TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to tristen1230

Premium Member

to tristen1230

Re: Start Communications - New Packages

oh if strat does that I'll switch to them.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

It's likely that 'option c' will be the approach we take, it's easy to explain still and gives people the ability to accomplish the unlimited off peak that they are looking for.

I do like Option "C"

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to tristen1230

Premium Member

to tristen1230
said by tristen1230:

Well I may just got with Acanac even with their bad reviews. Possibly teksavvy for unlimited... I was hoping for Cable 300gb from you guys but I am a lil bit dispointed about this.

Since you're in Belleville you will not be able to get cable from anyone else besides Cogeco and Start since neither TekSavvy or Acanac offer cable service in Bellville.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to khronlk

Premium Member

to khronlk
said by khronlk:

Upload seems slightly less then 1.5mb, but the download is right on for my DOC2 modem.

If you're on D2 area then the package will be 16/1, which looks like what you have. The 20/1.5 is a D3 area package only.
said by khronlk:

I think I can sacrifice 50gb for 8mb more speed and a bit more on the upload

Excellent. That was certainly what we were hoping for, ie that most of the people aren't topping out their cap so for many they are able to get higher speeds for the same price.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to XNemesis

Premium Member

to XNemesis
said by XNemesis:

I'm with TSI 28/1 300 package and their TekTalk. Can I switch just my cable to Start for the higher speeds and keep Tektalk or are they interdependent?

They are independent services, all you need for TekTalk to work is an active internet connection since it's VoIP.

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to JC_

to JC_
I called Acanac and they said they do. Also checked online.
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888 to rocca

to rocca
Hi rocca,

I am on Standard Package in Red area. Can I switch to new speed pkg 20/2 yet still use my D2 modem? I accept the new lower cap of 150 GB per month.

I pose this question because you seem to accept D2 modem of a member named khronlk in Sarnia ON when you replied to his post.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Guru

to Guru
said by Guru:

said by nitric:

Do you have a tracking system that I can log into and check how much bandwidth I'd used during a billing period?

Yes, the link is - »www.start.ca/support/usage
You don't have to login. The link is located under Quick Links on right page of main page.

Not currently available in Rogers territory, though.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to taytong888

Premium Member

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Hi rocca,

I am on Standard Package in Red area. Can I switch to new speed pkg 20/2 yet still use my D2 modem? I accept the new lower cap of 150 GB per month.

You can't get any of the new speeds without upgrading your modem due to restrictions imposed on Start by Rogers.
said by taytong888:

I pose this question because you seem to accept D2 modem of a member named khronlk in Sarnia ON when you replied to his post.

In the Cogeco areas they have two plans for the standard cable, one for Docsis 2 with speeds that are 16/1 and one for Docsis 3 with speeds that are 20/1.5.
useless2764
join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

useless2764 to rocca

to rocca
I pitty anyone who got a docsis 2 modem just to save a few bucks :P

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by useless2764:

I've been explaining the changes in great detail to all of my customers for months. You'd be amazed how many say "we don't care about upload speed, let's save the money".

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to useless2764

Premium Member

to useless2764
said by useless2764:

I myself still have an SB5100 but that's only because I've had it for years.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

The new packages are now available »www.start.ca/services/highspeed

Existing customers are grandfathered on their previous packages, ie same speed, cap and price that they signed up for.

Of course anyone is welcome to change should the new package be a better fit.

No cost to change, other than [to] be aware that the D2 modems are now only accepted on the Basic package....

OK, I see it looks like some speed tiers are changed, the names of some tiers have been shuffled/shifted, and a few tiers seem to be discontinued altogether.

Surely that's already been said - forgive me, but I have not read past the first few posts yet.

MY main question for now (apologies, if already answered) is :

If a person who is 'Grandfathered' chooses to change to another tier/plan, and then wants to switch back, would they get a yea or a nay to doing so ?

If we were to review my usage since I STARTED with START, my feeling is that it might actually make sense for me to choose one of the newer plans, but naturally I would need to know the consequences in advance.

Also, is the cost of extra/excess GBs of usage the same or different than before these changes ?
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by tristen1230:

Well I may just got with Acanac even with their bad reviews. Possibly teksavvy for unlimited... I was hoping for Cable 300gb from you guys but I am a lil bit dispointed about this.

Since you're in Belleville, you will not be able to get cable from anyone else besides Cogeco and Start, since neither TekSavvy or Acanac offer cable service in Bellville.

And for any folks who do not understand WHY that is, it's because those two providers are NOT using Cogeco's AGGREGATED POI (yet).

And it applies to a lot of other small to mid-sized communities served by Cogeco (and occasionally Rogers) too.

START became a 'ray of light at the end of the tunnel' for many of us.

So BTW we should not get TOO grumpy that they are trying to break even.

Start Laurie
Premium Member
join:2011-09-09
London, ON

Start Laurie to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
We cannot change you back to the "Grandfathered" plan if you decide to switch, once you move off of it there is no option to change back.
Cost for excess GBs remain the same.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Start Laurie:

We cannot change you back to the "Grandfathered" plan if you decide to switch....

Thanks.

I had a feeling that you would reply thusly, but just wanted someone to post it, so that there would be no misunderstandings.

It might be wise to also post a notice/disclaimer about that policy on the START website rate page.

Start Laurie
Premium Member
join:2011-09-09
London, ON

Start Laurie

Premium Member

I'll pass the suggestion onto Rocca. I do know our staff are NOT changing anyone until they've been informed of this.

CuriousJoe
@quickplay.com

CuriousJoe to rocca

Anon

to rocca
said by rocca:

Simply, in two words: "Capacity rate".

When we came up with the original quotas in March 2012, we expected we'd be stuck with the current ludicrous interim rates for maybe 2 or 3 months and absorb those costs,

Just curious, what are those rates? Are they public?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Yes they are, the file is CRTC 2011-703 - but quickly summarized at »CRTC and TPIA usage rates overview
antone
join:2013-01-10
East York, ON

antone to rocca

to rocca
would I be able to use a Motorola SB6141 modem?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by antone:

would I be able to use a Motorola SB6141 modem?

I don't believe that is approved for either network. The current approved modems for the network in your area are listed at www.start.ca/services/highspeed

lowcaps
@rogers.com

lowcaps to rocca

Anon

to rocca
it's STARTing to look alot like ROBBERS....
antone
join:2013-01-10
East York, ON

antone to rocca

to rocca
ok, i read from Teksavvy users that although it's not listed as supported they were able to call customer service to activate it by saying it was actually an SB6121 and just providing the MAC address and it worked...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to lowcaps

Premium Member

to lowcaps
Happy to increase the caps once we see more sustainable Capacity RaTes Come out. Until then we're double the caps for $10-$20/mo less.
rocca

rocca to antone

Premium Member

to antone
said by antone:

call customer service to activate it by saying it was actually an SB6121 and just providing the MAC address

Not something I can/would recommend. Once connected to the CMTS the model/version is visible, any future technical problems and I guarantee the response from Red will be "not supported modem, ticket cancelled". If you want a good experience, stick with a supported modem.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to rocca

to rocca
I am Interested possibly Rocca nice to see new Speeds But I only want 25/2 Internet, But i need more than 150 gigs usage like 350 would be Ideal? Any Usage blocks offered ? or Off peak Unlimited etc..? trying to find a way to square it off against similar packages from other providers as is its just not competitive to my needs

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by morisato:

I am Interested possibly Rocca nice to see new Speeds But I only want 25/2 Internet, But i need more than 150 gigs usage like 350 would be Ideal? Any Usage blocks offered ?

The capacity is the big factor in pricing. You could sort of consider the steps between tiers though like 100GB usage packs though -- and you get a bonus of faster speed at no extra charge.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Bah, Thats the Rub! I need Capacity Not speed, sure more speed is nice but i purposely download only in the wee hours of the morning to be nice to my isps bottom line... except for the occasional usage. all heavy downloads after 2am ugh.. Making the choice between Cable and DSL, Unlimited or Capped @ a level i could care less about. Sigh. So why offer 25/2 at all?> if capacity is the Cost why not just offer the 6 meg Unlimited and a 45/4 - 150 gigs $40 , 250 $50 350 $60? And Not bother with the other plans? Why tie usage to the higher speeds? perhaps someone wants a faster connection but doesn;t use it much ugh.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

There still is a cost difference between tiers, but the capacity is definitely the elephant in the room. Once the CRTC ruling comes out, if it's favourable we'll have some more exciting options. I don't think it will be much more than a month now.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

So maybe i Should Just Sit tight for a month or 2 and then make my move ugh, I hope its favorable i am really getting tired of paying 80 dollars for internet a month...