Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Start Communications - New Packages

Click for full size
The new packages are now available »www.start.ca/services/highspeed

Existing customers are grandfathered on their previous packages, ie same speed, cap and price that they signed up for. Of course anyone is welcome to change should the new package be a better fit. No cost to change, other than be aware that the D2 modems are now only accepted on the Basic package.

The Cogeco speeds for Basic and the upload speeds are expected to change shortly once it goes through the tariffing process. It is not anticipated at this time that those changes will impact the new package pricing.

I'm sure there will be a few questions, fire away.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

3 edits

silvercat

hi Rocca:

Great news on the new speeds (and really appreciate that we are grandfathered with the same speeds / usage and price).

But my question is: Why do we have lower usage caps now ?

Edit: I should mention that i'm currently on the 30/2 package (Cogeco's last mile), and so the price went down by $10 which is great, but the usage cap also decreased by 150 MB. Also, for Cogeco territories, where the highest usage cap was 400 MB, it's now 350 MB. I was just wondering what the reasoning was.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 edit

rocca

Premium Member

I figured that'd be question #1.

Simply, in two words: "Capacity rate".

When we came up with the original quotas in March 2012, we expected we'd be stuck with the current ludicrous interim rates for maybe 2 or 3 months and absorb those costs, but here we are just about 10 months after launch and we're taking a beating when it comes to capacity. Something had to give and raising all the rates by $5 or $10 seemed pretty drastic, so we opted to go the other way and keep the pricing as low as we can and still have higher tiers for those that are above average consumers.

Even with the new cap structure we need the Commission to act soon to prevent further erosion.

edit: Also, if/when the CRTC approves a final rate that is sustainable we'll bump all the quotas back up.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

hi Rocca:

Okay, that's what i thought in regards to the reason for lowering the usage caps, at least on the Cogeco last mile network.

Still, i really appreciate that we're grandfathered on the "old" plan. You still might take a beating with respect to bandwidth usage from all us grandfathered users. But yes i agree: i hope the CRTC comes out with a decision mandating lower wholesale rates for IISP's. So it may be soon that the bandwidth caps increase again.

Motofreak
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
Oshawa, ON

Motofreak to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
I just signed up this morning! but I have 29 days left with Robbers until the switch. Can I just call up and change the to 45/4 plan? or will the CSRs not have any info in their computers for a few days ?

thanks

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Yes no problem. Depending on where in the order process is you might have to wait until activation for the speed change to happen, which generally is within 24 hours from that request. This is because there isn't a way to amend an existing order nor is there an ability with their backend to submit two orders on the same account so basically we have to wait for the install to complete and then submit the speed change.

I suspect the phones may be a little busier than normal tomorrow, if you get a queue you can always just send an email to support@start.ca with your account # and your instructions and they'll be happy to help you out that way too.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

brassy
join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON

brassy to rocca

to rocca
Damn, disappointed in this.

A lowering of quotas with an increase in speed? Does not compute.....

And any ideas when usage tracking will finally be available in Mr. Reds Neighborhood?

Shikomu
join:2007-11-16
Ontario

Shikomu to rocca

to rocca
Hi Rocca:

Bit confused. My signup date is today Jan 15th. Tech to come today. I hooked up modem last night DCM476 and everything is working. I signed up for the 20 Meg DL and 1.5 Meg UL. with 300 meg cap at $49.99 a month. Speedtest.net shows about 22M/2M. So would I be on the 30M/2M 250Gig plan or 20M/1.5M 150Gig plan ? Kinda need to know to determine if my line is OK. Ex. I get 23M but should get 30M or I'm OK ? I was charge the 1st $49.95 so I'm pretty sure I'm on the 20/1.5 plan as signed up last week. So if I want to switch to the same with 150Gig cap and $10 less I need to call in ?

Thanks

Pesterd
@rogers.com

Pesterd

Anon

Any idea when the decision will come about rates $? First half of this year?
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to rocca

to rocca
How about one more tier, or an option of some kind: $10 more, for a 450GB usage cap ?

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
The new speeds as very tempting but it would cost me more than Teksavvy and give me less usage so I'll continue waiting for the CRTC decision to come out.
CoreyMe
join:2007-11-03
London, ON

CoreyMe to mlord

to mlord
said by mlord:

How about one more tier, or an option of some kind: $10 more, for a 450GB usage cap ?

I'm curious about this too. TekSavvy charges $15/mo to go from a 300GB cap to unlimited on their 28/1 cable plan. Is that feasible for Start?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by CoreyMe:

I'm curious about this too. TekSavvy charges $15/mo to go from a 300GB cap to unlimited on their 28/1 cable plan. Is that feasible for Start?

Teksavvy is running under non-aggregate pricing, Start is running under Aggregate pricing.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Pesterd

Premium Member

to Pesterd
said by Pesterd :

Any idea when the decision will come about rates $? First half of this year?

I was hoping that they'd be out in September, then October, then before the New Year, at this point I'm just hoping they come out at all.
rocca

rocca to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
said by mlord:

Unfortunately that will have to wait until the capacity rate is reduced. Even the current caps aren't sustainable long-term while the capacity rate is still insanely priced.
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

yabos

said by rocca:

said by mlord:

Unfortunately that will have to wait until the capacity rate is reduced. Even the current caps aren't sustainable long-term while the capacity rate is still insanely priced.

That's probably their plan since they don't like 3rd parties offering better deals for less money than what they offer.
CoreyMe
join:2007-11-03
London, ON

CoreyMe to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

I guess that answers my question too. Sad to hear that, but I appreciate the reply.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by CoreyMe:

I guess that answers my question too. Sad to hear that, but I appreciate the reply.

Some may call me a bit of an optimist at some times, but I have to think the reason it's taking _so_ long to come out with the decision is that the Commission is really trying to get it right. If they do, then consumers will likely have many more options available.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

Too bad, that. I'm just looking at what my router says our usage has been for each of the past 12 calendar months. Most months are under 300GB, but five of them exceeded 350GB. So your new plans won't work for us.

Hopefully the CRTC will respond at some point soon.

Cheers

TomTor3
@quickplay.com

TomTor3 to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Why D2 modems are not supported on Standard Cable anymore? They can easily handle that speed. I just bought Standard Cable service from Start this month, and now I have to already buy a new modem to get the new speeds???? This is not fair! What's the technical explanation to that decision to left behind all D2 owners?
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by CoreyMe:

Some may call me a bit of an optimist at some times, but I have to think the reason it's taking _so_ long to come out with the decision is that the Commission is really trying to get it right. If they do, then consumers will likely have many more options available.

I just wanna say, that's how North Americans work. Slowly....

Question: Usage cannot be tracked by Rogers right? So technically, it is still unlimited usage. Or does APOI give Rogers the ability to track how much usage you're using?

Also, so you're still losing money on cable with each new subscriber?

BThunderW
join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON

BThunderW to rocca

to rocca
Upgraded to Pro! Thanks Start and Rocca. PM'd a buddy on Start, he's upgraded too. Nice.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to TomTor3

to TomTor3

Why D2 modems are not supported on Standard Cable anymore? They can easily handle that speed. I just bought Standard Cable service from Start this month, and now I have to already buy a new modem to get the new speeds???? This is not fair! What's the technical explanation to that decision to left behind all D2 owners?

i'm almost 99% sure you weren't provided a D2 modem if you just bought a modem let alone the last 6+ months.
jmck

jmck to geokilla

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

said by rocca:

said by CoreyMe:

I just wanna say, that's how North Americans work. Slowly....

Question: Usage cannot be tracked by Rogers right? So technically, it is still unlimited usage. Or does APOI give Rogers the ability to track how much usage you're using?

Also, so you're still losing money on cable with each new subscriber?

I don't think they can actually track individual users but Rogers does track the entire usage and bills them based on it :/

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

No, it's definitely not unlimited. We do track usage and people that are greatly abusing their quota get a call. Once the automated correlation piece is done (waiting on Rogers to finish a piece) then we'll be able to post it on the usage tracker much more easily. Most people have been respectful of their limits and we haven't had to make too many calls or throttle them down.
rocca

rocca to TomTor3

Premium Member

to TomTor3
said by TomTor3 :

The new speeds require D3 because they use channel bonding on the upstream and channel bonding is a D3 technology. Unfortunately it's just not technically possible to provision the new packages on the D2 modems.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Still no unlimited cable high speed tar other then basic why you got to do this to me?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by TOPDAWG:

Still no unlimited cable high speed tar other then basic why you got to do this to me?

It's the man.

We need sustainable rates from the Commission, then watch out!

brassy
join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON

brassy

Assuming if the crtc rates are fair (lololoaoaoaqijlkahfalsdfasdf) and you can increase the quotas, they will be offered to both groups (the ones that choose to upgrade now, and the others that havent)?

And whats our quota for this month if we do the upgrade? eg, 200 gb or 150gb for the 39$ red package?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I think what you're asking is if we'd be upgrading the grandfathered packages with new quotas? If so, then no probably not - it would be sort of pointless since the new packages would have the same/higher quotas and faster speeds for the same price.

As for this month, if you change then it's the new quota.