Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mrherzog

join:2001-05-06
Calgary, AB
reply to dillyhammer

Re: Rogers not to blame

"Get mad at the CRTC. Get mad at Industry Canada. Get mad at Weights & Measures"

100% agree!! the thing this time though, is that we finally have a guy at the CRTC who isn't afraid of stepping up. He just needs a little nudge to feel the mood of the people.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

The issue is going to be for the CRTC though, what power do they have to stop Rogers (or Bell or Shw or Telus) from raising their prices?

Absolutely none, and if they tried Rogers would be in court so fast you'd hear the sonic boom in their wake.

I agreed to sign up for one more year but I'm carefully monitoring just what I'm watching and whether legal digital alternatives exist. If as I suspect, there are the proper, cheaper alternatives out there, then its a matter of telling Rogers to go away come next December.

NefCanuck

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

said by NefCanuck:

The issue is going to be for the CRTC though, what power do they have to stop Rogers (or Bell or Shw or Telus) from raising their prices?

The best thing they could do would be to split off the portion of Rogers/Bell/Telus/etc. that controls the "last mile" into a separate company with its own set of books and transparent costs. Give that infrastructure company a regulated rate of return like they did in the monopoly telephone days for Bell, and force them to sell access to the last mile to anyone with published rates that are the same for all players.

We're partway there with the 3rd party Internet access regulations in place now, but there's not enough transparency in the numbers supplied by the incumbents. Since those numbers affect the wholesale rates approved by the CRTC, the incumbents can get creative in order to stop the 3rd parties from undercutting them too significantly in retail price.

Trencher

join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Don't lump Telus in with the rest of them.. I'm pretty happy with my Telus rates (as long as they don't start enforcing their cap). I'm paying about $110 a month for 50/10 Internet with no cap and their second highest TV tier.