uniqs
share rss forum feed

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17

75/5?

Where is the upstream part of the announcement? A 75/5 tier? Wow, makes FiOS look really slow - NOT......

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
said by nycdave:

Where is the upstream part of the announcement?

I was wondering the same thing. I would imagine you have it right at 5, since anything faster would be worthy of mentioning.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nycdave
When you don't have upstream channel bonding across your footprint...or at the very least a 6.4 MHz upstream running at 64QAM...there's only so much you can do. Comcast has both of the above, hence their ability to pump out 20 Mbps up over cable. And their ability to get about $20 per month more from me than TWC does now, because I had 50/15 there (vs. 50/5 now).

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by iansltx:

When you don't have upstream channel bonding across your footprint...or at the very least a 6.4 MHz upstream running at 64QAM...there's only so much you can do. Comcast has both of the above, hence their ability to pump out 20 Mbps up over cable. And their ability to get about $20 per month more from me than TWC does now, because I had 50/15 there (vs. 50/5 now).

TWC in dallas is bonding on the upstream but it is 4 3.2MHz wide QAM64 channels which is equivalent to 2 6.4MHz wide QAM64 channels

I think TWC might be waiting to add more downstreams on the internet currently at 6 going to 8?

Also they are deploying HD DTA's in Dallas so maybe they are getting ready to rearrange the QAM frequencies to make room for the additional internet QAMs if they are indeed going to be added.

Right now the TWC 860MHz system that serves Dallas has:
24 SDV QAMs
8 VOD QAMs
6 internet QAMs

so they are going to have to rearrange things to fit in 2 more DOCSIS channels as there are two sets of SDV QAMs that are on both sides of the DOCSIS downstreams so right now the internet frequencies are from 783MHz to 813MHz with no room for DOCSIS carriers on 819MHz and 825MHz.