spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EmilGolen

join:2000-09-25
Barrington, IL

5.7Mbps before service, 4.8Mbps after, Help!

I was having intermittent issues with my 6Mbps service. I called service, they saw something with the line and sent out a repair guy. Of course the two days prior to him coming out it worked perfectly, about 5.7Mbps down (can't remember the up but I'm thinking above .6Mbps) - I'm happy with these numbers, I'm just looking for reliability. The service guy said all is good inside but wasn't happy with a filter and replaced it. He also set up for a guy to come check the line on the pole. A few hours later someone is out there!
Unfortunately after this work the best sync rate I could get was 5300! It's now at 4927, I'm not happy with this. I call service again and they basically agree the line don't look right but I'm within 75% of max so they can't do anything. I was nice and didn't shoot the messenger but I was not happy.
Any ideas how to resolve this?
It obviously ran at 5.7Mbps prior to the "repair" now I'm down about 1Mbps. As a matter of fact all summer it ran at 5.7!
Help!

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

2 edits
I'd post in the direct forum and see what they're able to do for you.

EmilGolen

Barrington, IL
Thanks,
Got one there just was fishing to see if anyone else had a similar problem.
Guess I'll have to wait it out, when something is not working right it seems like an eternity to get a response even if it's immediate .

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
reply to EmilGolen
"The service guy said all is good inside but wasn't happy with a filter and replaced it"

These filters can cause this degradation, many of us remove them in similar situations. I know I'm gonna hear some flack for this but it will work I many cases just fine without any filters. Just monitor the numbers afterwards for several days. These filters are put in as a one size fits all solution. Circuits are not created equal like many things.

In your case its prob as simple as just removing the filter,.

EmilGolen

Barrington, IL

I'm an EE, no problem, just as a test point of course.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to EmilGolen
Did your intermittent problem resolve? If so, it's possible that whatever was done to the line stabilized it, but resulted in a lower sync rate. I have a similar issue with my line. If it syncs at 46000 or higher, my error rate really jumps. If it syncs ~45000 my error rate stays quite low.

EmilGolen

Barrington, IL
You have a great point and it may be exactly my case also.
I'll try it in the next few days and report back!
Thanks

EmilGolen

Barrington, IL
reply to EmilGolen
I haven't been able to improve my situation significantly.
I'm at about 5300 sync.

I tried removing the filter but I see it just filters the non-DSL line although it is still in parallel with the DSL but no real improvement.
I then disconnected everything besides the DSL, same.
It's got to be in the line somewhere.

My download is 4.76Mbps down and a paltry .36Mbps up.

Doesn't seem like fiber is available unless it's from a competitor, would hate to have to do that though.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to EmilGolen
My money is on the line technician botching something and the sync speed not improving until you get some TLC from a line tech who cares. The problem is that when the service is stable, within TOS speed, and you don't have TV and home phone on the same line, it's pulling hairs to get said line work done.
Give it a few weeks, then break it down for the techs on the Direct Forum. They should be able to let you know if higher sync speeds are possible.

EmilGolen

Barrington, IL
Thanks,
I have something going on the Direct Forum but haven't gotten a response recently. I'll wait it out and see how it goes.