share rss forum feed

Turbulentred

join:2012-08-07
Reviews:
·Charter
·exede by ViaSat

1 edit

[Exede] New Exede Customer Please Help.

I'm posting this from my home connection a uncapped 30 Mbit business line which I pay the same as for my mothers connection to exede. My mom lives out in the sticks, and I handle her internet. She had centurylink I used to think that was a horrible service, but with that one you could get online sometimes. The contract is in my name, because shes internet naieve. Shes experiencing multiple sporadic resynchs during calm weather which boot her off for about 5 minutes. When she can get on which is alot of the time, she experiences page timeouts from massive latency. Now I expected latency to be a bit high but it's beyond useable for facebook, huffington post, or anything but google. So it takes about 3 reloads to get to facebook on average. So I called tech support, we're both in single consent states so I recorded the call. I have it as a wav file if anyone from wildblue wants to hear how rude their techs are. They can't send anyone out to re set the satalite, there is no using this. I urge anyone who is sitting with awful extended dsl or dial up to not jump on this gen 4 bandwagon. It's like communisim in works on paper but not in practice. I beg that one of the exede people monitoring this thread contact me asap.

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
[Exede] New Exede Customer Please Help.
I'm posting this from my home connection a uncapped 30 Mbit business line which I pay the same as for my mothers connection to exede. My mom lives out in the sticks, and I handle her internet. She had centurylink I used to think that was a horrible service, but with that one you could get online sometimes. The contract is in my name, because shes internet naieve. Shes experiencing multiple sporadic resynchs during calm weather which boot her off for about 5 minutes. When she can get on which is alot of the time, she experiences page timeouts from massive latency. Now I expected latency to be a bit high but it's beyond useable for facebook, huffington post, or anything but google. So it takes about 3 reloads to get to facebook on average. So I called tech support, we're both in single consent states so I recorded the call. I have it as a wav file if anyone from wildblue wants to hear how rude their techs are. They can't send anyone out to re set the satalite, there is no using this. I urge anyone who is sitting with awful extended dsl or dial up to not jump on this gen 4 bandwagon. It's like communisim in works on paper but not in practice. I beg that one of the exede people monitoring this thread contact me asap.

Turbulentred

Exede is Exede it has nothing to do with Gen4, that is Hughes.

Turbulentred

Reviews:
·Charter
·exede by ViaSat
reply to Turbulentred
Gen 4 is being used by both Viasat and Huges to describe their "service" as in the 4th generation of crap technology that doesn't work. I never have issues with major DSL and Cable providers. It's just that out in the sticks it's different. I want to make this clear we are Exede/VIASAT consumers in need of serious help. Your post explained nothing.

turbulentren

@wmich.edu
reply to sharkyyoung
They're both billing themselves as 4th generation, I'm aware of hugesnet coining that name more so. We have an exede connection through VIASAT. Your comment was useless, and didn't address any of my concerns. In all reality you did bump my post, and thank you for that. I feel if they can work it out by the end of the week, I won't have to get the FCC and BBB involved to get disconnected without getting ripped off. I really want this product to work. You ever go to best buy then buy something, and then it doesn't work and you return it they don't charge you to do that. If they can get it working, what they advertised I'd be pleased. Right now we switched back to the centurylink connection until they are willing to fix it. I'm going to send another call to their tech support this evening when I have someone at the PC to "trouble shoot" because the fact that I have a log of how many drops, timeouts and, ran my diag doesn't mean crap to them. So I have to be there physically at the pc so they can tell me to recycle the modem. Ugh senseless comment.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
reply to Turbulentred
said by Turbulentred:

experiencing multiple sporadic resynchs

Imho, just give specifics...to the point of the issue.

Now, some values via SB2 modem:

Rx SNR:
Cable Resistance:
Cable Attenuation:

Tx IF Power:
Tx RF Power:

Modem Lights - Are all four flashing at times?

If one has exhausted CSR and local installer (if applicable), then contact ViaSat: »Re: [Exede] data to a secured cloud site not transferring

But, imho, just deal with specifics of the matter...

Turbulentred

1 edit
Cable resistance is 0.5
Cable Attenuation runs around 11-13

The other two I can get a ballpark range (they fluctuate) when I am back there at 5.

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to Turbulentred
I have never heard "Gen4" being used by Viasat. That is a new one to me. Care to share where you have seen or heard this?

That being said...I can't understand why anyone would give up cable or DSL internet for satellite. Satellite is "typically" the last resort for internet when nothing (other than dialup) is available.

There could be a number of factors on why you are having issues. Based on location...you might only be getting Exede 5. Exede 5 is worlds apart from Exede 12, as you are on augmented satellite beams on an older bird in space...sharing space with legacy customers too. There could also be issues with the installation. Improper grounding, improper cable, and a badly tuned dish could all contribute to problems.

When you run a speed test (testmy.net is really the only reliable one for satellite), what type of performance are you seeing?

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL
Gen4 is the name of the satellite (called Jupiter early in the planning stages) launched for HughesNet and has nothing to do with ViaSat-1, launched by Wildblue for Exede services.

DishNet advertises their services without specifying what satellite will be used for any particular customer..not sure if Dish uses the term "Gen4" or not..but they sell plans for either bird.
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

turbred

@charter.com
reply to OldSatUser
My mom uses the service she lives in the middle of nowhere 40 minute drive to the nearest well anything. I live in the city and use a business class line. Her internet is in my name, because shes an internet novice. See she had Dial Up before this, and I told her how to switch back and she did. She choose dial up over this, even tho the speeds hit around 12mpbs the latency was over 1100! Which caused massive page timeouts. Also it kept resynching!

ViaSat

join:2012-02-08
kudos:1
reply to Turbulentred
Please send us an email with a phone number and/or email we can reach you and a good time and we'll do what we can to answer your questions. exedelistens@viasat.com
-The Exede Team

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to Turbulentred
said by Turbulentred:

They can't send anyone out to re set the satalite....

I suspect Exede will not send a technician because your mom's modem statistics are all within specification. DrStrangeLov has experience with that one. You should still post them so we can verify.

Please explain how the computer is attached to the Exede modem. Is your mom using a router or WiFi?

Do a ping test to see if there is any packet loss.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to Turbulentred
Hamachi is VPN software. VPN is slow when used with satellite Internet due to the latency inherent in the system.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway