1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

How to stay safe?

I'm a bit tired of working on this person's computer but besides telling them what not to click on.. I guess he has some daughters or who ever else that has a account for each of them on Windows 7..

Anyways the last crap he had was the FBI moneypak spyware and a bunch of pop-ups that will change your home page or the change what you were searching for to something else unrelated.

Any software I can use that will block this? Because clearly telling him does not seem to be working out too well..
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Anyone?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Personally, I wouldn't be without:
Spyware Blaster
Super Antispyware
An AV of your choice
Prevx
Zemena

I like to think that I have a well balanced system with layers of things that might help. But, if these are teenagers, they probably know more than the parent, so no matter what you put on, they'll figure out how to get around it. The lessons begin way before now and it sounds as if you are cleaning up a block head's system.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

Subaru

Premium Member

Well these people are old enough to know better

Stop clicking on those you won a ipad banners.. it's like every 4-5 months because one of the other accounts clicked on something..

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

You cant teach stupid. If they are that ignorant and will not listen to you. You cannot help those type of people.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by KoRnGtL15:

You can't teach fix stupid.

FIFY

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I know :-/ I mean I like working on systems and all but it's annoying when it's the same crap over and over..I thought about using openDNS and locking down everything...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
can you get them to firefox?

At least then there would be adblock plus which would mean they would not even see those you have won an ipad banners.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Already use firefox but I've seen some ads slip by or pop ups still happen.. I use adblock plus on my system too.. it seems as of late more and more pop ups happen now.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
You've got options!
1. Eliminate all the malware on the net.
2. Eliminate the users.

On reflection, you've got this option.
3. Eliminate the use of Admin accounts for day to day browsing.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

2 recommendations

jaykaykay to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
The time comes when you must take responsibility and tell this relative or whomever it is that you will no longer clean up their system/repeated messes. If they have to pay for someone to do it, they'll soon get the idea one would hope, unless they have money to burn.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Agreed. When one has to spend their own time and/or money they tend to learn quicker.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

3 edits

redwolfe_98 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
well, the parent could tell the kids that they just can't use the computer anymore because they keep getting it infected with malware.. that might wake them up to being conscious about computer-security..

you need to try to get the family to use "firefox" with the "noscript" and "adblock plus" addons..

also, it would help to not have "java" installed.. if they have to have java installed (in order to be able to play games at "pogo.com" ), keep it disabled except for when it is needed.. firefox would help there, too, since, supposedly, with firefox 18, "java" will only run if you manually select to allow it to run.. the most important thing is "KILL JAVA!".. well, not really..the most important thing is to use "firefox" with the "noscript" addon: "noscript" itself would prevent java from running-unless one selects to allow it to run..

i am sure that "java" is responsible for the computer's being infected with malware..

p.s. i also would advise using the "foxit" PDF-reader instead of using 'adobe reader"..

you also could consider using "privatefirewall" on the computer which can control the execution of files:

»www.privacyware.com/pers ··· all.html

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

well his daughter is like 30 something so not so much a kid

It really boggles my mind.. are people really that gullible with those banners that say you won X prize?

Heck I know and I teach my mom not to but she got temped once and I told her they are all fake, but at least she's gone 3 years without any spyware...

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

.. are people really that gullible...

Yes. In fact the word isn't in the dictionary

Think of it this way. If no-one clicked on such ads, links in email etc do you think scammers would keep on doing it?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by Subaru:

.. are people really that gullible...

Yes. In fact the word isn't in the dictionary

Think of it this way. If no-one clicked on such ads, links in email etc do you think scammers would keep on doing it?

Hah yeah when you do it somewhat like 5 months from the last fixing it gets annoying.. mind you it's like a 30 mile drive one way.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Personally, I wouldn't be without:
Spyware Blaster
Super Antispyware
An AV of your choice
Prevx
Zemena

I like to think that I have a well balanced system with layers of things that might help. But, if these are teenagers, they probably know more than the parent, so no matter what you put on, they'll figure out how to get around it. The lessons begin way before now and it sounds as if you are cleaning up a block head's system.

i'm ageen' wid ya........however..malware bytes pro and spybot sd are good as well..........superantispyware pro.........has been a lifesaver 4me........jd
Phoenix22

Phoenix22 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

The time comes when you must take responsibility and tell this relative or whomever it is that you will no longer clean up their system/repeated messes. If they have to pay for someone to do it, they'll soon get the idea one would hope, unless they have money to burn.

hit em' where they will feel it...i'm doin' that same dealy now...just cleaned 57troz and pups from cnet and wherever off a machine.........that someone couldn't wait 4me 2configure........b4usin'
jd

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

using ad block edge since Ad block plus does not work on the newest firefox.

I might switch over to that on my desktop since I've noticed more and more ads showing up, and I hate how pop ups show up on mouse clicks.

but so far so good, I'm on his system now with no issues

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
How about setting up the system with the accounts needed but they all only have limited access no admin rights, then install a sandbox on the system and have everything be opened in sandbox.
quote:
Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.
Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don't leak into Windows.
Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can't break out of the sandbox and can't infect your real system.
Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.
»www.sandboxie.com/
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Another option: Mac.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

using ad block edge since Ad block plus does not work on the newest firefox.

Yes it does. Using ABP with no issues on Fx 18.0.

Also, charge them gas money and for your time. They might start to think twice about clicking on crap if they have to pay to have it fixed everytime.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Hmm.. maybe I need to change something? It's annoying to have ads showing or those little sliding ads that move up and down a page when you scroll.

And yeah I have pretty much no other option but to charge them 60 miles is a bit of a drive

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I agree that Sandboxie is an excellent answer. It's a great program. I set a friend up with it almost 2 years ago and he's still infection free. Without it, I am convinced he would have been infected within the first week he owned his PC.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I don't know what you would need to change. I updated Fx on Friday and ABP just continued to work as always. Maybe try uninstalling/reinstalling it?

At the price of gas these days, you absolutely should charge them, and your skills are worth something too. Might be different if they lived next door, but they don't.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I've reached a far simpler conclusion for these types of people: I just refuse to do it anymore.

Family, friends... I don't care. I gave them the tools, and taught them. I gave up.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I had a similar problem with my kids, mostly one of my daughters. She would routinely get her laptop infected.

You may not like my solution, but it works for me. I removed Windows from her laptop and installed Linux. She grumbled at first, but she really did not have any other choice, if she wanted to continue to use the laptop at home. She is happy now, I am very happy now. It been over two years now, no infections. That was also when I decided on a new rule in my house. Windows is not allowed.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

I've reached a far simpler conclusion for these types of people: I just refuse to do it anymore.

Family, friends... I don't care. I gave them the tools, and taught them. I gave up.

Same here. I only do this for my parents, that's it. I set them up with a regular user account (they only check email and browse internet, so don't need to install anything), they know what not to and follow it and their computer never has any problems.

Doing it for someone else this way is difficult for multiple reasons (keep in mind that I have never charged anybody for this):

1) You tell them what not to do but they will still do this again and again (or their kids will)

2) Setting them up with limited account will not work because someone always wants to install something. I did this multiple times but always gave them admin password - this is their computer after all. They all end up always using admin account.

3) [The worst] After you help them once you are considered to be responsible for their computer forever. You will be called often and expected to fix whatever problems they now have RIGHT AWAY. When I suggested to someone dropping their computer at my home so I would look at it when I get a chance within a week or 2 that person actually asked me "Well can't you come to my house and do this right now?" And that wasn't even a close friend.

If you charge people for that then it is of course a different matter.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Any software I can use that will block this?

Linux
AVD

AVD to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

You've got options!
1. Eliminate all the malware on the net.
2. Eliminate the users.

On reflection, you've got this option.
3. Eliminate the use of Admin accounts for day to day browsing.

this was going to me my serious answer.