Search similar:

uniqs

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to rocca

to rocca

Re: Start Communications - New Packages

Well I may just got with Acanac even with their bad reviews. Possibly teksavvy for unlimited... I was hoping for Cable 300gb from you guys but I am a lil bit dispointed about this.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by tristen1230:

Well I may just got with Acanac even with their bad reviews. Possibly teksavvy for unlimited... I was hoping for Cable 300gb from you guys but I am a lil bit dispointed about this.

We have options if you need 300GB or more, but certainly I encourage you to find the right provider for the service you need. We're the only provider up on the aggregated platform which means we're also the only ones that have to pay for capacity, and it's at rates that aren't sustainable. Once the review decision comes out from the CRTC, if it's favourable then I expect that we'll add more usage back to the new speed packages.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230

Well I may do DSL. Just maybe but the 28 MbPS through Acanac and unlimited is a little tempting. Will there be anymore of these changes if I were to choose you. Also in the future would you guys offer unlimited. Is there any reason you do not become not aggregated.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to TomTor3

Premium Member

to TomTor3
said by TomTor3 :

That's not true. D2 can support up to 30Mbps upstream. I know that in Canada 2Mbps upstream speed sounds incredible, but those kind of speeds were common in Europe 5 years ago using D2 technology. Can you guys double-check it? I know Rogers has this kind of ridiculous requirements (like requiring D3 modems in order to increase monthly cap form 60GB to 80GB) but does Start.ca really have to do that too?

D2 modems can do more than 2mbit/s upload, certainly, but I don't think they can do 30mbit/s. I think the total capacity of an upload channel is around 30mbit, yes, but there is some other limiting factor that means real world home use modems can't. A moot point of course. D2 modems are certainly technically capable of 25/2, but probably not technically capable of 35/3, certainly not capable of 45/4.

All indications are that Rogers has decided not to allow it anyway. And this is different from previous Rogers decisions about D2 modems.. Right now TPIA companies can subscribe 32/1 on D2 modems if they want to, even though the guidance is that D3 should be required on all accounts over 15mbit/s speed.

My understanding is that Start has a portal into Rogers system, and Rogers simply automatically rejects orders when the parameters don't match.

There is still a chance that non-aggregated TPIAs might allow 25/2 on D2 modems, if they get access to the speed before being forced to aggregated later this year. A very slim chance though. And, if it happens, it won't last long. Rogers has announced that come April they will only accept D2 modems on 6mbit/s service.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to tristen1230

Premium Member

to tristen1230
said by tristen1230:

Will there be anymore of these changes if I were to choose you. Also in the future would you guys offer unlimited. Is there any reason you do not become not aggregated.

We grandfathered all our existing customers, ie there were no forced changes on any of our customers. Unlimited will 100% depend on what the CRTC rules for capacity rates. As for becoming 'not aggregated', it's the other direction - ie the existing disaggregated TPIA providers will soon be coming to the aggregated platform (and subjected to the same rates we are) as mandated by the CRTC.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

No, it's definitely not unlimited. We do track usage and people that are greatly abusing their quota get a call. Once the automated correlation piece is done (waiting on Rogers to finish a piece) then we'll be able to post it on the usage tracker much more easily. Most people have been respectful of their limits and we haven't had to make too many calls or throttle them down.

I can't help going back to the question of off-peak usage. The cost of off peak usage is basically zero, and reflecting that back to customers would be huge.

Of course Rogers tool would have to be compatible with that type of usage tracking too..
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Teddy Boom:

I can't help going back to the question of off-peak usage. The cost of off peak usage is basically zero, and reflecting that back to customers would be huge.

Rocca has said a few times that is factored in already. If they were to do "free off-peak", the caps for the metered periods would be lower than the current caps.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Doing so at the same price would mean reducing the on-peak total though because there is an implication that some of the usage will be used off-peak. The marketing/explanation to the average consumer is pretty confusing, ie 100GB on-peak, unlimited off-peak vs 250GB is much easier to visualize the later. We're hoping that the final capacity rates make it moot and we can have an unlimited package and make it simple, if that doesn't come along soon then we'll likely figure out some sort of off-peak option you can add to your account.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to rocca

to rocca
So does off peak hours don'ct count like Teksavvy?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Thanks rocca! I was hesitant, because I know you've covered it before. But, I feel strongly about it.

From my perspective it isn't that hard to explain to customers. Everybody understands rushhour. As with the politically difficult on-peak off-peak electrical billing, everybody should be confronted with the true cost of what they are doing.

Try explaining that you really do want a D3 modem for Standard because you'll get a speed upgrade in two weeks if you ask for it, but not on Teksavvy for two more months after that, and only if the CRTC decides Teksavvy (or Acanac who is really Distributel) should get it. but all of that only until November because then everybody is on the same system regardless. Which I do for every most customers looking at Standard/Express, which is pretty much everybody. ARGH!!!
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to tristen1230

Premium Member

to tristen1230
said by tristen1230:

So does off peak hours don'ct count like Teksavvy?

For cable internet, off peak hours do count at Teksavvy. See this for more information on how it actually works there:
»Re: [Cable] Use all you want time.

Actually, you should probably read that entire thread:
»[Cable] Use all you want time..
jagerman
join:2011-01-10
Fredericton, NB

jagerman to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

The marketing/explanation to the average consumer is pretty confusing, ie 100GB on-peak, unlimited off-peak vs 250GB is much easier to visualize the later. We're hoping that the final capacity rates make it moot and we can have an unlimited package and make it simple, if that doesn't come along soon then we'll likely figure out some sort of off-peak option you can add to your account.

I get the confusion, but couldn't you hide that under a sort of "advanced" plan for people who aren't confused by it? I rather like the ability of more finely tuned plans. You could, for instance, offer something like this for Cogeco-land (numbers vaguely based off the new pricing scheme in the original post):

1) Choose a standard package:
4/.6 w/ 100GB $29.95
20/1.5 w/ 150GB $39.95
30/2 w/ 250GB $49.95
55/2 w/ 350GB $79.95

2) Or build a custom package:
a) Choose your speed:
4/.6 [starting at $25.95]
20/1.5 [starting at $32.95]
30/2 [starting at $39.95]
55/2 [starting at $54.95]

b) Choose your monthly traffic:
50GB [included]
100GB [+$4]
150GB [+$7]
250GB [+$10]
350GB [+$15]
Unlimited [+$14, only available with 4/.6 plan]

c) Choose your extras:
Unlimited off-peak use (12pm-8am) [+$10]

I just sort of guessed at numbers to make the "custom" plans add up to the standard plans; obviously you'd need to figure out the appropriate price points.

Just a thought.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

jagerman, I totally agree with you about the general principal, but...
said by jagerman:

b) Choose your monthly traffic:
50GB [included]
100GB [+$4]
150GB [+$7]
250GB [+$10]
350GB [+$15]
Unlimited [+$14, only available with 4/.6 plan]

The costs of on-peak usage are much much higher than you are allowing for. If we are going to win this point, we have to be realistic
jagerman
join:2011-01-10
Fredericton, NB

jagerman

said by Teddy Boom:

The costs of on-peak usage are much much higher than you are allowing for. If we are going to win this point, we have to be realistic

My main point was to propose a menu for different dimensions of use, not to suggest prices. I will point out, however, that I was careful to make all of those above prices agree with the new Cogeco plans.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to jagerman

Premium Member

to jagerman
It's likely that 'option c' will be the approach we take, it's easy to explain still and gives people the ability to accomplish the unlimited off peak that they are looking for.
cynic10
join:2011-02-05

cynic10 to rocca

to rocca
This is disappointing. I signed up with them recently and it was 300GB cap at 39.95...now it's down to half?...

Looks like I might have to look elsewhere and cancel.
Anybody have any recommendations?
chromius
join:2012-10-13

chromius to rocca

to rocca
I just signed up today because I've been waiting for higher upload speeds, so this is great!

One question though is that if I'm simply transferring my service and reusing my existing cable modem why did I need to specify an appointment time for a tech to come? Should this not just be a software switch on the day my other service ends?

Thanks!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to cynic10

Premium Member

to cynic10
We are still honoring all the previous cable packages for current customers.
rocca

rocca to chromius

Premium Member

to chromius
Did you signup as a new install or a transfer? If you'd like me to check just PM me your details. Thanks.
nitric
join:2012-01-29

nitric

Question about your overages -- is there a limit or could I get charged an additional $200 if I went 100GB over one month?

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to cynic10

to cynic10
said by cynic10:

This is disappointing. I signed up with them recently and it was 300GB cap at 39.95...now it's down to half?...

Yes, lowering of usage caps sucks. But your current plan has not changed. It has been Grandfathered; same speeds, same usage, same price.

And which plan was 300GB/39.95? Rogers? Cogeco?

edit: Sorry Rocca... I was way too slow composing my message...
chromius

chromius to rocca

to rocca
I signed up as a transfer using the online signup page. It asks to choose install dates and times for the tech to arrive, but maybe those don't actually mean anything with a transfer?

It's not a huge deal, was just wondering if I'm actually going to have to sit around and wait for someone even though there's really nothing for them to do.

Start Laurie
Premium Member
join:2011-09-09
London, ON

Start Laurie

Premium Member

It will ask you dates but they won't need to come out as it's a transfer, so you don't need to wait around.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to nitric

Premium Member

to nitric
said by nitric:

Question about your overages -- is there a limit or could I get charged an additional $200 if I went 100GB over one month?

There are no limits but it'd be $50 not $200 in the example.
nitric

nitric

said by rocca:

said by nitric:

There are no limits but it'd be $50 not $200 in the example.

Yes, it would seem my math was a bit off! Haha!

Do you have a tracking system that I can log into and check how much bandwidth I'd used during a billing period?
khronlk
join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON

khronlk to rocca

to rocca
Called in around 3pm today to get the change, tech said it might be a day or 2. Modem just rebooted and tried the speed test out:

Upload seems slightly less then 1.5mb, but the download is right on for my DOC2 modem. I will just have to monitor my usage a bit more carefully now though, I have gone over 150gb before but on average I don't. I think I can sacrifice 50gb for 8mb more speed and a bit more on the upload
chromius

chromius to Start Laurie

to Start Laurie
Perfect, Thanks!
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to nitric

to nitric
said by nitric:

Do you have a tracking system that I can log into and check how much bandwidth I'd used during a billing period?

Yes, the link is - »www.start.ca/support/usage
You don't have to login. The link is located under Quick Links on right page of main page.
nitric

nitric

said by Guru:

said by nitric:

Yes, the link is - »www.start.ca/support/usage
You don't have to login. The link is located under Quick Links on right page of main page.

Thanks!

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis to rocca

to rocca
I'm with TSI 28/1 300 package and their TekTalk. Can I switch just my cable to Start for the higher speeds and keep Tektalk or are they interdependent?