uniqs

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

1TB 5400 rpm vs 7200rpm 750 2012 MacBook Pro

I think i'm going to go with the 1 TB but i'd like your input on maybe what you got with your Mac Book Pro (any year and why). I think 7200 rpm is speed at the expense of noise, heat and vibration and battery life take a hit

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

What I would do is get a 250gb SSD, and then OWC's Data Doubler and put a 1TB 5400RPM in the optical bay.

I did this upgrade for my boss in his 2012 MBP. It screams now, and he has more space while still keeping battery life good and heat in check. he keeps the stuff he doesnt need really fast access on the 1TB drive, and the rest on the SSD.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to IowaMan

Premium Member

to IowaMan
I agree 100% with HiVolt; the MBP begs for a SSD as its boot and application drive. My new mid-2012 MBP felt slower than my old 2006 MBP because it came with the 5400 spinning drive. (I had done the SSD upgrade to my old MBP)

For the mid-'12, I bought a second drive caddy to replace the optical drive ($42 from NewModeUS: »www.newmodeus.com/shop/i ··· s_id=410)
OWC is also a great choice and a bit cheaper.
»eshop.macsales.com/item/ ··· AMBS0GB/

I have a measly 60GB OWC Mercury Electra Pro 3G SSD and it's fine for OS 10.8 and lots of apps.

If you're going to do this upgrade, it's a bit easier to do it when new, before you start putting applications and data in your home folder, but with a bit of rejiggering in the user accounts prefpane, it can be done after the fact too.

I already had an external optical drive, but you can get an enclosure for the removed Superdrive to keep using it. I use mine maybe a couple times a year, mostly to rip DVDs for my kids.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

The OWC adapter does not seal the drive around it... more ventilation it seems than the one you linked from newmodeus. Not sure if it matters any for the drive, but i always figure better ventilation for a drive can't hurt...

The OWC kit went in like butter with their detailed instructions.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
And with this you can fuse to a single volume although a lot of people prefer to manually manage what files are on the SSD or HDD.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

And with this you can fuse to a single volume although a lot of people prefer to manually manage what files are on the SSD or HDD.

yea i dunno about doing it manually...

it would be cool if apple would provide a disk utility way to do it...

but then they would sell less fusion drive setups, so i'm betting this will never happen hehe...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I did it with my 2011 mini (256GB Kingston Hyper X and a 1TB HDD) and it works great. Following the steps it was really easy. I CCC'd my stuff to a temp USB external and then created the fused volume and then CCC'd everything back. After a couple of reboots and running a few apps, OS X moved everything around. The moving is done after the machine is idle for awhile. ML has the OS and frequently used apps including my Fusion XP VM on the SSD.