Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

rosenqui to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck

Re: Rogers not to blame

said by NefCanuck:

The issue is going to be for the CRTC though, what power do they have to stop Rogers (or Bell or Shw or Telus) from raising their prices?

The best thing they could do would be to split off the portion of Rogers/Bell/Telus/etc. that controls the "last mile" into a separate company with its own set of books and transparent costs. Give that infrastructure company a regulated rate of return like they did in the monopoly telephone days for Bell, and force them to sell access to the last mile to anyone with published rates that are the same for all players.

We're partway there with the 3rd party Internet access regulations in place now, but there's not enough transparency in the numbers supplied by the incumbents. Since those numbers affect the wholesale rates approved by the CRTC, the incumbents can get creative in order to stop the 3rd parties from undercutting them too significantly in retail price.
Trencher
join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Trencher

Don't lump Telus in with the rest of them.. I'm pretty happy with my Telus rates (as long as they don't start enforcing their cap). I'm paying about $110 a month for 50/10 Internet with no cap and their second highest TV tier.