Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

schaps
Premium
join:2004-01-15
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Tehrasha

Re: [MN] no router or firewall in standard install?

said by Tehrasha:

... The cost savings of not renting a modem/router and the subscription to MC's 'Home Networking Service' will pay for the gear very quickly.

I think my post shows I know the importance of a firewall. I was hoping for more information about how Mediacom runs things, if it's normal that a standard install includes no firewall router. I would suspect that the "home networking service" is not available to businesses. Is there a business service equivalent?
--
--------------------------

Edumacational Technoconologist

StreatorTech

join:2009-12-02
Streator, IL
Mediacom does not provided any sort of networking to commercial accounts. All we do is provide you the modem as your internet source. Anything you want to do beyond that is up to you. There is no business equivalent. We do not provide firewalls period. Any sort of security is up to the consumer, as it should be.

schaps
Premium
join:2004-01-15
Saint Paul, MN
said by StreatorTech:

...We do not provide firewalls period. Any sort of security is up to the consumer, as it should be.

Not disputing your opinion, but do you think this position is common in the industry? In my experience, at least regarding small business accounts, it's rather rare to not provide a firewall/router. But I am seeking to learn here.
--
--------------------------

Edumacational Technoconologist

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by schaps:

said by StreatorTech:

...We do not provide firewalls period. Any sort of security is up to the consumer, as it should be.

Not disputing your opinion, but do you think this position is common in the industry? In my experience, at least regarding small business accounts, it's rather rare to not provide a firewall/router. But I am seeking to learn here.

That's a industry wide standard. For various reasons as well which joleme noted.

Someone also said it's always better to supply your own security as well. Which is correct and true.

said by schaps:

said by silbaco:

Businesses of any size should always have their own security.

Of any size? Perhaps if you said businesses of a size able to hire an IT person, I might agree. Aside from that, few small businesses understand their needs, especially those in non-tech industries.

I would counter that an ISP selling a small business customer away from their existing ISP which did provide a firewall has a professional responsibility to make sure this customer understands that their formerly private network will now be exposed wide open to the Internet. But since the sale tactic is price-based, that disclosure might negatively affect the customer's decision. It's probably all in the fine print, but every ISP knows that few customers read it and most would not understand it if they did. I'm not getting convinced that this isn't a crappy business practice.

People not read the fine print is their own fault. If you do read and don't understand ask.

To be honest, unless you're hosting a website on the business line your using, you don't really need a heavy duty firewall. You can use a basic software one to get the security you need.