to increase the speed would be appreciated.
rekees

rekees

Figured out the problem (I think?). Had the MBR1000 Wi-Fi and the 4620LE Wi-Fi turned on at the same time and apparently they were interfering with each other. Turned off the MBR1000 and speedtest.net now says the 4620LE is getting 25-30Mbps !!!!!!! OMG HAPPY DANCE
rekees

rekees

Just for clarification, after further testing, it appears that Wi-Fi interference per se between the MBR1000 and 4620LE was not the problem. The actual problem was (is) that Windows gets confused when simultaneously connected to more than one network.
HaloQueen
join:2013-03-17
Winchester, IN

HaloQueen

I currently use the 4620L Jetpack through Verizon. My speeds are average but I like to play XBL and watch YouTube and thought about switching to Mellenicom for more data but I just renewed my contract with Verizon and hate to pay all those early termination fees and lose my old contract to switch and find out it doesn't work. I also live in Indiana-Eastern side, less than 10 miles from Ohio line and was curious if you would be willing to share which area of Indiana you are located. Those speeds you were getting are AMAZING.

I can get 4G on my iPhone 5 but not on my 4G capable 4620L Jetpack and Verizon cannot explain to me why? So I seriously considering buying an antenna & router then when my contract is up switch to Millenicom. How does yours seem to be working?
rekees
join:2007-03-23

rekees

HaloQueen

My 4620 Jetpack has been working great. I'm located 20 miles west of Brookville in an area Verizon calls "4G LTE Extended". You should check the Verizon 4G coverage map to see if your location is covered. Switching from Verizon to Millenicom isn't going to solve your problem because Millenicom uses Verizon's network. Also buying an antenna isn't going to help if you aren't getting a 4G signal in the first place. I think your proper course of action is to keep calling Verizon until you reach a competent representative who can tell you why your 4620 isn't getting 4G. Note that Verizon has stated it's current 3G footprint will be all 4G by the end of 2013.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to HaloQueen

to HaloQueen
said by HaloQueen:

I can get 4G on my iPhone 5 but not on my 4G capable 4620L Jetpack and Verizon cannot explain to me why?

I had one of the verizon pre-paid jetpacks that did this (4510L)... ended up just swapping it out for another unit/simcard.

They decided it could either be the sim or the unit but since it was a prepaid they just replaced them both. I still think it could have been an error in their provisioning but they didn't bother to (or couldn't) re-build the account so I will never know.

Since you are still under warranty I would go that route, have em swap it out at the store (both unit and sim card to cover all bases)