Premium
join:2011-06-15
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..

[Equipment] Modem Recommendation - Louisville, KY

Hello. Since I am being charged a lease fee for my internet modem, I am going to purchase my own. I see a list of supported modems on Insight's website. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good modem? I was looking at the motorola SB modems. I plan on only keeping 10 meg service as I had 20meg in the past and it did not perform.

Also, once I purchase my new modem, can I just hook it up to Insight? Or do I have to call and have it activated?

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY

1 recommendation

The only list I found appears to be old (only has DOCSIS 2.0 modems):

»www.myinsight.com/Help-broadband···7105.asp

I would recommend getting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I currently have the Motorola SB6121, which is on TWC's approved modem list, and have the 20.0 service and everything has been rock solid.

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

Once you have your new modem hooked up you will need to call Insight and provide them with the MAC address so it can be provisioned on your account.

smashcraft
Premium
join:2011-06-15
Louisville, KY

Ok. But, I am still on the Insight network and not sure if things are switched over yet. Will they still support the modems on TWC's website list? I still have Insight Internet and still pay my bill to Insight, even though TWC owns them.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY

In case you didn't notice I live in Lexington, which is also still Insight. They will pretty much support any DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 modem for their 10.0 and 20.0 service. Unless they've changed the policy since I last talked to them you have to use an Insight/TWC provided modem for 30.0 and 50.0.

I just figure it best to go with a TWC-approved modem, since we will eventually become a TWC network.