spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak

Premium Member

Google Fibers' next stop...

Google Fibers' next stop must be in Dallas. Thanks Time Warner for leaking it with this upgrade.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Nah, FiOS is already there. If I remember correctly, Google said something to the effect that they aren't going to go after markets that have FiOS already available.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to spewak

Premium Member

to spewak
I wish. I would take that in a freaking heartbeat.

But yeah, we do have FiOS here and that's probably driving most of the upgrades that Time Warner's Dallas plant sees. Still, FiOS doesn't really cover that much of Dallas, all things considered.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to iansltx

to iansltx
Good, they would be welcome in south east Michigan and the Detroit area where they can fight it out with AT&T/Comcast/WOW and others...

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

1 recommendation

PamelaTS to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Nah, FiOS is already there. If I remember correctly, Google said something to the effect that they aren't going to go after markets that have FiOS already available.

FIOS is not in Dallas, Irving yes. But Dallas NO!

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

said by PamelaTS:

said by iansltx:

FIOS is not in Dallas, Irving yes. But Dallas NO!

There are a few areas in Dallas that do have it. I personally prefer FIOS over cable anyways. I pay $55 for 50/25 FIOS in Denton and the alternative is crappy Charter cable.
fieroloki
join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

fieroloki to PamelaTS

to PamelaTS
I am in Dallas and have it. Just not all parts of Dallas have it.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman

Premium Member

What part of Dallas are you in?

I've been looking for a house and would love to have FiOS, but it seems that it's only in the suburbs. (I don't consider Far North Dallas as Dallas since you typically have to go through other cities to get there--i.e. Addison and Plano).

The sad think about these speed increases is that their adoption won't be that great because they aren't doing anything for upstream. (That, and price... $90 is a little steep for a 75/5 connection these days).
zlm44mut4b
join:2003-07-28
Plano, TX

zlm44mut4b

While not Dallas, it's available in Garland (or at least in many areas of Garland). I think that's the closest you'll get while still remaining in Verizon territory unless Richardson has it, but I think that's AT&T's area.

Edit: FiOS map with DSLR users available at »/gmaps/fios
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to tc1uscg

to tc1uscg
they should do the Chicago area and offer CLTV HD.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

What about cities that have FiOS, but not in specific neighborhoods like mine?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Probably not. Though Google Fiber is overbuilding SureWest in certain areas of Kansas City, they are doing it as part of an eventually citywide rollout. They wouldn't want to do that in something larger than KC...too much effort...so that pretty much precludes areas with a patchwork of telephone companies serving the same city.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman to zlm44mut4b

Premium Member

to zlm44mut4b
I'm familiar with that map. It's in many of the suburbs, just not really in Dallas (as in central Dallas, I mean). It doesn't seem to be anywhere that I want to live.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
They are more then welcome to start building it out in Milwaukee... between At&t [slower IP-DSL \ VDSL] and Time Warner Cable... Google should have no problems competing with them.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to spewak

to spewak
bring it to the upper ohio valley where all we have is comcast and in non comcast area, jefferson county/blue devil cable.