Premium Member

to tatty

Re: Start Communications - New Packages

Yes, sorry but it'd be a new install.

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito

What if we move from one apt to other apt in the same building?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by DrugTito:

What if we move from one apt to other apt in the same building?

Still a new installation. Transfers only apply when moving from an active cable service from one provider to another at the same location.
dadyoh

dadyoh to rocca

to rocca
Hey rocca, I just talked to Start for the first time today and was impressed so for with how fast someone answered my call. I am using Rogers ultimate right now. I don't necessarily need the speed but still need some as we are gamers and are considering Netfilix, unlimited usage would have been nice. Was gonna go with Teksavvy till I saw you have faster speeds. The guy I talked to said they are not capping a max overusage with a max charge it is basically $.50/gig over no matter how high. Would you consider waiting to switch over and staying with Rogers till the CRTC ruling comes out?
By the way as others have stated thanks for all your info.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback and happy to help.

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your question though, ie "Would you consider waiting to switch over and staying with Rogers till the CRTC?"

Thanks.

capacitor
@cgocable.net

capacitor to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Rocca, what is your stance on this artice.

»It's Time to Stop Buying the Capacity Crisis Myth [80] comments

You say you lowered the caps because of capacity concerns. The article says there can never be capacity problems, so what was your reasoning?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

While there is a significant difference between wireless networks (which the article references) and wired networks, I agree there is certainly no 'shortage of capacity', but that said capacity definitely does have a real cost. The problem (and reason we had to lower our caps) is because the regulated price that we are forced to pay for capacity is exorbitant and doesn't reflect the actual underlying cost of providing that capacity. With our original caps we had only expected we'd have to eat those unsustainable capacity rates for a short period of time, but 10 months later we're still waiting for a decision. Once the capacity rate issue is fixed then we can re-evaluate the packages we're able to provide, their caps and pricing. Hope that helps answer your question? Thanks.

tallen77
@info.net

tallen77

Anon

Hi Rocca,

I know you probably haven't heard, but I was wondering if you know when Cogeco plans to upgrade the Sarnia area so we can take advantage of the higher speeds?

Thanks!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Don't have details on that one yet.

BThunderW
join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON

BThunderW to rocca

to rocca

Woo! Go Start! Love it!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

While there is a significant difference between wireless networks (which the article references) and wired networks, I agree there is certainly no 'shortage of capacity', but that said capacity definitely does have a real cost. The problem (and reason we had to lower our caps) is because the regulated price that we are forced to pay for capacity is exorbitant and doesn't reflect the actual underlying cost of providing that capacity. With our original caps we had only expected we'd have to eat those unsustainable capacity rates for a short period of time, but 10 months later we're still waiting for a decision. Once the capacity rate issue is fixed then we can re-evaluate the packages we're able to provide, their caps and pricing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a) we're going to get a decision shortly, and b) it will not be to your liking.

I still think there is an uphill battle going on here, with a good bit of time before that hill levels off into something akin to a playing field.

At least another year of these obscene rates... I could be wrong.

Mike
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to rocca

to rocca
i just laugh every time i see caps and faster speed thats more expensive then what i have that is unlimited and higher capped
you all realize that true 4 megabit net will do 1200 gb of capcity?

now compare that to ever package that has a cap.

its like saying i have 12 glass of water a month i can drink and the guy brings them at 4 miles an hour to me
OR i can have 3 glasses of water at warp speed a month
see how useful it really is?
dadyoh

dadyoh to BThunderW

to BThunderW
Wow thats great speed. I am currently on rogers ultimate getting 73Mb/s not 150Mb/s like they claim. I assume you are on the 44Mb/s plan in Kitchener? That's sweet.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0

said by dadyoh:

Wow thats great speed. I am currently on rogers ultimate getting 73Mb/s not 150Mb/s like they claim. I assume you are on the 44Mb/s plan in Kitchener? That's sweet.

what cap have YOU?
i can do 1600 gb in a month....

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Do you know if the foreseeable future holds anything above 2mbps upload on Cogeco? I mean, I love the higher download speed for the pro package, but without a little more upload to go with it I can't make a good case for the additional costs. Not to my wife anyway.

Mike

BThunderW
join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON

BThunderW to dadyoh

to dadyoh
I'm on the Pro Plan 45/4. This was also run with tons of active machines on the network so the speed is probably a bit better.
dadyoh

dadyoh to funny0

to funny0
Wow who is that with "Start"? I get 250gb but pay for an extra 80gb, so 330 total then $.50/gb after.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
At least one person has reported (on the Start "invisible" forum) seeing four upstream channels when looking at their modem stats. This indicates (to me) that Cogeco is getting ready (at some point in the near future hopefully) to introduce faster upload speeds.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Rocca, why don't you guys offer usage blocks like Bell? A lot of Teksavvy users want to jump ship, but it seems they won't do so unless there are changes to the overusage charges. I think usage blocks would be good. No? 50 cents per GB is too much when Bell's 40GB usage block is like $5 or $10.

Oh, like you mean their UBB ?

Yes, at a fair rate per GB, there would BE no laments about UBB.

Unforunately, the unbridled greed of BH#$ELL and the other big guys ruined the public's interpretation of a once reasonable term.
coldmantis
join:2005-02-04

coldmantis to rocca

to rocca

It's nice to be on par with rogers this test is done on a wifi connection. For some reason I noticed that my pings are usually 0ms on wired connections

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

Rocca,

With Cogeco about to up their 55 package to 60, will you be following suit?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Do you know if the foreseeable future holds anything above 2mbps upload on Cogeco?

Yes it does, that's all I can say for now.
rocca

rocca to coaxguy

Premium Member

to coaxguy
said by coaxguy:

Rocca,

With Cogeco about to up their 55 package to 60, will you be following suit?

Yes, just waiting for confirmation on the timing.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by dillyhammer:

Do you know if the foreseeable future holds anything above 2mbps upload on Cogeco?

Yes it does, that's all I can say for now.

Excellent. I snuck in under the wire and grabbed your 30/2 package a day or two before it was deprecated. I think I'll just stay grampa'd in on that until something changes with the uploads. 30/2 is pretty darn snappy. But 60/4 is REALLY appealing. Maybe we'll get lucky with the CRTC coming to their senses on capacity charges and we'll get an unlimited option. I'd be down for some of that.

Mike

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

Maybe we'll get lucky with the CRTC coming to their senses on capacity charges and we'll get an unlimited option. I'd be down for some of that.

Here here to that.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

[....I snuck in under the wire and grabbed your 30/2 package a day or two before it was deprecated.

I think I'll just stay grampa'd in on that until something changes with the uploads.

30/2 is pretty darn snappy....

I offer my sincere Congrats on your becoming a Grandpa !

And yes, 30/2 is rather BRISK.

So does this mean that you lucked out and got 30/2/400 for the old price ?

Oddly enough (from SOME folks' perspectives), I don't think I'm anywhere NEAR the cap on my Gramp'd 20/1.5/300 service, so am actually considering START's latest 20/1.5/150 plan, for ten bucks LESS per month than the ($50 net net) that I pay now.

And if I decide later that the 150 cap is too tight, I could still move back up to their now new 30/2/250 plan for the currently posted same price as what I had already been paying for their Gramp'd 20/1.5/300 tier, which would itself be not a bad tradeoff either for some folks - i.e. the faster speed for the 50 less GB.

BTW, unless there's been a recent change to this tier, the open rate for GOUGEco's 30/2/175 retail service remains at $70 net, including a modem, which still is $15 net more than START's new 30/2/250 with a modem added on, AND with 75 less GB of monthly usage, and a stiffer UBB.

Another nice thing, from a tech PoV, is that I do not need to change modems, as my D3 rental is supported by all of these plans.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to rocca

to rocca
I am in the Red territory. If I see on my cable modem signal status page only [3] QPSK and [5] 16QAM for Upstream Modulation (in all 4 channels) will I be able to get the 45/4 speeds? Downstream is QAM256 (4 channels). The modem is SB6120 1.0.6.1.

It seems Rogers allows two public IPs per customer. Will I be able to get two IPs with Start?

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

You will. (Both Speeds + IPs) if there is no local node congestion

16QAM is modulation for my modem \ connections as well.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by dillyhammer:

Maybe we'll get lucky with the CRTC coming to their senses on capacity charges and we'll get an unlimited option. I'd be down for some of that.

Here here to that.

With some creative accounting and activity/cost restructuring to optimize admissible charges/costs, I would not be surprised if phase-II rates for at least Bell/Rogers/Videotron and maybe Cogeco still ended over $10k/Gbps.

If they cost lots of internal stuff as-new, they may even be able to crank it to $20k/Gbps.

So I won't be holding my breath.

rogerstv
@teksavvy.com

rogerstv

Anon

I was about to switch from Teksavvy DSL for Start cable until they lowered the caps, I missed out on the 300gb plan so now I might go to distrubutel since I hover around 260gb a month due to netflix.

Cannot recall if Distributel is on aggregate or not but it may be the only safe option until I see what the market does.