join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to IowaMan

Re: 1TB 5400 rpm vs 7200rpm 750 2012 MacBook Pro

What I would do is get a 250gb SSD, and then OWC's Data Doubler and put a 1TB 5400RPM in the optical bay.

I did this upgrade for my boss in his 2012 MBP. It screams now, and he has more space while still keeping battery life good and heat in check. he keeps the stuff he doesnt need really fast access on the 1TB drive, and the rest on the SSD.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

And with this you can fuse to a single volume although a lot of people prefer to manually manage what files are on the SSD or HDD.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by skeechan:

And with this you can fuse to a single volume although a lot of people prefer to manually manage what files are on the SSD or HDD.

yea i dunno about doing it manually...

it would be cool if apple would provide a disk utility way to do it...

but then they would sell less fusion drive setups, so i'm betting this will never happen hehe...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I did it with my 2011 mini (256GB Kingston Hyper X and a 1TB HDD) and it works great. Following the steps it was really easy. I CCC'd my stuff to a temp USB external and then created the fused volume and then CCC'd everything back. After a couple of reboots and running a few apps, OS X moved everything around. The moving is done after the machine is idle for awhile. ML has the OS and frequently used apps including my Fusion XP VM on the SSD.