Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

[Tablet] Not charging when screen turned on

My TF300T charges fine when it's idling (screen off) because I can tell the charge went up. However, when I turn on the screen and go in the battery info, it says it's not charging.

I don't have much time to validate if this is correct before my wife and son leave for China and I'd hate it if the tablet wasn't able to use the charger's power while being used (It's a very long flight).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
How are you charging it? Via AC or via USB?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to alkizmo
If by USB, see this thread. Sounds like it either does not charge or USB (probably only 500mA) cannot do much more than keep the battery level stable or slowly charge it with the power being drawn from the screen.
--

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
It's via AC.
Though the link you gave me pretty much confirms the same thing, and hopefully they're right that it does "charge" or at the very least, supplies the tablet with enough power so that it doesn't drain the battery while its used.

If the tablet is plugged in during the whole flight, it should have a nearly full battery at the end.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by alkizmo:

It's via AC.
Though the link you gave me pretty much confirms the same thing, and hopefully they're right that it does "charge" or at the very least, supplies the tablet with enough power so that it doesn't drain the battery while its used.

If the tablet is plugged in during the whole flight, it should have a nearly full battery at the end.

Yes, you could perform an experiment and note the battery % then throw a movie on while it's plugged in and let it play while you go off and do something else. Then come back and see where the battery % is.
--

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to alkizmo
Yes, the tablet holds its own when being used, plugged in, however it really does not re-charge much while in use.

Although I can not speak for all tablets, this is pretty much par for the course.

You are correct in that if your wife has it plugged in while travelling the battery will not discharge.
--
Deeds, not words

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to alkizmo
Can't speak specifically to the T300, but on AC both my 201 and 101 charged fine while in use and showed it. Obviously not as quickly as not in use.

If you just have the tablet I can see running out on a long flight, but if you have the keyboard, fully charged it should last 12-16hours especially with WiFi and BT turned off. Disable GPS is a good idea too.

300T alone with no Wifi/BT/GB should be good for up to 8 hours

I frequently use my 201 6-8hours often streaming video or video and background download with BT headset and only occasionally drain the keyboard battery fully and start on the Tab battery which is still usually 90%. Not 100% because the keyboard actually charges the tablet not supply power directly.
--