share rss forum feed

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

CIRA goes en Français

The controllers of the .CA domain have now included special accent characters as part of a website address.

é, ë, ê, è, â, à, æ, ô, œ, ù, û, ü, ç, î, ï, ÿ.

»www.cira.ca/news/news-releases/ca-french/

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
That was a bad move. The people are going to get annoyed with this if someone actually uses that in a name, and the scammers are going to love it if they don't register all the variants for the site.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter

Re: CIRA goes en Français

I can't say I approve of this either. URLs are supposed to be alphanumeric because it's easy. I can't type a æ on my keyboard, so any site that uses one isn't getting my traffic. (Or maybe that's the idea, let people register these domains and sit back and play dumb when it doesn't do the registrants any good.)

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
... I'm sure the expectation is that you can't type those letters and the people that have web sites that are inaccessible to English speakers are probably fully aware of that.

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1
reply to Thane_Bitter

I imagine few if any websites using accent characters will get any traffic. They will be relegated to spammers and domain squatters methinks.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Thane_Bitter
UTF-8 domains have been valid for awhile now, and are up to the controller to implement.

I approve this, but wouldn't use them, knowing people would have issues if it was an English Site.

Now if it was a French only site, there's no point not using it.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
reply to ekster
According the the CIRA any webname will include the multi variations of accents so it should not be an issue. Got to wonder if the Language police will now expect and enforce total french in web site names.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
They said it's included, but they're not obligated to do it... considering some government websites were competent enough to let the domain registration expire a couple of times... I don't know if I could trust them to do this properly. :\

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to urbanriot

Now why would anyone do that?
Société_pour_l'extermination_de_tous_ceux_qui_ne_parlent_pas_le_français.ca

I can completely envision the PQ Party will make the most of it to purge any remaining english in government sites.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

According the the CIRA any webname will include the multi variations of accents so it should not be an issue. Got to wonder if the Language police will now expect and enforce total french in web site names.

If you don't use the accents properly in the address bar, the language cops come after you!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Thane_Bitter
Bad idea, people cannot spell properly as it is.

booj

join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON
said by EUS:

Bad idea, people cannot spell properly as it is.

Quebec will now be able to spell its name properly in URLs... not exactly a tragedy when it comes to spelling.