share rss forum feed

KrLouKy

join:2010-09-18
Louisville, KY

1 edit

[Phone] Phone service email - Louisville, KY

Just got this email from Insight:

"Dear Insight Phone Customer,

We have important information for you regarding your Phone service with Insight. Free upgrades to your phone network have been completed and we need to speak with you right away to make sure you are ready for the upcoming changes.

Please call 1-877-842-7209 to speak to a representative within the next 7 business days so we can help you with the transition.

Thank you"

I assume this is legit, but anyone receive this and know what it is about?

Thanks!

smashcraft
Premium
join:2011-06-15
Louisville, KY

Re: [Phone] Phone service email

They are moving everyone off the legacy network and moving you to Phone 2.0 more than likely. A lot of my neighbors have been having this happen. I would call them as they more than likely are going to switch out your telephone modem.

KrLouKy

Louisville, KY

Thanks for the info; I appreciate it. By telephone modem, do you mean the box that is on the outside of my home and not my cable modem?

smashcraft
Premium
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..

That is correct. They are doing away with the boxes on the outside of the house and will switch out your cable modem. They will provide you with a cable telephony modem and your service will come from the modem instead of the box outside. Make sure the modem you are provided has a battery backup since I saw some postings on here saying some of the modems did not contain a backup. This will be required to keep your service up and running if your house electricity were to go out. If you have a home security system, call them and make sure they are compatible with Insight Phone 2.0.

KrLouKy

Louisville, KY

OK; thanks again for the info.

KrLouKy

Louisville, KY
reply to KrLouKy

Re: [Phone] Phone service email - Louisville, KY

Called Insight about this and was informed will be switched over to Phone 2.0 tomorrow. Rep stated I would be getting a new modem in addition to my cable modem; am confused by this as I thought my cable modem would be replaced with a new modem that allows a phone line to be hooked up as well as my internet. Anyone know which is correct? Also, for others who may go through this soon, my bill will be reduced by $8 a month; so a little good news on that front.

Thanks!

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Take pics before and after for others to know what changes were made.

smashcraft
Premium
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..
reply to KrLouKy

I am not sure what they will do in your case. My modem for 2.0 service was both my cable modem and it had the telephone build in to the modem. So it was one modem that served for telephone and my internet access. It seems that it would be crazy for them to give you a telephone modem in addition to your current modem rather than switching them out, but I am not a technician and did not have the switched voice service like you did. I agree with OSU I would take picture of the before and after so others in the forum can see your post.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH

That's what they do up here in Columbus, u get one for Internet and another for Phone.

KrLouKy

Louisville, KY

Click for full size
Click for full size
Followup: Was switched over to Phone 2.0 as scheduled; works fine and with no issues. Installation involved disconnecting hookup at house box, re-working cables at cable box in yard, and switching out cable modem with new phone/cable modem. Not 2 modems as suggested by rep on phone but a new single phone/cable modem. Only change there is a standard phone line is plugged into modem and connected to a regular phone jack. Tech then calls new info into to office, checks phone and internet connectivity, and that's it.

Hope this helps anyone who may be getting switched over understand what Insight/TWC will be doing. Not complicated, and took the tech a little over an hour to complete. Photos of old and new modems are attached. Notice that new modem is about twice the size of the old cable only modem.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH

What's the HP box

KrLouKy

Louisville, KY

New small subwoofer that came with my new PC.

LEXKy

@insightbb.com
reply to KrLouKy

Are your uploads and downloads speeds still the same, have you notice any traffic shaping, and wonder what happens if they do not have access to a phone jack (my situation)?

What model is the unit you got?

Thanks!

infotime

join:2004-09-08
Louisville, KY
reply to KrLouKy

Just helped someone last night who had had their box changed. They apparently had the old Insight phone service and were switched to the new Arris box like pictured. I didn't realize it at first but this box does a lot - it's a cable modem, phone modem, wired and wireless router.

There's was model TG862. It has four Ethernet ports on the back. Anything plugged in to one of the ports will be handed an address like 192.168.0.2 or higher. The box was preset (apparently) for WiFi and was broadcasting an SSID like ARRIS-1127 and security was turned on.

I changed the wireless settings by going to »192.168.0.1
The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".

So, this box is pretty nice. It's could be all you need.