Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to Rifleman

Re: Stock vs Cross Drilled or Slotted Brake Rotors

I upgraded the pads and rotors on my Fusion to EBC slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads and even on the street it feels like the best $1,100 I ever spent on my car. Given that an AWD Fusion weighs 3,600lbs before even my lard ass is in the car, better brakes are a must.

On the track I do a yearly event to force myself to push my eyes down the track (and by extension the road) Nothing gives you a wakeup call faster than Moss Corner @ Mosport if you aren't looking ahead and planning.

NefCanuck

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

One of the first things I was taught was to "look where you're going to be, not where you're at". I use that in everyday driving too (one reason I hate being behind a SUV or other large vehicle). I can't see far enough up the road to suit me.

To my post above: Ha, just happened to get a good shot of the front rotor of the Cayman S. Yep, it's slotted and drilled.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

said by Crash Gordon:

One of the first things I was taught was to "look where you're going to be, not where you're at". I use that in everyday driving too (one reason I hate being behind a SUV or other large vehicle). I can't see far enough up the road to suit me.

Here in CT it's rare to see anyone look behind the front of the hood, I should get $5 for every time I see people just slam on the brakes because they did not look up a simple 3 car lengths ahead.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

That isn't confined just to CT. It's everywhere these days.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Juggernaut:

That isn't confined just to CT. It's everywhere these days.

True.. but when you mix with impatient NY drivers they don't care.

It's like why if you move out of the lane (lets say the 3rd lane) and you have a car behind you, why do they speed up to only follow 2-3 seconds behind the car in front of them? I don't think I've ever seen a person not speed up to close a gap only to hit the brakes.. why not keep the same following distance?
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Same with the driver's here. I have to wonder when I see people pass me to get to a red light, as I glide toward it.

They're stopped as I go by at 25 mph.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

haha same here, and since I take the same way most of the time and arrive about the same time you know how long a light is, I've notice in some sections it's timed for a 40 mph speed limit.

I'm not sure about Kelowna but a few people here will run redlights but running as in they are already red but they just go anyways.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Whoa! Not too many here do that, but I always wait for 3 seconds after green just in case. Saved my ass a few times.

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

Subaru is correct. Here in New York they say a red light is not red until the bulb is warm.

Last year we just started getting red light cameras. Some idiots who got tickets started to complain that stopping for a red light was dangerous because you could get rear ended.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I wish they would get red light cameras here.. this one intersection here.. I just don't understand.. OK so you can't wait for the next cycle change.. So lets have friken 4 cars keep making a left turn on red while everyone else who has the green wait for you to make your turn..

I drive around in Westchester county sometimes and they are far better IMHO.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I'll bet if there was a cop sitting there they wouldn't...

People know they're breaking the law, yet don't give a damn until they're being surveilled. Somehow, I don't think it would go over well for insurance either.

I agree with you on the dash cam. I was thinking of getting a Go-Pro for that very reason.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

ha I thought about calling the police just to let them know, and I will be getting a contour roam, rage cams has a nice magnet mount for the outside that looks nice

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
reply to Juggernaut

The only good point of living in a place where traffic laws are optional is that the unofficial expressway speed limit is 70 and the cops don't seem to bother you if you keep below 75.

The downside is that every one in 5 drivers has a friggin cell phone held up to their ear. Women seem to be the worst at this.

I don't live up in Subaru's part of the state, but I do go up there once in a while and I think 70 is the norm on I95 and the NY throughway.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yep 70 is the norm the speed limit signs on 95 here show 55, and I did get stopped one morning I was guilty I saw the state trooper facing the north bound side and I was the only one on the highway at 4AM so I pulled over to save him some trouble, and I told him to be honest I never noticed the speed limit, having lived here for so long he told me anything over 80 is reckless driving and they will inpound your car and take away your license, I was doing about 75 at the time but the fact that I pulled over quick enough and as the trooper said I was not Bs'ing him he wrote it as 65 instead.

I tried driving the speed limit just to see how it would be.. it's damn scary just being in the first lane!

Also since you are from NY bgraham maybe you can help me understand lol... why do all NY people do like 90 MPH at like 4 AM and no one is in front of them? I used to stay off 684 when it rained, almost all the time I would see someone that ran off the road and hit the metal gaurd rail.
--