k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to tristen1230

Re: Start Communications - New Packages

said by tristen1230:

So does off peak hours don'ct count like Teksavvy?

For cable internet, off peak hours do count at Teksavvy. See this for more information on how it actually works there:
»Re: [Cable] Use all you want time.

Actually, you should probably read that entire thread:
»[Cable] Use all you want time..
--
electronicsguru.ca

jagerman

join:2011-01-10
Kingston, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

The marketing/explanation to the average consumer is pretty confusing, ie 100GB on-peak, unlimited off-peak vs 250GB is much easier to visualize the later. We're hoping that the final capacity rates make it moot and we can have an unlimited package and make it simple, if that doesn't come along soon then we'll likely figure out some sort of off-peak option you can add to your account.

I get the confusion, but couldn't you hide that under a sort of "advanced" plan for people who aren't confused by it? I rather like the ability of more finely tuned plans. You could, for instance, offer something like this for Cogeco-land (numbers vaguely based off the new pricing scheme in the original post):

1) Choose a standard package:
4/.6 w/ 100GB $29.95
20/1.5 w/ 150GB $39.95
30/2 w/ 250GB $49.95
55/2 w/ 350GB $79.95

2) Or build a custom package:
a) Choose your speed:
4/.6 [starting at $25.95]
20/1.5 [starting at $32.95]
30/2 [starting at $39.95]
55/2 [starting at $54.95]

b) Choose your monthly traffic:
50GB [included]
100GB [+$4]
150GB [+$7]
250GB [+$10]
350GB [+$15]
Unlimited [+$14, only available with 4/.6 plan]

c) Choose your extras:
Unlimited off-peak use (12pm-8am) [+$10]

I just sort of guessed at numbers to make the "custom" plans add up to the standard plans; obviously you'd need to figure out the appropriate price points.

Just a thought.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
jagerman, I totally agree with you about the general principal, but...
said by jagerman:

b) Choose your monthly traffic:
50GB [included]
100GB [+$4]
150GB [+$7]
250GB [+$10]
350GB [+$15]
Unlimited [+$14, only available with 4/.6 plan]

The costs of on-peak usage are much much higher than you are allowing for. If we are going to win this point, we have to be realistic
--
electronicsguru.ca

jagerman

join:2011-01-10
Kingston, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by Teddy Boom:

The costs of on-peak usage are much much higher than you are allowing for. If we are going to win this point, we have to be realistic

My main point was to propose a menu for different dimensions of use, not to suggest prices. I will point out, however, that I was careful to make all of those above prices agree with the new Cogeco plans.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to jagerman
It's likely that 'option c' will be the approach we take, it's easy to explain still and gives people the ability to accomplish the unlimited off peak that they are looking for.

cynic10

join:2011-02-05
reply to rocca
This is disappointing. I signed up with them recently and it was 300GB cap at 39.95...now it's down to half?...

Looks like I might have to look elsewhere and cancel.
Anybody have any recommendations?

chromius

join:2012-10-13
reply to rocca
I just signed up today because I've been waiting for higher upload speeds, so this is great!

One question though is that if I'm simply transferring my service and reusing my existing cable modem why did I need to specify an appointment time for a tech to come? Should this not just be a software switch on the day my other service ends?

Thanks!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to cynic10
We are still honoring all the previous cable packages for current customers.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to chromius
Did you signup as a new install or a transfer? If you'd like me to check just PM me your details. Thanks.

nitric

join:2012-01-29
Question about your overages -- is there a limit or could I get charged an additional $200 if I went 100GB over one month?

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to cynic10
said by cynic10:

This is disappointing. I signed up with them recently and it was 300GB cap at 39.95...now it's down to half?...

Yes, lowering of usage caps sucks. But your current plan has not changed. It has been Grandfathered; same speeds, same usage, same price.

And which plan was 300GB/39.95? Rogers? Cogeco?

edit: Sorry Rocca... I was way too slow composing my message...

chromius

reply to rocca
I signed up as a transfer using the online signup page. It asks to choose install dates and times for the tech to arrive, but maybe those don't actually mean anything with a transfer?

It's not a huge deal, was just wondering if I'm actually going to have to sit around and wait for someone even though there's really nothing for them to do.

Start Laurie
Premium
join:2011-09-09
London, ON
kudos:1
It will ask you dates but they won't need to come out as it's a transfer, so you don't need to wait around.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to nitric
said by nitric:

Question about your overages -- is there a limit or could I get charged an additional $200 if I went 100GB over one month?

There are no limits but it'd be $50 not $200 in the example.

nitric

said by rocca:

said by nitric:

There are no limits but it'd be $50 not $200 in the example.

Yes, it would seem my math was a bit off! Haha!

Do you have a tracking system that I can log into and check how much bandwidth I'd used during a billing period?

khronlk

join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca
Called in around 3pm today to get the change, tech said it might be a day or 2. Modem just rebooted and tried the speed test out:

Upload seems slightly less then 1.5mb, but the download is right on for my DOC2 modem. I will just have to monitor my usage a bit more carefully now though, I have gone over 150gb before but on average I don't. I think I can sacrifice 50gb for 8mb more speed and a bit more on the upload

chromius

reply to Start Laurie
Perfect, Thanks!

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to nitric
said by nitric:

Do you have a tracking system that I can log into and check how much bandwidth I'd used during a billing period?

Yes, the link is - »www.start.ca/support/usage
You don't have to login. The link is located under Quick Links on right page of main page.

nitric

said by Guru:

said by nitric:

You don't have to login. The link is located under Quick Links on right page of main page.

Thanks!

XNemesis

join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON
reply to rocca
I'm with TSI 28/1 300 package and their TekTalk. Can I switch just my cable to Start for the higher speeds and keep Tektalk or are they interdependent?

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to tristen1230
oh if strat does that I'll switch to them.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

It's likely that 'option c' will be the approach we take, it's easy to explain still and gives people the ability to accomplish the unlimited off peak that they are looking for.

I do like Option "C"

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to tristen1230
said by tristen1230:

Well I may just got with Acanac even with their bad reviews. Possibly teksavvy for unlimited... I was hoping for Cable 300gb from you guys but I am a lil bit dispointed about this.

Since you're in Belleville you will not be able to get cable from anyone else besides Cogeco and Start since neither TekSavvy or Acanac offer cable service in Bellville.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to khronlk
said by khronlk:

Upload seems slightly less then 1.5mb, but the download is right on for my DOC2 modem.

If you're on D2 area then the package will be 16/1, which looks like what you have. The 20/1.5 is a D3 area package only.

said by khronlk:

I think I can sacrifice 50gb for 8mb more speed and a bit more on the upload

Excellent. That was certainly what we were hoping for, ie that most of the people aren't topping out their cap so for many they are able to get higher speeds for the same price.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to XNemesis
said by XNemesis:

I'm with TSI 28/1 300 package and their TekTalk. Can I switch just my cable to Start for the higher speeds and keep Tektalk or are they interdependent?

They are independent services, all you need for TekTalk to work is an active internet connection since it's VoIP.

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
reply to JCohen
I called Acanac and they said they do. Also checked online.

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON
reply to rocca
Hi rocca,

I am on Standard Package in Red area. Can I switch to new speed pkg 20/2 yet still use my D2 modem? I accept the new lower cap of 150 GB per month.

I pose this question because you seem to accept D2 modem of a member named khronlk in Sarnia ON when you replied to his post.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Guru
said by Guru:

said by nitric:

Not currently available in Rogers territory, though.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Hi rocca,

I am on Standard Package in Red area. Can I switch to new speed pkg 20/2 yet still use my D2 modem? I accept the new lower cap of 150 GB per month.

You can't get any of the new speeds without upgrading your modem due to restrictions imposed on Start by Rogers.

said by taytong888:

I pose this question because you seem to accept D2 modem of a member named khronlk in Sarnia ON when you replied to his post.

In the Cogeco areas they have two plans for the standard cable, one for Docsis 2 with speeds that are 16/1 and one for Docsis 3 with speeds that are 20/1.5.

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON
reply to rocca
I pitty anyone who got a docsis 2 modem just to save a few bucks :P