uniqs
share rss forum feed

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

having a really tough time with Dell bloatware

i cant seem to uninstall this software from the stock of Dell computers we purchased (some laptops and some desktops)

all systems have windows 7 pro.

i am trying to install Symantec Endpoint Protection agent on the computers and this error pops up

"Dell Embassy Trust Suite by Wave Systems must be removed..."

any variation of names (above) is not listed under add/remove programs and is not in the start menu. anything with Wave Systems has been disabled as a service and from startup and i still get that error message when i attempt to install the symantec agent.

i was on the phone with Dell Gold Support yesterday for two hours....nothing. all they were able to tell me was that anything with the fingerprint reader is related to the package i am trying to remove.

i have googled this and 99% of the results simply say to go to add/remove programs and get rid of it from there (not coming up for me under add/remove).

Dell says to call Symantec, Symantec says to call Dell (i agree with symantec on this one). after two hours on the phone with Dell, they basically said that my Gold Support only covers hardware and drivers and that this was starting to look like a software issue and that software support requires a per incident fee/charge. i thanked the agent for helping me work on a non-related hardware/driver issue and ended the call.

anyone have a similar experience or know how else to get rid of this software?

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
What does your action center say? Have you tried to enable windows defender to just get rid of the reference of the dell crapware?

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
action center doesnt have any flags, is there something specific you'd like me to check?

i have not messed with windows defender, i never even thought about that (you can remove stuff with defender[other than viruses/threats])?

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
If you try to enable windows defender, it might disable the dell crapware. Worth a shot.. in your action center does it list the dell crapware in there, any option to not use it as your anti-virus anymore?

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

2 edits
Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer.

i just turned on windows defender, i will report back if it finds anything...it is going the initial check/startup.

EDIT- enabling windows defender doesnt stop the Dell bloatware from running, still active.

i know why they pre-load this stuff, but it would work out so much better if they just gave you the CDs or allowed you to easily unisntall it. this is just frustrating and users/admins should not have to go through this stuff.

Edit- more info...

when i disable (msconfig) Trusted Drive Manager | Wave Systems

it re-enables itself after a reboot.

This is located in/running a file

C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Data Protection\Access\Advanced\Wave\Trusted Drive Manager\TdmNotify.exe

i can't delete that file because it is in use. the file in use is something like...TdmService or tdmlconoverlay.dll, i have seen so many file i forget which one of the two it is.

anyway, i guess another thing i could try is to delete a registry value

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run looking for wave or trusted drive manager

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
Geez that sucks, I thought that might work. Could always load up procexp, locate the process names, boot in safe mode and blast away the whole directory.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
i am remotely connected to this PC. i know i can boot it into safe mode with networking, but not sure if logmein or VNC will start in safe mode so i can remote in.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
I always just image the computer, never ever use the OS and crap when it comes in the door with. It really is the only way to bring a computer into a secure network, otherwise your open for just about any intrusion

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
yeah, i am going to start doing that. this small office had a guy that always built computers for them (friend of the owner, local business and he wanted to support him [which was nice]) and i would always get them with a clean OS. computer builder retired and office is now buying bulk through dell. unfortunately these systems have active users on them and i am not going to format and do a clean install, so i will have to wait until it is time for a rebuild/new computer if i cant figure this out...

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to tomdlgns
Have you tried PC Decrapifier yet? It "might" find the apps. you're trying to remove. Can't hurt.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
nope, will try that, thanks.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to tomdlgns
Wave Systems software is software for use with self-encrypting hard drives. If you do not use a self-encrypting drive, or if you don't use the self-encrypting facility of a self-encrypting drive, you might try turning off the TPM in the BIOS and see if that helps.
--
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
said by BK3:

Wave Systems software is software for use with self-encrypting hard drives. If you do not use a self-encrypting drive, or if you don't use the self-encrypting facility of a self-encrypting drive, you might try turning off the TPM in the BIOS and see if that helps.

ok, i will have to try that next time i am at that building (we dont use that feature). thank you.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to aguen
said by aguen:

Have you tried PC Decrapifier yet? It "might" find the apps. you're trying to remove. Can't hurt.

it allowed me to check the box to remove the software i dont want, but when it attempts to remove it, it states that it needs it (the software) and doesn't appear to remove it.

very strange, but probably normal.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

I always just image the computer, never ever use the OS and crap when it comes in the door with.

+1, Occasionally I'll boot a factory image just to see whats on there.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
reply to tomdlgns
Based on that outcome, I'm going with what BK3 See Profile said about TPM being "on" in the BIOS.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to tomdlgns
thanks guys, i will check next time i am at that site and update the thread.

Neo62381

join:2003-04-18
Lenoir, NC
reply to tomdlgns
+1 on re-imaging. It's been so long since I've seen a factory install. I don't even want know how bad it's gotten. It was bad back in 08/09, I don't even wanna know what manufacturers are including now...

I really like the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, officially supported, plus seems to be the most discussed.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
yeah, i didnt have any issues until this last set of Dell computers that came in.

but going forward, any new PC i get from dell is going to be wiped and a i will install a fresh OS, drivers, updates and then image it for the rest of the computers that were part of the order.

what a PITA this one piece of software has become.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to tomdlgns
In a business environment you should always install the OS yourself or image. That way you know what is on the machine and why it is on there. Imaging is the best way to go as it takes much less time than a manual load and you have much better consistency. If you must do a manual load consider creating a check list to ensure that you build every machine the same way.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON
reply to tomdlgns
Sorry to hear you're having the issues you are.

The program you mention is indeed very hard to uninstall in fact a while back it was badly installed on many computers.

Dell DID have an uninstall for it however and I can't recall.

I do know we had about 2 pages of torture to go through to get rid of the damn thing only to re-install it correctly because it was done that badly.

"Decrapifier" and others like that will fail becasue it isn't bloatware it is indeed the fingerprint portion of the hardware and that's part of the problem, the software is if I recall right activated by the drivers for it.

Here is a link I found that looks a lot like the nightmare we use to go through.

If some steps are not possible go to the next as if you had done it (that's what we had done) and indeed you will notice the steps include one to go into the BIOS.

»dell.wave.com/support/uninstall-···-ets#ETS

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to tomdlgns
i was on site today, booted into bios and saw nothing that would allow me to disable any hardware that would cause this program to not uninstall (wave).

there were a few things that did look like something i wouldnt want running, but when i checked the status, the enable box was not checked on any of these items.

very strange, but more frustrating.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
said by tomdlgns:

i am remotely connected to this PC. i know i can boot it into safe mode with networking, but not sure if logmein or VNC will start in safe mode so i can remote in.

Just for future reference, you can do a "safe mode reboot" from within LogMeIn, which will do exactly that, reboot into safe mode + logmein.
If you are using the website - go to the "main menu" for the computer, select Preferences - then Advanced - and click on "View Reboot Options".

I haven't seen that software on any of the Vostros that have come in lately. Are you maybe buying from the Home/Inspiron line?

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to tomdlgns
This software works with the Intel TPM on Dell computers, of which fingerprint readers are a part. You can disable the TPM in the BIOS.

Supporting about 200 Dell PCs right now and I haven't seen it cause any particular problem. It might not be worth screwing with...I certainly wouldn't call it 'bloatware'.