All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
chrisedwards
join:2008-05-17
Calgary, AB

chrisedwards to MartinM

to MartinM

Re: [Voip.ms] Survey / Feedback on restructuring Geo Locations.

This is still a fairly recent thread so I thought I'd add my thoughts:

1. I don't see a Europe POP mentioned. We have employees travel frequently to Europe and it's nice to have a European POP that they can reliably connect to while overseas. I haven't tried the New York POP though, so it's possible that in various locations in Europe the NY POP would have sufficient pings. In any case I'd love to see a European POP kept.

2. I like the New York POP selection. New York has good connectivity to South America. I get 100-120ms pings to Sao Paulo in Brazil. While higher than what'd you'd see domestically, it's workable.

3. I like Los Angeles POP which has good connectivity to Mexico (~60ms to Puerto Vallarta).
Toollio
join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda

Toollio

said by chrisedwards:

1. I don't see a Europe POP mentioned. We have employees travel frequently to Europe and it's nice to have a European POP that they can reliably connect to while overseas. I haven't tried the New York POP though, so it's possible that in various locations in Europe the NY POP would have sufficient pings. In any case I'd love to see a European POP kept.

2. I like the New York POP selection. New York has good connectivity to South America. I get 100-120ms pings to Sao Paulo in Brazil. While higher than what'd you'd see domestically, it's workable.

3. I like Los Angeles POP which has good connectivity to Mexico (~60ms to Puerto Vallarta).

I agree that consideration should be given to customers outside North America. I'm in Salvador, Brazil, most of the time and I find that Montreal offers me one of the best ping times. In my case it beats New York and other U.S. servers. It might be prudent to do some testing to see whether the servers you intend to keep will satisfy customers in Europe, South America and elsewhere.

Latency tends to be overrated. I find up to 160ms perfectly acceptable, with no lag in conversation. Like the poster I've quoted, I am perfectly happy with 120, which is what I get from Salvador to Montreal. I've been using various VOIP services for years from Brazil and, of course, never get the kind of low latency numbers I get while in North America. But it's never been a problem. As somebody else points, out, jitter is another issue--bad jitter is a real problem.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to chrisedwards

Premium Member

to chrisedwards
said by chrisedwards:

london.voip.ms is in Europe. The data center is close to London, and the bandwidth has direct peering to with London, England.
JJ_GTA
Premium Member
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

JJ_GTA

Premium Member

From a phone *user* point of view, I don't care what you do or how you do it. Just make the dial tone reliable. In the old day of POTS we didn't ask Bell how the infrastructure was built but we sure did depend on it. (Nobody knew when the phone was out of service unless we actually used it, compared to now, us knowing in an instant with alerts for failed registrations)

The challenge is how does my $5+ per month make a viable solution to design and build to make sure I can count on you for a quality call every time. I have to expect outages and failures, just not on a regular basis.