Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:22
reply to antone

Re: Start Communications - New Packages

said by antone:

would I be able to use a Motorola SB6141 modem?

I don't believe that is approved for either network. The current approved modems for the network in your area are listed at www.start.ca/services/highspeed

lowcaps

@rogers.com
reply to rocca

it's STARTing to look alot like ROBBERS....

antone

join:2013-01-10
East York, ON
reply to rocca

ok, i read from Teksavvy users that although it's not listed as supported they were able to call customer service to activate it by saying it was actually an SB6121 and just providing the MAC address and it worked...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to lowcaps

Happy to increase the caps once we see more sustainable Capacity RaTes Come out. Until then we're double the caps for $10-$20/mo less.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to antone

said by antone:

call customer service to activate it by saying it was actually an SB6121 and just providing the MAC address

Not something I can/would recommend. Once connected to the CMTS the model/version is visible, any future technical problems and I guarantee the response from Red will be "not supported modem, ticket cancelled". If you want a good experience, stick with a supported modem.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to rocca

I am Interested possibly Rocca nice to see new Speeds But I only want 25/2 Internet, But i need more than 150 gigs usage like 350 would be Ideal? Any Usage blocks offered ? or Off peak Unlimited etc..? trying to find a way to square it off against similar packages from other providers as is its just not competitive to my needs
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by morisato:

I am Interested possibly Rocca nice to see new Speeds But I only want 25/2 Internet, But i need more than 150 gigs usage like 350 would be Ideal? Any Usage blocks offered ?

The capacity is the big factor in pricing. You could sort of consider the steps between tiers though like 100GB usage packs though -- and you get a bonus of faster speed at no extra charge.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Bah, Thats the Rub! I need Capacity Not speed, sure more speed is nice but i purposely download only in the wee hours of the morning to be nice to my isps bottom line... except for the occasional usage. all heavy downloads after 2am ugh.. Making the choice between Cable and DSL, Unlimited or Capped @ a level i could care less about. Sigh. So why offer 25/2 at all?> if capacity is the Cost why not just offer the 6 meg Unlimited and a 45/4 - 150 gigs $40 , 250 $50 350 $60? And Not bother with the other plans? Why tie usage to the higher speeds? perhaps someone wants a faster connection but doesn;t use it much ugh.
--

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

There still is a cost difference between tiers, but the capacity is definitely the elephant in the room. Once the CRTC ruling comes out, if it's favourable we'll have some more exciting options. I don't think it will be much more than a month now.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

So maybe i Should Just Sit tight for a month or 2 and then make my move ugh, I hope its favorable i am really getting tired of paying 80 dollars for internet a month...
--

Satya

join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to rocca

I am on distributel 28/1 plan and i easily hit 500GB a month atleast. With a 55 inch 3D tv linked to the network via DLNA, watching all those 1080p HD movies on netflix and cinemanow etc uses up bandwidth. Yes the speeds are a nice increase but give me 28/1 any day unlimited over 45/4 for say 400GB That said i would not mind paying like 60 bucks a month for 45/4 unlimited but START is hard done by the capacity rates and even if there is any improvement in the CRTC decision, I don't think START will ever offer unlimited so I will take the slower download and wait a few minutes rather than download at 2 AM at night

If you look at distirbutel 28/1 is 49.95 a month too and start offers the 35/3 for the same price with 250GB a month. Good enuff for moderate users but for heavy users the extra 7Mbps like 800KB/sec is no big deal, unless you need the upload speed and upload a lot of stuff then I can understand otherwise rather take the 28/1 plan for pure downloading

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

ya i am looking at that and i really don;t mind paying a year in advance i might just Go with Acanac but again for the Moment i will await the capacity rates. and see where they take me.
--

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Rocca, why don't you guys offer usage blocks like Bell? A lot of Teksavvy users want to jump ship, but it seems they won't do so unless there are changes to the overusage charges. I think usage blocks would be good. No? 50 cents per GB is too much when Bell's 40GB usage block is like $5 or $10.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by geokilla:

Rocca, why don't you guys offer usage blocks like Bell? A lot of Teksavvy users want to jump ship, but it seems they won't do so unless there are changes to the overusage charges. I think usage blocks would be good. No? 50 cents per GB is too much when Bell's 40GB usage block is like $5 or $10.

Rumour has it that the CRTC decision should be out before end of February. Once we see what we have to work with then we'll likely have some more options such as usage blocks.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by rocca:

said by geokilla:

Rumour has it that the CRTC decision should be out before end of February. Once we see what we have to work with then we'll likely have some more options such as usage blocks.

But rumours are rumours... Wasn't there also rumours that a decision would be out before the world ended in 2012...?

Sometimes... this country.... ugh. Slowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by geokilla:

Wasn't there also rumours that a decision would be out before the world ended in 2012...?

Maybe that was plan 'a', ie hope the world ended - would have saved a lot of work.

coldmantis

join:2005-02-04
reply to rocca

aww, I was hoping to use my new 45/4 from 28/1 but I remoted in and the speeds look more like 35/3. called start and they submited it as 45/4 but rogers only did 35/3 for me now I have to wait another 2 days.... damn rogers.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
reply to rocca

I do hope you're keeping an eye on the looming migration from Teksavvy, which could result in the need for capacity upgrades over a very short period of time..

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada

They already upgraded their capacity couple days ago.

... also, " we " were told that new uplinks will be added as well some time soon.

tatty

join:2002-02-23
North York, ON
reply to rocca

Just a question that's not related to the new speeds.
If I move from a cogeco area to a new place in the red zone, do I still need to pay the $50 fee? It's a new condo without any existing services.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Yes, sorry but it'd be a new install.

DrugTito

canada

What if we move from one apt to other apt in the same building?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by DrugTito:

What if we move from one apt to other apt in the same building?

Still a new installation. Transfers only apply when moving from an active cable service from one provider to another at the same location.

dadyoh

reply to rocca

Hey rocca, I just talked to Start for the first time today and was impressed so for with how fast someone answered my call. I am using Rogers ultimate right now. I don't necessarily need the speed but still need some as we are gamers and are considering Netfilix, unlimited usage would have been nice. Was gonna go with Teksavvy till I saw you have faster speeds. The guy I talked to said they are not capping a max overusage with a max charge it is basically $.50/gig over no matter how high. Would you consider waiting to switch over and staying with Rogers till the CRTC ruling comes out?
By the way as others have stated thanks for all your info.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Thanks for the feedback and happy to help.

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your question though, ie "Would you consider waiting to switch over and staying with Rogers till the CRTC?"

Thanks.

capacitor

@cgocable.net
reply to rocca

Rocca, what is your stance on this artice.

»It's Time to Stop Buying the Capacity Crisis Myth

You say you lowered the caps because of capacity concerns. The article says there can never be capacity problems, so what was your reasoning?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

While there is a significant difference between wireless networks (which the article references) and wired networks, I agree there is certainly no 'shortage of capacity', but that said capacity definitely does have a real cost. The problem (and reason we had to lower our caps) is because the regulated price that we are forced to pay for capacity is exorbitant and doesn't reflect the actual underlying cost of providing that capacity. With our original caps we had only expected we'd have to eat those unsustainable capacity rates for a short period of time, but 10 months later we're still waiting for a decision. Once the capacity rate issue is fixed then we can re-evaluate the packages we're able to provide, their caps and pricing. Hope that helps answer your question? Thanks.

tallen77

@info.net

Hi Rocca,

I know you probably haven't heard, but I was wondering if you know when Cogeco plans to upgrade the Sarnia area so we can take advantage of the higher speeds?

Thanks!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Don't have details on that one yet.

BThunderW

join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON
reply to rocca