Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

[Anime] Winter 2013: Currently watching

It's that time again folks! New season, some meh things out there. Seems to be more "shorts" going too, 3 minute clips. I suppose when they suck, it's only 3 minutes of suckage.... Well, here's what I've seen thus far.

THE UNLIMITED Hyobu Kyosuke: Watching this is like watching Code Breaker, which in and of itself isn't a BAD thing, but that was just last season. Kyosuke is an ESPer, but he's no good guy. He's captured by the anti-ESPer group, and thrown in prison. Enter Andy Hinomiya, a seemingly powerless person in a prison for ESP users. The barrier on the place prevents abilities to be used, but Andy has the ability to negate abilities. Thus the action commences with the prison break. But Andy might not be who Kyosuke thinks he is...... I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes, even if I still get the Code Breaker blues from it.

Oreshura: Eita Kidou is a kid stuck on his studies. He doesn't have time for love, or girlfriends. His childhood friend, Chiwa Harusaki, obviously likes him, but he doesn't see her that way. (so he says) Enter the school beauty, Masuzu Natsukawa, who is also a studious student not interested in love and the attention she gets. So when she and Kidou and seated next to each other, she notices him, and eventually asks him to walk her home. On the walk she makes it clear she wants him to be her boyfriend, in name only, to keep the other boys away from her in school. If she's "taken" she can get her work done. It doesn't hurt she has some leverage to aid in his decision. This naturally doesn't sit well with his friend. I think it's decent thus far, but it's one of those series that can go bad really quick.

Vividred Operation: Hey look! Strike Witches season 3!!!! Oh wait, they're not witches, just young gals in the bloomers. We know this because they stick the lead (14 yr old) Akane's ass in your face in less than a minute. This is NOT a good start into a story. Akane is a carefree 14 yr old, she's afraid of heights, but loves her flying bike Wanko. She lives with her younger, more responsible (naturally) sister Momo, and the kooky-scientist grandfather. Their mother is in the hospital from an accident we see later, and their father is dead. Grandpa perfected the "Manifestation Engine", which has solved all of the Earth's energy problems. Then the aliens come...... They behave similarly to the enemies in Strike Witches, laser-beam shooting monstrosity which the normal forces cannot touch. Whodathunkit? So naturally our bloomer-wearing gal can do it, with her friend Aoi, who had an interesting flight in. Next up, docking..... er, yeah.

Coming next: Cuticle Detective Inaba, Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East, and the shorties I've seen thus far.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

I've watched episode 1 and 2 of Cuticle Detective Inaba and I hate it. The story is disjointed and non-existent for the most part. The gags for me fall flat and are not funny. I dont laugh, there is no plot or story. I think I am only watching the show at this point to bitch. I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about it.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East isn't want I originally expected, I am going to give it a few more episodes before I give judgement.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to captokita

I haven't seen anything from 2013 yet.

Currently, I'm watching an old series I've been wanting to see for a while: Kaze no Stigma. It's a nice mix of action, comedy and romance.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to captokita

Continuing....

Cuticle Detective Inaba: Inaba Hiroshi is a former police dog. He has a hair fetish, but can find anyone with just a strand of their hair. He also can take on abilities from said hair. Sounds interesting does't it? Weeeeelllll... Simply put, this show is really about slapstick comedy, not to be taken seriously. If you accept it for what it is, some laughs can be found within it. Episode one basically introduces everyone under the case of counterfeit yen. Don Valentino is behind this. He's a goat. Literally, he's a goat. He likes his money.... he REALLY likes his money. I found episode 2 funny as hell. Overall, the series isn't one to be taken seriously, and won't appeal to everyone.

Maoyu: Demons and humans have been waging a war, with each side claiming victory. Meet the hero! He charges into the castle of the demon king, to put an end to this once and for all! He was with a group, but took off on his own to attack the demon king. Hero moves in for the kill, only to find the demon king is a demonically well-endowed woman. She proceeds to tell the hero her plans, and his place in them. How war makes money for some, and keeps others in peace, fed, and living. Ultimately they enter into a pact with each other, and set off together to change the world, one step at a time. She really loves the hero, and the hero, well, seems the others in his group think he's dead, or a coward. Two episodes in, it's decent, and worth following for a few more to see what develops.

Kotoura-San: Ok, let's start by saying this is probably one of the most DEPRESSING opening minutes of an anime I've seen in a long time. Kotoura Haruka can read minds, though she doesn't understand this power, and as a result, alienates herself from her family and school friends by blurting things out she shouldn't. Eventually she transfers to a new school, and hopefully new life, even though things start the same way they did before. Enter Manabe Yoshihisa, the boy that sits next to her in class. He's not put off by her abilities, and befriends her in spite of her protests. This of course leads to jealousy from others in the class. This so far is decent, and I was completely unprepared for the beginning.

Amnesia: After a vivid dream, the heroine, (no name) wakes up, with absolutely no memories of who she is, where she is, or what she's doing there. Her co-workers bring her home, and she meets Orion, a spirit that caused her amnesia by coming in contact with her soul. In order to regain her memories, she needs to go about her daily life as if nothing has happened. She gets bits and pieces of her memory by interacting with the people she should know. Naturally, Orion can only be seen/heard by her. This is a reverse harem series, with the lone gal, bunch of pretty boys with stylish hair and clothing. The thing that stands out to me here is the color of everyone's eyes. Very different. Not really my thing, but the wife likes it, so I'll follow along.

Shorts:
Senyu: This is the only one playing that I really enjoy. Hero Alba and Royal Soldier Ros are out to level up and beat the demon king. Too bad Ros does nothing but put our hero down. "Why are you panting? Are you a pervert?" "I just killed that slime!" "Ah, so you have a slime fetish?" lol. 3 minutes is almost too short, because it's very good and funny.

Ai-Mai-Mi: 3 girls want to be manga artists, and are in the manga club, with only one being truly into it. This one is everywhere, and nowhere all at the same time. I get a feeling of "Kill me, Baby!" from this, but I LIKED that one. At least it's short.

Encouragement of climbAoi Prefers hobbies that don't require height. She's afraid of heights after hurting herself on the jungle gym. When she enters high school, she runs into her rambunctious friend Hinata, who is the exact opposite. She wants to take Aoi back to the mountain where they watched the sunrise many years ago. It's not BAD, and in 3 minute doses isn't too bad to watch.

Boku-no-imoutowa"Osaka-okan": Ugh, hate it. From the animation, to the blah dialogue, to just overall blahness. Thankfully it was only 3 minutes.

Still more to come, stay tuned!

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to captokita

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou- I don’t know how to feel about this series. I watch it every week, but I can’t say that I feel a lot of enjoyment watching it. On the same hand I don’t see it as a chore watching it either.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East- I like this series even though it appears to be feudalish era, though I did see cars in the last episode. I am not a big fan of feudal era shows. This kind of reminds me of FMA and Soul Eater mix, I plan on continuing the series

Cuticle Detective Inaba- Gah, I am still not enjoying the series, though I am still watching it. Maybe I am just not in tune enough for Japanese gags, though I can still watch and enjoy Gintama. I think I was expecting too much and now the series will always fall short.

Oreshura- Meh, it is alright and could be entertaining. I feel like we are on a razor thin edge where the series can be good or fall into repetition and boredom.

Space Brothers- I love this series, it is one of my favorites as of recent memory. I have nearly qq’d as of the last 2 episodes. Even though I realized that one of the main characters will not die, and I already see the out that they have wrote for him (the oxygen generator that is on the way, which Azuma will suggest to go to the more shallow part of the cavern now that they were denied for that being the main rendezvous point for the group.) . If you are not watching the series I would suggest it.

Ishida & Asakura- This is a strange show, its only 2 minutes long and gag based, much like Cuticle Detective Inaba, but it gains a benefit of only being 2 minutes so it doesn’t seem to go on forever like the latter.

Ixion Saga DT- Funny as always, nothing new to say about it.

THE UNLIMITED Hyobu Kyosuke- This show is very explodie and action packed. It is my replacement for Jormungand, though it is even more explosion and mayhem prone. It is entertaining because of this, we will see if the story can add anything to the series.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

Mid season bump

Kotoura-San: This series continues to be decent, with the emotional roller coaster ride from the start. I like the characters overall, but wonder just where it is ultimately going.

Ixion Saga DT: I still laugh my ass off at this one each week. The gags are great, and you just can't help but feel bad for Erec-sama.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: This show has gone down a bit for me, but I still really like it. I don't care for the direction some of the characters have taken, even if I can see why they've done it. I'm hopeful it will recover, but you can't tell.

Still catching up with Psycho Pass, Robotics:Notes. Fairy Tail has been awesome, and Hunter X Hunter has been decent as well for continuing series.

More later, but a quick couple shorts:

Senyu: This is the best of the shorts, funny as hell, and makes you wish it were longer than 5 minutes. Nice play on the hero/demon/sidekick RPG elements.

Straight Title Robot Anime: Ugh, this is horrible. Bad CGI, coupled with bad story, mixed with bad puns, equals complete and utter crap. Fortunately, it's a short, so you don't waste TOO much of your time watching it.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou- The show has bottomed out for me, which is good. The story is entertaining, but the show really isn't. I wish Shiina would get hit by a bus. Sorata deserves so much more, in this case Aoyama. Shinna is such than the wet blanket of a savant, in the literal since, I think she is retarded.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East- I am really liking this show, it is sad that it will only be 12 episodes, they have been dragging as of late as far a plot goes. I fear its just going to leave us hanging.

Cuticle Detective Inaba- I am still slogging though this show, last weeks 2nd half was far more entertaining for me, but that brought more reality to the show. I think I am just watching it to bitch.

Oreshura- It is growing on me, but I dont know where they are going with Masuzu past. We shall see. I havent watched last weeks episode yet, I'm hoping for good stuff.

Space Brothers- I love this series, it is one of my favorites as of recent memory. I am going to be sad when the anime ends. I hope they dont do a different ending and just wait for the manga to catch up and do more. It is really good.

Ishida & Asakura- This is a strange show, its only 2 minutes long and gag based, much like Cuticle Detective Inaba, but it gains a benefit of only being 2 minutes so it doesn’t seem to go on forever like the latter. I am enjoying this for what its worth, it seems to be very strange.

Ixion Saga DT- Funny as always, nothing new to say about it. I wish they would build on the story faster.

THE UNLIMITED Hyobu Kyosuke- Still loving this show, it is action packed and full of vigor. I am hoping it doesn't get cut short.

Maoyu- Meh, I just started to watch this based on a recommendation somewhere. It is ok, it is very economics based. I want to see more story between the 2 main characters.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

~Benjamin Franklin

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

said by hitachi369:

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou- The show has bottomed out for me, which is good. The story is entertaining, but the show really isn't. I wish Shiina would get hit by a bus. Sorata deserves so much more, in this case Aoyama. Shinna is such than the wet blanket of a savant, in the literal since, I think she is retarded.

I love Shiina, she's innocent/oblivious to a fault. She's incredibly gifted, but completely socially inept. She's never paid attention to anything other than her art before, and the feelings she's developing for Sorata are a complete shock to her. I think the story does a wonderful job of conveying this. Sorata is so annoying. Episode 12 was awesome, but it just took a 180 right in the next episode. Make up your mind you tool, if you love her, then tell her, if you don't, then get on with it. But this adds to Shiina's dilemma as she doesn't know what he's really thinking.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to captokita

I tried the 1st episode of cuticle detective, but I couldn't get into it.

On the other hand, this older show, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is great! Hilarious!

I liked Pet Girl also, but I've stopped watching for now.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

said by juilinsandar:

On the other hand, this older show, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is great! Hilarious!

That's one of my favorite series! Season 2 was too short, and I'm hoping it comes back for a 3rd season, as too much was left at the end of the 2nd.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to captokita

Man, I don't even keep up with the seasons.. I just finished Mayo Chiki last weekend and started on the third season of Hayate no Gotoku, but I'm not really liking it so far... the change in art style annoys me. According to Anime-Planet there's another season set for Spring 2013. Don't think I'll bother with it unless it goes back to JC Staff.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by sivran:

Man, I don't even keep up with the seasons.. I just finished Mayo Chiki last weekend and started on the third season of Hayate no Gotoku, but I'm not really liking it so far... the change in art style annoys me. According to Anime-Planet there's another season set for Spring 2013. Don't think I'll bother with it unless it goes back to JC Staff.

To me, it wasn't as funny as the previous seasons either.
--

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to captokita

Well, I just finished watching Anohana, and I haven't cried so much during a series since I don't know when. Nothing like watching a heart wrenching story to make a grown man feel like a wimp...... Only thing I CAN say is my wife cried even more than I did, and she hasn't gotten to the end yet. This is an example of what makes anime so good. Only other series that can near bring tears to my eyes from the music alone like this one is Clannad - that dang dango song.....

So if you haven't checked this one out yet, do so. Crunchyroll has it. It came out in 2011, and CR added it last year.

Anohana is a story about a group of friends, who after a tragic accident that took the life of their friend Menma, drift apart. Now in high school, they have to come to terms with that fateful day, and their feelings for each other, when one starts to see a ghost. I think that's a good enough lead in without spoiling anything.