All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ckweb
join:2013-01-14

ckweb

[Home Network] Home Networking > Westell 327w VersaLink as Wirel

Note: I hope this home networking question can help others with the same hardware I own who may like to configure it like I am looking to do.

I have an older BellSouth Westell 327w VersaLink DSL modem router combo.

I want to re-configure this modem as a wireless Ethernet router.

This way I can connect it to my DSL modem (via the Westell's Ethernet Port 1 as a WAN)

I also want to take the Westell with me when I travel to use it for WIFI connections when staying in hotels that only provide Ethernet connections.

My Westell's current configuration, so far, is:

1. On the WAN Configuration page, I have selected "Ethernet Port 1" as my WAN (this setting is under the "Broadband DSL Line" tab)

2. The Connection is configured with "PPoE" Protocol "Routed Bridge", (this setting is under "Connection Configuration" within the "Broadband DSL Section")

I understand that the Westell is an older device so even AT&T techs may not know all there is to this modem. Let's see it as a bit of a research challenge (unless someone out there looking in happens to be a Westell guru!)

Westell 327w BellSouth screenshots: »screenshots.portforward. ··· ault.htm

Manufacturer firmware GUI guide (very helpful to review device features):
»www.westell.com/docs/sup ··· 6_ug.pdf

Only Verizon's version of this WiFi gateway has any instructions on router re-configuration, so that is the challenge I place for anyone who wants to crack the code!

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid

Re: [Home Network] Home Networking > Westell 327w VersaLink as W

May be a loaded question, but why are you trying to do this ? Wireless ethernet router ?

1. Why would you need to "connect" the Versalink to your dsl modem ? It's already a dsl modem/router combo, so just plug that in instead & configure it the way you want.

2. Why would you need to take the 327 to a hotel ? Does your laptop or access device not have a wifi ? It's a broadcast device only.

??
ckweb

ckweb

Great questions!

I am actually planning to test our local Comcast service to see how they compare to my DSL service, so having a wireless router would be avoid having to get upgraded home networking services that close to triple the price of Internet service. Unfortunately, cable Internet cannot use a DSL gateway as they are setup, but some, like the Westell, can be re-configured as Ethernet routers.

Also, I can have the Westell as a spare backup DSL modem, since I will be doing some work from home and I want to be up as much as possible.

For work, I will also need to travel, and some destinations will not have any wireless Internet, just a wired Ethernet connection. If I have my Westell, then I can use it to hookup wireless from any location without wifi available. (and yes, my laptop has wifi, but not some of the places I am planning to go).

Canezoid
End of line
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid to ckweb

to ckweb
Ok, I get it, but why don't you just save yourself the trouble and just get a "regular" router? You don't have to spend much. None of this would have any affect for your "pricing" structure w/ Comcast, it's your connection, configure it w/ whatever equipment you want.

Any "router" w/ an integrated switch is an "ethernet" router, so I'm still not really clear on that end of your question.

As far as your travel goes, still not clear on what your expecting, it's not going to work like that. If there is no wifi avail, then how do you expect to connect to it w/ any device ? Your laptop has wifi access, broadcast search, so ?? .

BTW, I have both Uverse & Comcast here, doing kinda what your trying to do. My works at home on PT customer service, which is internet dependent, so there is a backup. Both work fine, kinda favor my cable modem more.

Just my 2c.
ckweb

ckweb

Lol, we're both doing the same thing then, cool!

I have already ordered a netgear wireless gateway that I plan to use with the Comcast connection when I get it, so I'll be covered there. I know I can get a regular modem (no router) from their office if it packs up for any reason.

The Westell was a free gift, so I want to put it through its paces and see what it's worth; I heard that these we're solid performers back in their day.

I had three Linksys routers stop working right, one was a gateway from a previous Comcast connection I had some years back. That one works, but the wifi's gone. I'm kind of working with other brands for that reason, for now anyway (hence the netgear gateway I ordered).

I also got a netgear wireless router a while back, but the power adapter I had was the wrong size tip. When I ordered another adapter, supposedly the size tip I needed, it came with exactly the same adapter tip! So now I'm either going to get another router that has ereything, either on craigslist or ebay..

I'm just doing this as a proof of concept, especially since it's so easy to configure on the Verizon DSL gateway, so I decided to throw my hat in the ring (not by myself, though!).

Canezoid
End of line
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid

I use a Netgear N300 wnr200v2 w/a Netgear 624 config'd as a repeater upstairs, they work great.

The Versalink was a solid piece of equipment, I still have mine in the drawer from my dsl days. Easy to configure, has/had a great UI and just plain worked. Now, 3801 for Uverse and a Moto sb6120 DOC3 cable modem that I've had for a while. 12M tier on Uverse, runs fine, on Performance tier w/ Comcast which is 16/2 flat rate, powerboost tests steady 25/4, no probs.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to ckweb

to ckweb
easiest way for both connection configuration and troubleshooting is to make the other as an AP instead...

disable the dhcp on the Versalink and make it essentially an AP. this way, you can just connect it to your Westell without having to configure the latter and it's easier if you need to troubleshoot your connection, just unplug it and connect directly to your modem.

WARNING: you might not want to have that DSL connection any longer when you get your Comcast.
ckweb

ckweb

Hey, thanks! I think I can try doing that since I also have a obihai 202 router I can use for routing.. that's if I figure out how to get it to AP mode!

And on the DSL, I know what you mean (DSL=dinosaur speed line, right? Lol!)
ckweb

ckweb to Canezoid

to Canezoid
said by Canezoid:

I use a Netgear N300 wnr200v2 w/a Netgear 624 config'd as a repeater upstairs, they work great.

So for Comcast, you recommend Netgear's N300 WNR200 v2, right?

I ordered a CG814WG on eBay when I first posted on the Westell, but the seller has refused to receive my payment and wnats to cancel the order. It was a low-end bid, so I'm still needing to replace my cable modem.. I'll compare features and prices on both cable devices, but I'm sure what you're using is much newer, and more $$, too..lol!

My Internet speed is very modest as well, so that's a factor for now due to the low price I pay per month

Also, I managed to revive an old apple laptop by installing an OS onto a dying hd plugged via USB, just so that I could have some wifi..argh! But it's working for now, so I've slowed down in my quest for the west(ell) to work, for now!

Canezoid
End of line
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid

Yeah, works fine.