Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

w2kr

join:2000-07-19
Florham Park, NJ

[DVR] Video/audio glitches playing DVR shows on non-DVR boxes

I have a system comprised of two 7232 DVRs and 3
QIP7100-2 STBs and an Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2, Rev F router.

The problem is that when playing recorded shows on the non-DVR STBs, at least once each 1/2 hour I get an audio/video glitch, usually an audio drop out and pixelation. If I rewind and play the troubled spot again it is not reproducible. No glitches occur watching shows directly on the DVRs.

This occurs with all STBs when playing shows from either DVR. I figure this to be either a router problem or just a software glitch that I'll need to live with until the next upgrade.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Should I get the router replaced? Could it be the ONT?

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [DVR] Video/audio glitches playing DVR shows on non-DVR boxe

Exact same thing has been happening to us since, well, forever. Nothing has fixed it - not software, not cabling, not rebooting, not auto-fix. All signals are strong. It does seem to be worse some times more than others. Sadly we've learned to live with it. (Oh and we have the latest Actiontec router, fwiw.)

jpeezy13

join:2008-08-27
Pittsburgh, PA

said by bsangs:

Exact same thing has been happening to us since, well, forever. Nothing has fixed it - not software, not cabling, not rebooting, not auto-fix. All signals are strong. It does seem to be worse some times more than others. Sadly we've learned to live with it. (Oh and we have the latest Actiontec router, fwiw.)

I'm in the same boat. I have checked connections, cabling, rebooting. Nothing seems to fix it. We have learned to live with it but it's still annoying. From my recollection, this began when we received the big updated last year (I dont recall exactly when it was, I'm in VHO11). Other than these audio/video glitches, everything works perfectly so I'm hesitate to replace boxes and lose recordings.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

That's exactly right jpeezy. And it's definitely something to do with MRDVR. Because it only happens when we watch a DVRed program remotely (on a box different from the DVR on which the program recorded). It doesn't happen when we watch the program on the originating DVR. It's annoying when it happens, but a quick rewind and it goes away, so not worth the trouble of swapping stuff out.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to w2kr

said by w2kr:

Should I get the router replaced?

Unlikely it's the router. Playback of recorded shows from a DVR to a STB doesn't go through the router. It stays on the MOCA LAN (coax).
said by w2kr:

Could it be the ONT?

No. The ONT is not involved with playback of recorded material.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.